Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Interesting about the low friction parts. My guess is that I would personally never notice the difference though?

I just got the following response back from the guys at Traxxion regarding rebuilding my rear shock:

"Travis,

Our lead tech is still unsure if he can rebuild that shock. You can send more pictures, or send it in and we can check it out. That is not a remote reservoir, so it will have to have a Schrader valve installed, which raises the price $25-$50.

Here is his response: That is not a resi it’s a remote rebound adjuster gizmo. I need a different picture to determine if it is rebuildable.I need a few more pictures close up of the lower half of the shock when the shock is in the same angle to the link as if it was installed on the bike. The shock is in the bike upside down and there seems to be very little space to install the Nitrogen port into the body."

I'll take some more photos and send them out. Who said they had experience rebuilding these shocks?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Traxxion just responded to me based on the photos of my shock that I sent them saying:

"That shock is not rebuildable, the area where the seal head goes is welded over."

There goes that idea.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I haven't heard back from Sprint Dampers yet, nor Newport cycles on a steering damper.

Hoping to clear the garage up a little and get the bike up on the work table. I'll be taking the rear body work, tank, front fender, and headlight off so I can bring it to a few local places and get painting quotes. I had white replacement decals at one point, hopefully they haven't gone missing. Does anybody know where to get the small rectangular raised flag stickers which go on the far back of the side panels?

I'm working with another guy on this site on the rear suspension (he's a wealth of knowledge!) and we'll see where that goes. Penske might be the option for me...

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and is looking forward to the New Year!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Managed to get the big bus onto the table today with the help of a friend. Sorry for the bad pictures, the poor lighting is accentuated by the dirty camera lens...

A mere hour later...

Going to take the body work to a few paint shops to get priced. I'm unsure what I'm going to do with the c/f rear hugger.

And the undetermined but most pricy part of the project...

Boy this thing needs a good cleaning! I just hope it doesn't turn into the same scale of project as my other triple last year...

The tires are toast. I've never seen a front tire wear like this before- the left side has significantly more wear than the right and its scalloped pretty good too. Probably going to go with a decent set of tires this time around, the best I've had on the bike several years ago were the dunlop qualifiers but they only lasted a few thousand miles. I'll read through some old threads on tire recommendations, anything off the top of your heads?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Nice to see your investment with the Speedie.

Regarding chain block: I just get on the Triumph site and started calling dealers all over the country.

Getting a dealer within any given area/state to name the longest standing dealers will give you the best opportunity of finding parts for these bikes. Out of state shipping usually offsets the savings of taxes.

I always find it best to locate a dealer with a part than to have a dealer order it from Triumph (which is in Peachtree, GA & takes up to months sometimes).

Tires:
Opinions on this subject are always vast. But, IMHO:
Fun= Dunlop Q2 (track) or Michelin standard Pilot Powers (street)
Longevity= Michelin Pilot Road II's (street only)
Note- sportbiketrackgear.com is tough to beat on USA tire prices.

P.S. - you are gonna match some front fork springs with a rear shock, huh? (see race tech for 0.90-0.95kg springs)

Look forward to your best yet riding season to come. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Cycle Gear has Bridgestone BT016 sport tires on sale right now for $210/pair; they're in the same class as the Qualifiers as far as how much they stick and how long they last.

Pilot Road IIIs are out now and are supposed to be the bestest thing ever in the wet and very similar to the PR2s in the dry. About $300/pair.

Can't beat Conti Motions for the bang:buck ratio. $160ish.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Just bought a set of Pilot Powers. I almost went for the Pilot Pures, but decided against it last minute. $286 mounted/balanced/old tire disposal fee from the local shop.

GP suspensions wants $875 for the rear Penske Shock, but will do a package with the front forks (not sure what that entails) for $1250. I think I'll just stick with the new rear shock for now seeing that I just re-did the front forks to factory spec. There's got to be an advantage or having them re-done by GP, but for the cost and my riding level I'm not sure if it would be worth it right now. The new rear shock and new tires will be 100% improvement in itself.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hi Tealetm,

Try this string - World of triumph (Lings) I have used them from the other side of the world and fouound them relaible.

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/trium....php?block_01=&block_02=302837&block_03=10002

Cheers Kiwigeoff:D
Darn you for sharing that link! I just spent £107.21 on the following:

1 x T2080049, BALL JOINT BOOT

3 x T2200229, EXHAUST PIPE SEALING RING

1 x 2400081T0301, KNPB FUEL TAP TYI

1 x T3600036, O RING, WTR PMP/WATER PIPE SL

1 x 2080043T0301, RUBBER. GEARCHANGE PEDAL

1 x 2056920T0301, RUBBING STRIP. SWINGING ARM

2 x T3331041, SCREW,PAN/HD,TX,M6X1.0X25,ENC

1 x T1260192, SEAL.CAM COVER PERIPHERY 3CYL

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Penske 8983 rear shock is on order (not through GP suspensions... but the dealer in PA doing a group buy). Should have it towards the end of January! I'm going to stick with last year's fork rebuild for now.

For those of you who have done a new shock with a remote reservoir (MOT...), did you need a certain or longer length hose for mounting?

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Penske 8983 rear shock is on order (not through GP suspensions... but the dealer in PA doing a group buy). Should have it towards the end of January! I'm going to stick with last year's fork rebuild for now.

For those of you who have done a new shock with a remote reservoir (MOT...), did you need a certain or longer length hose for mounting?
My shock came ready to fit....Penske I would have thought should have something on record for the length of hose required if not a quick measure up would put you in the ball park, a few mm longer is wise. this is my routing but you may figure something different ?

http://www.mottleybiker.com/page22.htm

Type of hose is braided and I'm sure Penske would have suitable stuff ready to fit ;-)

Cheers
Mot

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Allright- time for some photos. You can ignore me if you'd like!

I got dirty tonight- surprisingly dirty actually. I got home and found a package on my stoop- it was the parts i ordered from World of Triumph! Chances are I overpaid for some of the parts... but they got here in less than two weeks from Europe.

Does anybody have suggestions for a permanant fix to the seat lock? I've replaced the insides twice and the plastic parts keep breaking so I've been running a bit ghetto with a zip tie strapped to the cable...

Rear brake works... but from the looks of it could probably use an overhaul. I haven't overhauled brakes before, so I'm not sure what I'll need or where to get the parts.

Front brakes should be looked at too.

21 - 40 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.