Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have owned my 1971 Triumph Bonneville for 26 years now.
It started off going all stock and along the way I went from cruiser to cafe racer style to what it is now.

I'm looking for suggestions or ideas. :confused:
I have most of the stock parts but I prefer the look of the 1970 and older Triumph's but I have owned this bike since I was 17 so it's not going anywhere now.

One idea I have is to install black headlight ears and side covers that look similar to the older Triumphs. If I do that I might put a new seat cover on.
The other idea I have is to make it look more like a works race bike.
So before I begin a rebuild again please help me bounce around some other ideas.
Thanks,
Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
Have you thought about a fly screen? I've got a 72 TR6RV, and I would never have considered one til I saw them here. Are you thinking paint too?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't considered a fly screen. Can you post a picture of it?
Yes I'm also thinking about the paint as well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
A Few Questions for you:

Budget.
How much are you willing to spend?

Types of Mods:
Cosmetic? Performance? Both?

Complete rebuild? Semi-resto?

Era:
I know you stated 70 and older, but what specifically about that era did you like?

My idea:

I really like all black, never really seen it on a classic bike before. You could call it The Bonneville Shadow Edition. Maybe a bobber style bonnie all black would be slick. Black accented with chrome or polished stainless steel.

Just food for thought,

Joe

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My budget is open depending on how much I like the idea.

I'm happy with the performance now. I have the BUB ent. TT pipes with silencers on it now. A 6 volt Andrews coil. Boyer Bransden electronic ignition. The carbs are new.
So I think cosmetic changes are the most important.

About 20 years ago I painted the engine all black. I had low bars on it too. It looked good but I do prefer the stock engine look now now.

I'm going to completely strip it down and start it all over again. I did the crank about 7 years ago so all the engine needs is maybe rings? So I'll be re-painting and re-polishing eveything. I'm even planning on finally rewiring the complete bike nice and tidy too.

I like how everything looks so balanced on the older bikes. The shape of the headlight, oil tank, headlight holders, and that they just look older. My bike as stock just looks a little unbalanced to me. The headlight shape, air boxes, exaust style don't match the rest of the bike design. That's just my opinion. But I greatly respect the all stock ones I have seen. If I had more than one Triumph I would go all stock. But I don't and can't.

·
Registered
395 Posts
More pics of your bike would help. I notice your air filter. maybe the pancake style would help. i love the look of mine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I added two more pictures.
If I add the old style sidecovers that look like the older bikes I will change the air filters to the pancake style. I have thought of that. The K+N filters that are in this picture are 26 years old.
I bet it's time to toss them anyway. However I did clean and re-oil them every year.

I have been thinking about replacing the exaust pipes with something similar to the Thruxton racers. Longer pipes that sweep upwards with a brace close to the ends.
But I shamelessly had my daughter record me taking off and driving by and I really like the sound of the large diameter pipes I'm using now.
Does anyone know where I can see a video of the Thruxton pipes in action that are in this picture?

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Moto6t I'm VERY impressed! Thanks for posting the link and pictures.
Now that is one amazing machine!
I really like the sound. It's incredible!
And I thought my pipes had a nice gnarl to them...
I'll post a video of mine idling and roaring tomorrow.

What type of cams are you running?
And what has been done with the engine?

No matter how many times I watch that video I can't get over how great your bike sounds.
It must be really loud when you are reving around the 5 or 6,000 RPM?

·
Registered
330 Posts
'Thruxton'

...no,its not too loud at all considering there straight thru silencers(see film)! I had to shut it off as all the pictures/photo's were falling off the walls inside the(attached) house... Its got a morgo 750cc kit plus many special parts...I've had it for years...Have a look at this(for the sound,on the road).... Cheers...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I made up my mind.
I just ordered a set of sidecovers that resemble a 1960's triumph oil tank, front fork gaiters, and I just picked up a new K70 front tire today.
I'm also going to change my air filters to the pancake style.
Once I install the new parts I'll post a picture.

I'm thinking about changing my seat back to the original flat seat too?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The new parts just arrived.
-fork gaiters.
-side panels that resemble the oil tank on an older Triumph.

Now it's time to think about the paint. All black again? or what color?
I'll need to decide that before the teardown.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not yet but I am. I like the look of the velocity stacks more. But I drive my bike too often to risk using those.
I'm also trying to figure out which headlamp ears in black will fit on a 1971 OIF?

·
Registered
184 Posts
my 71-650 about 1978 when i was 18, my first rebuild with my brother
bread box tank for long distance riding - i got 200 miles to the tank at 80mph

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's quite a custom bike. Did you have rear sets on it?

I made some progress today in the blistering heat. I installed a set of headlight ears from a 60's triumph. Now to find a keyed ignition switch that will fit in the left ear.

I installed the imitation oil tank side covers too. I'm not very impressed with the quality. I'll have to re-mould the edges with fiberglass so you can't see the cut edges.

But on a good note I also installed the fork gaiters. They look great!
What a job. I had to disasemble the front end and take the forks apart. But it was worth it.
After I change my front tire and get it all back together I'll post more pictures.

It's looking good.

·
Registered
184 Posts
yeah busted fork gaiters look crap,
rear set made by reversing the gear lever -opposite 1 up 3 down ,shorten brake rod , bolted fold up pegs into rear engine mount plate
got tt pipes made ,recromed rims cromed spokes, powder coated frame, hubs, fork sliders, made a cardboard ductail for template then got it made from aluminum with a tool compartment in the back,ducati front mudguard

-Ken

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm also trying to figure out which headlamp ears in black will fit on a 1971 OIF?
I think you'll find that the early black fork ears (66-67) will not fit without mods... too short. However the T140 models may bolt right up. But these have holes for signal lights. Here's what I've done to my 72... a work in progress. My next mod is the fork ears and the bucket head lamp shell.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Hi Headtube,
Your bike looks really good. I like the side covers. What brand and model are they?
I managed to install a set of headlight ears from a 60's Triumph. It wasn't too bad modifying them to fit. All I had to do was open up the rear of the ears to an open slot intstead of a round hole.

Next I'm going to change the air filters to the round older style.
I'm also thinking about changing the seat back to the stock seat.

I have a few ideas about the paint. I really like the all black look. But it has been all black the entire 26 years that I have owned the bike. I'll keep the side covers, and headlight ears all black.
Idea #1 in a combination of tangerine orange and white on the tank and fenders like the old TR6 or the first Bonneville.
Idea #2 Pearl blue similar to the old Thunderbird on the tank only. The fenders, headlamp ears, and sidecovers will be all black.
Idea #3 All black.

So here it is with the new parts.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts