Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time... time to actually spend time on the Speed Triple now that I'm nearly done with my 72 Trident rebuild.

This fall/winter I'm going to put the bike on the bench and tear into it a bit. Things planned:

-new front/rear tires
-paint rims as they are scratched from a shoddy mounting job by a local shop
-clean clean clean
-steering damper
-repaint bodywork (?)
-new coils (if I can find any that is... everybody I've tried has them on backorder)
-valve adjustment
-fix rattleing alternator
-balance carbs
-refinish seat (cover is starting to tear)
-suspension work
-powdercoat/paint some parts
-wavy disks (maybe)
-ceramic coat my headers as I'm tired of spraying them every year

I know there are a lot of threads out there on front and rear suspension, so I'll read into them and go from there. I do have an extra set of front forks which I may rebuild, then just swap out the current forks. I've never had the rear shock out, but its original and most likely needs attention/replacement.

Suggestions or tips on these things or other suggestions while I have it apart?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I'd put carb rebuilds/rejet on the list if you haven't already done that.

Hayabusa 6 piston calipers are a nice improvement and they're cheapish on ebay.

Maybe rebuild the front brake master cylinder so it doesn't fail you at an inopportune time.

+1 on the pick up coil. Hopefully there will be more Nology ignition coils in the pipeline this winter as I still need one more.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just called Jet Hot- all I need to do it box up the pipes and send them out. They suggested the 1300 coating? Does anybody have photos of that?

I already have a set of 6pots on the front end.

Ignition coils are impossible to find (triumph and nology's are both on backorder until who knows when).

Pickup coil (I assume you mean crank position sensor?) has recently been replaced.

Time to do some research on suspensions... (hagon for the rear and ??? for the front)

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Hagon is the cheap stuff. Not as good as factory; I'd send the original to Traxxion rather than do Hagon, myself. IIRC you're not a small guy; get it sprung for your (geared up) weight while they're rebuilding it.

I'm running Sonic springs up front on mine. Helpful folks and reasonably priced. Revalving probably isn't necessary, but oil should be replaced every two years or so and having the adjusters set properly will make a world of difference. I had mine done down here at an open house kind of thing at the local dealer; there was a suspension company there doing it for $40. I wouldn't have known where to find them otherwise at the time, though I later learned that they're usually around at track days and races at the "local" tracks. (Can't wait for the GP track to open here!)

BTW, I really like the idea of EBC's "S-Drive" rotors, at least on paper. I'd most likely go with those if I was replacing my rotors, and I'd love to know if they work as well as claimed.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
-I haven't done to much research into rotors yet, but I'll add those to my list Kit.

-I did just win a "like new, no scratches or rips" seat on fleabay so I might be able to use that instead of recovering mine.

-I called Jethot- they quoted $230 plus shipping for the 1300 product.

-I also contacted Traxxion regarding front and rear suspension. Their e-mail response was:

"For the front, we can rebuild the forks, including polishing the tube,
checking for straightness, fresh oil, seals, etc. With springs matched to
your weight, it runs around $350. There may be some revalving options, but
we would have to see the forks and evaluate them. That ranges from an extra
$75 to $250 depending on the pistons we use. The valving will firm up the
bike, control brake dive better, and improve bump absorption.

For the rear, I am not sure if that shock can be rebuilt. Does it have a
reservoir? If it can be rebuilt, we can rebuild it for $150, or revalve it
for $200, and provide a spring matched to your weight and riding style for
$100-$125."

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
For the front, you can get springs for $100, oil for $25, seals for $40 and do a basic rebuild with new springs for half of what they're asking.

For the rear, they quoted me $250 + $100 for a spring to install a Schrader valve and rebuild it, but that was 3 or 4 years ago.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Won a used rear suspension setup from a 95 Speed Triple on fleabay. Comes with everything. Planning on sending this and my spare front forks to Traxxion for the rebuild. That way I can teardown and replace it all in one shot without having to wait. I'll probably sell my current suspension to make up some of the costs.

The new seat from fleabay came- must be from a different model but it fits and looks better than my original seat which is tearing. It has four folding hooks under it, and is upholstered differently. Haven't ridden it, but it looks good.

No word of finding coils anywhere though...

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Let us know how it goes with the suspension rebuild. The seat with the hooks is from a Trophy.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Old Seat:

New Seat:

Haven't tried to fit the seat cowl yet. Anybody know if it will fit off of the tops of their head? My guess would be no which is too bad...

Rear suspension from Ebay came in. Came with a bunch of bits which I won't need. The front forks are extras I had laying around. I'll talk with Traxxion this week, but what needs to be sent out? I assume the whole front for assembly, and just the rear shock without all the linkages? This definitely can be rebuilt, correct? My familiarity with the rear suspension setup is 0 so I'm going to have to start looking at it. I'm just assuming that this shock is what I need, I'd like to send the setup out before tearing my bike apart so I want to be sure.

I also picked up one used coil for cheap- gotta read up on testing coils here on the forum as I haven't done that yet. Still no word from Nology on when their coils will be available.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
You can check the resistance of primary & secondary windings on the coil, but it won't tell you if the coil will stand up in operation. Only real way to tell is fit it & see. PVL brand seem better than Gill types in general.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: there is no update.

Nology finally called me last week (I was expecting them to say that the coils were now in stock and they would be shipping them out..). They told me that they still didn't have them, but one of their distributors had an extra three. That distributor was supposed to call me, but I haven't heard anything.

I understand if soembody doesn't have parts, that they just don't have the parts but I'm pretty sick of dealing with Nology.

Any other sources for new coils?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Coils have been ordered (3 for $210 shipped).

Another e-mail has been sent to Traxxion on suspension.

E-mails sent to sprint mfg. and newport cycle for steering dampers.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Just wondering....

While you're overhauling the forks, have you considered what brand of fork seals to fit? Seems to be some interest in new SKF low friction material seals that has me curious...

http://youtu.be/J2he17P1D1U

Reduced stiction is something that people pay $$ to get with fancy fork coatings. Video comparison looks persuasive...tho' 'spose it wouldn't be up there if it didn't?

SKF don't list for a Speed Triple specifically, but KIT43K for Kayaba, 43x55x9.5/10.5 vs stock 43x55x10.5 would be a fit?

1 - 20 of 127 Posts