Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my first fall this morning, nothing serious, no worries.

However I snapped off the shifter "gearchange pin" from the lever such that the threaded part is stuck flush in the lever.

I'm a complete, utter newbie with this stuff but wanting to learn so:

1. How do I remove the gearchange pin threaded end from the lever? I imagine I need a special drill bit, but I have no idea what one to use or if there's a special technique.
  2. Is there a black crinkle paint I can use to touch up the engine case? It's a bonnie black, if you haven't already guessed.

Thanks Guys.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Had my first fall this morning, nothing serious, no worries.

However I snapped off the shifter "gearchange pin" from the lever such that the threaded part is stuck flush in the lever.

I'm a complete, utter newbie with this stuff but wanting to learn so:
  1. How do I remove the gearchange pin threaded end from the lever? I imagine I need a special drill bit, but I have no idea what one to use or if there's a special technique.
  2. Is there a black crinkle paint I can use to touch up the engine case? It's a bonnie black, if you haven't already guessed.
Thanks Guys.
Sorry to hear about your fall; hopefully you'll learn from it and do better next time :)

Personally, I'm a bit of a novice at all this motorcycle engineering stuff as well but google is my friend and found this which may get you off the ground.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Necessity Is The Mother of Invention

Sorry to hear of your fall. I had a similar experience and sheared the shifter pin flush with the lever. I was a day's ride from home and tools and called the local bike shop that was preparing to close for two days. They suggested using a small pair of vice grips clamped to the lever to get me home. Looked weird, but worked like a charm and got me home and to the dealer who replaced the entire lever and peg since it was bent rather than trying to drill out the broken-off peg.

I still carry the vice grips "just in case".

·
Registered
7 Posts
My project bike had the peg snapped off as well. Since the peg was threaded into the shift lever I just used a drill a bit about 1/2 the size of the hole and drilled it from the front. It wasn't too long and it just spun the broken stud out the back of the lever.

I made a new peg out of aluminum and a sockethead bolt. Doesn't look too bad, and I have a one of a kind part on my bike. :)

Good luck on your removal.

Jeff

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I finally got the sheared gear-change pin out. I removed the lever and drilled a hole into the pin from the back side. I then inserted a screw into the hole and simply screwed the pin out.

Like Jeffery I made my own peg from a nut and bolt. A $2 fix. It's a little uncomfortable so I'll probably order the real Triumph part eventually.

Now I'm wondering if anyone has stock mirrors they'd like to sell. Especially since so many people are replacing them with Napoleans and such.

<sigh> Please folks don't drop your bikes. It's a pain in the @$$.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
when you get the new shifter pin, cut a slot in the back side so next time (God forbid) you can just use a screwdriver on it. Cuts the pain in the arse factor way down.

use "Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating" to match the black finish.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Somewhere in this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141616 there's a pic , etc of a folding shifter that fits our scramblers . I signed up to do a search but have to wait till I get "approved" so can't yet :(

I after reading all this stuff have ordered a

Product : Quantity : Price
Hepco Becker Engine Guard 5017080002 : 1 : 235.66

from newbonneville.com on Friday .

Seems that the cost of the bars will someday be paid back if I do a lite spill . I like the look anyway , am making my Scrambler more a street than off road :)

Glad you are not hurt .

cheers
spro

1 - 7 of 7 Posts