Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, was cleaning my bike the other day and noticed, wear/rubbing on my chain gaurd, kinda ground away in on the outside edge, where it dips, just behind the rear shocks.
anyway checked chain and had heaps of play, 60mm, or so.
out with the manual for my first chain adjust.
all went well, sort of.
now the tight spots have no play at all, and the loose spots would be about what the manual recommends.
when spinning wheel on centrestand after pre warming and lubing it seem like its so tight it has trouble running over front sprocket.
bike has 24`000 miles. am assuming original chain etc.

Is it time for a new one, or can i re adjust it. ?
Did i do something wrong, when adjusting it ?
how soon should i replace it ?
thanks for your help
cheers miles

·
30,309 Posts
The chain should be adjusted to match the spec at the tight spot.

Sounds like you have some nasty tight spots though. If it were me, I would check the 20 link length, which will tell you whether the chain is stretched past allowable limits. It might be.

I don't have the spec for that here now, but it is in the Haynes and OEM manuals (not owners manual) if you have either of those.

Also, you really need to pay closewr attention to it - 24K miles and no adjust, and allowing it to get to 60mm slack - well that's just not looking after it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
One of the best things I ever did was replace my chain after 18,000 miles. I recommend if you can't adjust it well, to replace the chain. Make sure not to over tighten it. I know it's tempting, but don't do it. Mine had been overtightened by many mechanics and this causes stress on the bike and also causes that stretching to happen prematurely. Better it be too loose, than too tight. My chain was trashed but my sprockets were still good. I will change those at 36,000.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Sounds to me like it's definitely time for a new chain and sprockets mate.
Phil+1. I replaced my chain and sprockets on my bonnie at 28,500 miles. I was at the end of my chain adjustment. I lube my chains every 1000-1500 miles.
As propforward said (Also, you really need to pay closewr attention to it - 24K miles and no adjust, and allowing it to get to 60mm slack well that's just not looking after it.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts