Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Well, I've run through a few tanks of gas with treatment in it- the problems still exists. Looks like I'll have to pull the carbs again...

But for some good news: I finally did get my seat recovered. Even though I basically just had them mimic the stock cover, it looks much better.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Re: fueling problems, sounds like lack of fuel ( filter, restriction, dirty pilot jet) or a vacuum leak. Does adding some choke help? If you can keep it running at low speed long enough squirt some water on the headers to find out if one cylinder is noticeably colder than the others.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #123 (Edited)
I pulled the tank- found the infamous kinked vacuum line causing the poor running conditions (presumably). This picture shows the tank pulled away from the frame and how easy it is to kink the hose. I did replace the line with a thicker one, but it still kinks.

If you saw another of my posts, I was contemplating picking up a 3-1 Remus exhaust system. Well, here it is:

Got it on the bike:

The rear hanger mount doesn't line up with the stock mount. Its about an inch too far forward... I'll have to see what I can do to make some sort of adapter seeing that the only other mounting point is the 6 old exhaust studs in the head.

Here's the cool part:
-Stock exhaust weighs 43 pounds including the eliminated LS exhaust hanger which is no longer needed since I don't run rear pegs
-Remus weighs in at 19 pounds total.
Weight savings of 56%!

Can't wait to hear how it sounds. I have not altered the jetting yet. There are a few small scratches in it from previous use, but its really in great condition overall. Don't worry, I'm holding on to the original system. Who knows, maybe I'll end up switching back...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Looking really nice!

It's great that you're taking the time and showing appreciation for such a worthy bike. I hope you realize return many fold!

121 - 127 of 127 Posts