Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
For very sound business reasons I am about to relocate to Singapore for a 2 year overseas posting. I may move after 1 year to Shanghai. Very exciting BUT......

It appears that the Singapore government has serious restrictions on importing vehicles. I cna bring a car or bike and pay import duty of 12% of the value but the vehicle MUST BE LESS THAN 3 YEARS OLD!!!!

As I have a 2001 955 Tiger I am stuffed. I don't want to upgrade as my bike has Ohlins, Behringer brakes and other good stuff. I am considering parking it up and buying a cheapy locally but I am unsure if I can be Tigerfree for this period of time. How depressing.

Does anyone have any experience with importing bikes to Singapore.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I know the three year age limit on vehicles has been in place in Singapore for years, it's a source for cheap import/export vehicles. Secondly you have to consider the license to even own/drive a vehicle (yes, I do mean an "owners license", not a drivers license) - this can cost you an arm and a leg + a bit more. I know my native born Singapore friends pay about 3 times more for the license than what the pay to actually buy their cars.
Remember also Singapore is tiny, you might even be better parking up a cheap something across the border in Malaysia (if possible) for the longer treks north....

Good luck though, remember no chewing gum and no standing water in your plants - all stuff they fine you for. Try some Durian fruit - it's a once in a lifetime experience. If nothing else, make sure you take some time out for some trips up through Malaysia and Thailand (Cameron Highlands come highly recommended, and Chang Mai is suppose to be fantastic).

[ This message was edited by: TorqueyT on 2006-11-30 18:26 ]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts