Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery is finally testing weak on the load tester. The other day it started really slow on a colder morning after sitting for only a week. I know the charging system is A-OK now, but the battery is due.

My question is; where can I find the best deal on a replacement? My current battery is a Yuasa YTX14H-BS. I'd like the same or another with comparable quality at a great price. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
My question is; where can I find the best deal on a replacement? My current battery is a Yuasa YTX14H-BS. I'd like the same or another with comparable quality at a great price. Thanks!
The Wal-Mart ES14BS is an AGM battery that has worked quite well in three different motorcycles. They're made by Johnson Controls. Surprising what you find when you need a battery when nothing else is open and it's good. My '98's is now about two years old.

Brad

Battery acid is installed by the consumer, I like that.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
24,359 Posts
I have one of those Deka Gelmatt jobs in my Daytona and had one in my old 04 Sprint ST.
Seemed like a good unit.
But I like the look of these new lightweight Shorai things.

Cheers
Dave

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
363 Posts
What did you end up buying?

I bought a Ballistics Performance battery:

Had it in for about a month now, no issues starting, even in 49f weather. Better quality than Shorai as well.

·
Registered
1998 T595 Daytona 2014 Kawasaki Ninja1000ABS
7,810 Posts
Just wondering what you are basing your statement on quality differences between Shorai and Ballistic. Did you own a Shorai and not like?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I base it on a multiple reviews concerning the two and owning a Ballistics the following points are what I have found. I will say however, that the Shorai batteries in reviews I have read put out "slightly" higher voltage, like .1-.2, however both are far better than lead-acid batteries.

First and the biggest strike is against the Shorai terminals that were terrible and flimsy, they broke, and bent, and did all kinds of nasty things. Shorai did however fix this with a revised terminal design, so props to them.

Second, the internals of the Shorai are essentially the same thing as the Ballistic, however, it is a significantly larger and heavier package, raising the question of why are Shorais so big? Neither has an over discharge curcuit so it's clearly not that.

Third, and most important to the life span of the battery, as of last time I looked, Shorai does not have a balancing terminal on their batteries. Without this you cannot refresh the battery to new and extend it's life and accurate power delivery. Ballistic batteries have this terminal.

Either way, I think both would suite well, however the Ballistics 8 cell is significantly smaller and lighter than the Shorai, while providing the same function at similar price point with the potential for longer life.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still haven't made my battery purchase. I have a couple questions about the Ballistic.

1) What did you pay for it?

2) Since it's smaller what do you do to prevent it from shifting around in the battery box?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
Still haven't made my battery purchase. I have a couple questions about the Ballistic.

1) What did you pay for it?

2) Since it's smaller what do you do to prevent it from shifting around in the battery box?

Thanks.
2) The Li battery usually comes with foam packing that can be placed around the battery in your battery box. I know Shorai batteries come with it.

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
From what I've read, the Shorai charger plugs into the battery and has the capacity to balance charge. No need for an extra terminal to do so.

·
Premium Member
24,359 Posts
So Sardinecan what did you go with?

I am very happy with the performance of my Gelmat type Deka battery but like the weight savings on these new dry-cell batteries.

Next time I need a new battery I'll be plumping for a Shorai or Ballistic, unless there is something even better by then.

Now my charging system is fully upgraed, ststor, mosfet reg/rec and heavier guaghe rerouted wiring etc I hope my Deka lasts for ages :)

cheers
Dave

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So Sardinecan what did you go with?

I am very happy with the performance of my Gelmat type Deka battery but like the weight savings on these new dry-cell batteries.

Next time I need a new battery I'll be plumping for a Shorai or Ballistic, unless there is something even better by then.

Now my charging system is fully upgraed, ststor, mosfet reg/rec and heavier guaghe rerouted wiring etc I hope my Deka lasts for ages :)

cheers
Dave
Hi DaveM - I finally got around to replacing my battery about a week ago. After hemming and hawing and wanting to get the Ballistic I ended up with a Yuasa YTX14H-BS, same as I had before for $77 USD shipped to my door.

I just couldn't justify the Ballistic, mainly because of the extra money on a special charger (I know you don't have to have it, but I would have wanted it). Plus I may have needed to fiddle with my negative lead from the R/R and it was more trouble than it was worth.

The Yuasa is the high performance series and is rated for 240 CCA if I recall correctly. Started the bike real good the other morning in low 30 degree F weather.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Second, the internals of the Shorai are essentially the same thing as the Ballistic, however, it is a significantly larger and heavier package, raising the question of why are Shorais so big? Neither has an over discharge curcuit so it's clearly not that. Not true. You need to do some more reading. The Shorai's use prismatic cells vs the cylindrical cells (used in power tools!) in the Ballistic. The Ballistic can't even crank my Thruxton! 3 of them failed to do so and the Shorai has worked perfectly

Third, and most important to the life span of the battery, as of last time I looked, Shorai does not have a balancing terminal on their batteries. Without this you cannot refresh the battery to new and extend it's life and accurate power delivery. Ballistic batteries have this terminal. Shorai has an internal charge level regulator/balancer, you don't even need the special charger you need with Ballistic

Either way, I think both would suite well, however the Ballistics 8 cell is significantly smaller and lighter than the Shorai, while providing the same function at similar price point with the potential for longer life. ?? Significantly ??

specs for the 8 cell Ballistic:
Dimensions (Standard): 4.5" (L) x 2.5" (W) x 4.25" (H)
Weight: 768 grams (1.7 lb)
CCA: 275

Specs for the Shorai equal:
Dimensions: 5.83L x 2.6W x 4.13H
Weight: 1.88lb
CCA: 270
Just need to play devil's advocate here and not attacking you in any way.

I have had the complete opposite experience with Ballistic and Shorai. I bought Ballistics for both bikes and while it worked for about a month in the Monster (11.4:1 compression) it started failing shortly after and I replaced it with a Shorai which hasn't missed a beat. As mentioned, 3 new Ballistics wouldn't even crank my lower compression Thruxton motor right out of the box. Installed a Shorai and cranked perfectly. Now I have a 944cc kit with higher compression (11:1) and the Shorai is still cranking strong every time....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts