Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have to vent a little here. It seems lately that people have forgotten that this is a forum and that its open for public discussion on many topics no matter what your opinion is. You all have a right to an opinion and have a right to express that opinion and be be challenged on your opinion. The threads like the trident thread and the oil filter thread have really made me wonder what makes people tick. We have two great mods who allow us alot of room to talk and rarely step in but lately even they have come under attack when they hae felt the need to step in. It has to stop or this will just not be a fun place to visit anymore.

I think that the people who have been here a while just seem to have a thicker skin than those who haven't been here. You just have to know how to read some peoples posts and people with 100's of posts have left an imprint of their personality that people seem to forget about when they reply.

There seems to be a wide spread problem with posters when they get challenged by other posters. They get there defenses up and come out swinging instead of clarifying and discussing.

Truthfully its getting boring to see when certain posters make a post and the respondee gets all in a tizzle, makes a generalized comment about the forum then leaves in a fit. My 4 year old daughter doesnt throw temper tantrums like that so I would think that grown adults could handle a little ribbing and civilized debate.

The reason I am posting this is because it is getting really boring seeing the same posters getting flamed everytime they challenge someone or try and start some discussion. Everyone just take a step back and enjoy the forum and the very diverse knowledge and personality base that is here. Lets see if this thread can remain civilized......

·
Registered
65 Posts
May I fourth?

I third these sentiments, this is a great forum, let's keep it that way.
Simmer down, nah. Seriously, I completely agree with what Calliway stated. Peeps are just too darned sensitive these days. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it's wrong. :)

I'm not trying to start anything, I swear. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
:goodpost:

Hey thanks Calliway.

Nice post.

It is easy on a forum with lots of different personalities, cultures and experiences, to make the mistake that someone is "having a go" at you when they are just questioning something or wanting to know why?

I have to admit I like asking people why they say such and such.
Partly because when someone explains why they don't like a product or whatever it is, usually more useful info comes out.

Anyway Calli well done and well said.

I'll drink to that!:beerchug:

Cheers,
DaveM

·
Registered
128 Posts
Years on my ZRX forum have given me a thick skin, and
reminded me about the gift of free speech.

The guys here who want other folks post deleted, piss me off.

Some newbies don't have the capacity to do searches, that's just the way it is.

Not everyone has the same computer skills, live with it.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well you might have missed the point of my post but I am not sure..... :confused:

As for searching, you dont need to have major computer skills to search and that wasnt what I was talking about. If you need help in searching, ask. If your comp skills are weak, ask for help. Just dont take offence if you are asked to search or if someone asks you questions to clarify a point one might have been trying to make.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Years on my ZRX forum have given me a thick skin, and
reminded me about the gift of free speech.

The guys here who want other folks post deleted, piss me off.

Some newbies don't have the capacity to do searches, that's just the way it is.

Not everyone has the same computer skills, live with it.
Let me address your issues down the line. Since I'm not exactly sure what your meaning is or where you are coming from, bear with me.

#1. People here really don't need a thick skin. A sense of humor helps. Without that then yes, a thick skin will probably come in handy.

#2. As has been said many times, this is and has always been a privately owned site even after Shawn as sole owner sold the site a bit ago. Shawn set the tempo and vision and enabled the moderators giving them free rein and the current owners and admin. have continued this policy. The super moderators can censor and one touch ban if we feel this is necessary. Do we like or want to take these measures? No. Will we? Yes if the situation warrants these measures. Ask Mr. Nelson955. So, you will have to deal with this issue.

#3. I'm not sure who you are referring to as those guys and deleting whose posts. But, speaking for myself and I'm sure DaveM we get pissed off a lot too as do the other moderators. In case you haven't guessed, this is like herding cats.

#4. I'll combine the last two together.
If someone has the computer skills to fire up the box, get on line, find this site and forum. Then read the AUP, stickies and introduce themselves then they are at a skill level to run a simple search.

For ALL members:

One thing I'd like to point out to ALL. Next time you loggin check the stats. on the different forums. Our posts and threads are about neck and neck with the twins. This site started with the twins. The only other forum that beats us in post and thread count are those goofballs:D in the S3 forum.
With this traffic DaveM and I have to start everyone with the same broken record. Read the AUP, stickies and please introduce yourself.
Also, we have seen what happens when a forum or site gets out of control and it isn't pretty. I have seen it take months for owners and moderators to get things back under control, sometimes never.
With the traffic count we have and the differing personalitites of the member count DaveM and myself may seem heavy handed at times but loosing control here isn't going to happen and maintaining a GP13 attitude will be enforced. Believe me, there really isn't much that happens here that we don't discuss between ourselves and the administrators.

What started this was the Trident thread. If the OP had made the statement that this was his opinion and what it was, he probably wouldn't have received as much heat. Especially as it was his first post and didn't come close to observing any kind of proper etiquette that we ask for here. IMO he was just begging for it. Even then he wasn't treated too harshly. We've seen worse.

On the other hand one would be blind to see the difference in attitude of the membership towards a new member that does observe proper internet ettiquite. They are welcomed on board with open arms. Basically, here you get like for like.

In those immortal words in the movie Mars Attacks "Why can't we all just get along?

Don

·
Registered
450 Posts
Calliway, thank you for taking the initiative once again. I feel this thread is helping to clear the air a bit and put a little perspective back into what we are all about.

This forum is a treasure of helpful individuals and a ton of experience so that I don't have to reinvent dial tone. And a great impetus to keep adding to my farkle list:)

Thank you to you and our relentless mods.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Excellent post - and I can say from the perspective of a new member of the forum: the mods here are pretty darn good cat herders.:D

Seriously, and I've said this in another post, this is one of the best forums I've seen on the net for reasonable and varied viewpoints from reasonable and varied riders.

I appreciate forums that allow you to pose different views of a subject - and agree to disagree, if necessary - all the while not taking themselves too seriously. It must be a very difficult balance to strike, but this place does a great job.

·
Registered
515 Posts
As one who has recieved a precived "blast" in the past by members, mods and on-lookers for what some & I saw as a simple suggestion (which in the end was acted on) I would suggest to all that no-one really wants to upset anyone here and just like getting your kids (and Dads) to eat your greens the Mods have a hard time keeping everything on track.

If your new just remember that "no-one knows you" and just like if you were in a pub and and came out blasting on a topic, people will think *** and blast back. If you take the time to get to know people on this sight they really just love helping you (well that's what I have found)

To those who have been around for some time that gives you no more rights than a newbie but SO much more insight into the ST and the questions, answers and expectations would have all been heard before and just remember "we were all new once", even OnD who I think has the best insight into the ST than anyone I have meet and I personally enjoy his comments or otherwise (which makes me wonder OnD, do you ride or just read about the ST LOL)

Finally, Trident post, Oil post, brake post, headlight post, tire post, can't get the seat back on post, heat post, another Oil post, Damm Triumph Australia post will always be here and it took me some time to understand that and now I don't have a problem with any post be it from a Newbie, Oldie, Mr.5million poster or someone who just bought a FJR - they are all good.

Cheers
Poddy

PS: Be careful out there, that cloud with the Silver lining just might be a soccer mom in a SUV - LOL

PSS: how do you get the smily faces in a post, I could never do that?

·
Banned
138 Posts
It is often that this comes up on forums, and it is perfectly normal and natural. What I am seeing here is a relatively moderate influx of new users, and the older members who think because they have a higher post count that they are right. Granted there is often times some validity to that statement, but not always.

Reading tone through text is a very hard thing to do, and often the message someone is trying to convey is misinterpreted. I will say that Calliway, I have read your posts since I joined here, and they are very informative and I appreciate your insight, but sometimes you come off as condescending. In the oil filter thread I asked a specific question, which was who makes the OEM filter, and then I got a 1,000 word essay on why I should use an aftermarket filter, which isn't what I asked. ;)

Furthermore, as with any forum, there are certain things that the long standing members regard as "fact". And when a new user comes in and questions it, and then they get jumped on, they will obviously become defensive. So before we blame all the new users, as established users you guys set the tone for the whole forum - even more than the mods do. The way to deal with this is to "kill them with kindness" so there is no reason for them to have to get defensive.

Anyway... what do I know? :cool:

- Anthony

·
Registered
24 Posts
Agreed

Well said, Callaway.

If ever I flame someone, whether they deserve it or not, I beg of someone here to tell me to get a life. Because at that point I need to. It's a message board, and a great one at that. But really, if I ever sink to that level I need to unplug my cpu, go outside and find something else to focus my attention on.

I realize I have only have a whopping 22 posts, so I am feeling confindent in my ability to seperate life from hobby.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
"Like Herding Cats"

I like that one, and for one, would love to see it done!!!!lol.........
I doubt my three Yorkies/Silky terriers could even begin to successfully 'herd cats'...........

PS: You owe me a new keyboard, this one has Tea n Whiskey combo all over it mate............!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Let me add this..... this thread was never about new members vs. old members or high posters vs low posters. That really has very little relevance in what I was saying so I hope everyone understands that I dont want this to divert into regulars bashing newbies or regulars bashing newbs asking frequently asked questions.

I believe that those things have been covered and 95% of the time the just search it out response has been canned and replaced with the basic info and then the search request. I dont think anyone here has a problem with guiding new members to threads that will help them out.

Please dont degrade this thread into a black and white newbs vs. regulars thread.

I appreciate everyones response and keep the conversation going.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Why! :mad:

I never cease to wonder why someone can take a good thread, such as this one, and purposely try to turn it to their advantage? Cal went out of his way to try and appeal for some civility and common manners and I'll be damned if someone can not accept that uses it to weasel in their own agenda. That really stinks. I think some need to go back and read the original post and try to get in synch with the message. It was a damn good one.

And I might not get as much mileage in as Poddy but I am on my third set of tires in two years, as if should matter to anyone. I do not ride long trips everyday, as some do, but even though I do not work I do try to ride every day. I have always said I am not as expert a rider as others, but I do not embarrass myself. I am proud of being on official record with a 1000 mile Iron Butt ride on my ST. I then rode home 25 miles from the finish and posted on the forum before going to bed.:D That was because I enjoy the forum and the way Don and Dave facilitate it. Most other members seem to enjoy it also, but there are always some that are offended, no matter what. I think it is relative to their perspective.

Post count is so immaterial that anyone who mentions it uses it as a crutch, or else they have many envies. We have many new members that quickly establish themselves as people that you want to converse with, and then we have others that you want to reach out and slap. The difference is that some want to contribute, while others think it is all about themselves. It is easy to tell them apart.

Sorry for the rant but I could not stand by in good conscience and let this one pass.

Even though I urged some to re-read the original post, I have no doubt this will be the end of it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.