Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
You can check the resistance of primary & secondary windings on the coil, but it won't tell you if the coil will stand up in operation. Only real way to tell is fit it & see. PVL brand seem better than Gill types in general.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Just wondering....

While you're overhauling the forks, have you considered what brand of fork seals to fit? Seems to be some interest in new SKF low friction material seals that has me curious...

http://youtu.be/J2he17P1D1U

Reduced stiction is something that people pay $$ to get with fancy fork coatings. Video comparison looks persuasive...tho' 'spose it wouldn't be up there if it didn't?

SKF don't list for a Speed Triple specifically, but KIT43K for Kayaba, 43x55x9.5/10.5 vs stock 43x55x10.5 would be a fit?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I disagree there kit :)

The spec is .15 to .2 for exhaust clearances. All of those are in spec. The point being that Triumph state that .15 is in spec at the service interval inspection, which must mean you can button up & come back again in 12,000 miles. In other words, Triumph anticipate that there is some level below .15 which is acceptable, but starting at .15, they don't expect it would drop to an unacceptable level within the 12k miles. Seem logical?

In practice, once the bike has done 10k or 20k miles, the rate of clearance loss - effectively valve seat settle/wear - tends to drop. So there's even less need to set at the high end of the tolerance. (Tho' this may not remain true at very high mileages.)

From the point of view of mechanical hammering at the valve stem/cam/shim interface & cam shaft drive system, the smallest gap that ensures valve closure when hot is best. So if .2 really isn't needed, which I suggest in Triumph's own terms it almost certainly isn't - at least beyond the initial, say, 10k settle in period of the motor - then .15 is likely to be better for the engine.

I wouldn't change any of those exhaust clearances. And on the intake side, I'd leave the .102s & try to reset the rest between .1 & .125, whatever is most convenient for swapping round the shims in place or in my spares box already.

Last time I checked the valves on mine, I didn't need to reset any (& I'd done them the previous interval so knew where they started). I've noticed the intakes tend to lose clearance a little faster, generally, but intake clearances down to .025 don't seem to cause any problems. Tho' obviously they should be rest back to .1 minimum at the service interval.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.