Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought home my brand-new '09 Tiger This weekend. I've been a tried-and-true Triumph fan after 13 years and 80k miles on my '96 Adventurer. I was instantly in love with the new Tiger, but my girlfriend, not so much. On the Adventurer, she was shielded from the wind by ... me. On the Tiger, her elevated position means that the wind from my touring screen is directed straight at her head.

Has anyone encountered something similar? Has anyone come up with any work-arounds? It'd be a shame if I finally managed to get rid of the stiff neck and shoulders that came with fighting the highway winds on the Adventurer, only to have them tranferred to my passenger.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
There are aftermarket windscreens that may provide more help in this department--depends on the sitting height of your GF. Most threads I have read on the tiger1050.com forum on this subject seem to indicate where the pillion is an experienced pillion few if any problems are noted. Where the pillion is less experienced, more problems are noted.

Some pillions experience buffeting which to me is a much bigger problem than wind noise or just too much wind. Different helmets can react differently for the pillion. I am assuming your pillion is wearing a full face helmet--if not, disregard all my comments.

My daughter who is not an experienced pillion rode behind me for 50 miles and said she will not ride on the Tiger again because of the forward slope of the pillion seat. She rides pillion behind me on the Bonneville with no problems.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't go pillion on my Tiger but I am 5' 10'' and do experience turbulance. It is not just turbulance but also noise, getting water and road muck dumped on the helmet/visor and significant to your pillion, a turbulance behind my back. This is cold, has dislodged many a hair tie and some light luggage - maps etc tucked under my cargo net. The hair tie and maps have stayed put with other bikes so I take this as charateristic of the Tiger.

I have a Givi touring screen. This is higher and wider than most screens. Perhaps if I was shorter this would work but it dumps the air at head level and behind me. I have also tried a Tiger with a Varo screen (? name) which is lower than the Givi but comes with a spoiler. This dumps the turbulant air at chest height allowing my head to travel through smoother air. However, with this screen, I feel that on a cold wet day I would be more exposed to the elements which in the long run would degrade my riding and cause other problems.

In some ways I feel that it is not just the screen but the overall shape of the bike. I have not found a really good solution. If I was to choose at the moment, I would love to try the Givi with a spolier - if they made it. In all I feel that this is something that the 955 Tiger was more accomplised at that the 1050 Tiger.

Sorry can't help further

Lil

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If you're still having problems I'd be happy to take her (the girlfriend) off your hands, as I've got a '955 and no such issues.

Please enclose some pictures so we can discuss a final price for her (willing to go up to £35) :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've just changed from a 955 Tiger to a 1050 Tiger and we did a 250 mile ride at the weekend. My wife is not a long term experienced pillion,but she has done 3 European trips on our 955 and clocked up 10,000 miles. She is happy with the 1050 because being higher up means she has an unobstructed view.And she is not experiencing any great problem with being more exposed. Hopefully your pillion will get used to the change. We use a topbox and this gives the pillion more safety,comfort and practicality.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We test rode an R1200GS BMW, Tiger 1050 and 955 Tiger before deciding on a new end of run 955. The biggest issue with the 1050 was the pillion's ride. The pillion seat is low at the front so my wife slid in to me at every bit of braking. My wife is a confident pillion and doesn't bother holding on to either me or the bike.
I've written on other threads about the wind noise on the 955 Tiger. In experimenting with a taller screen I've managed to get me well protected but made it really bad for my wife with quite extreme buffeting.
I read of someone having their 1050 pillion seat built up to make it level or slightly sloping down to the back which transformed the pillion's ride.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Pillion?

:) I told the Mrs. that the Tiger is a one person bike...I had already removed the rear pegs...She can ride on the Rocket and that's it...

·
Registered
114 Posts
We test rode an R1200GS BMW, Tiger 1050 and 955 Tiger before deciding on a new end of run 955. The biggest issue with the 1050 was the pillion's ride. The pillion seat is low at the front so my wife slid in to me at every bit of braking. My wife is a confident pillion and doesn't bother holding on to either me or the bike.
I've written on other threads about the wind noise on the 955 Tiger. In experimenting with a taller screen I've managed to get me well protected but made it really bad for my wife with quite extreme buffeting.
I read of someone having their 1050 pillion seat built up to make it level or slightly sloping down to the back which transformed the pillion's ride.
My wife had exactly the same sliding forward issue. I got so fed up with it by the end of our first ride that it become a solo bike only. Didnt have any complaints about the wind but she also found her legs very cramped (she is 5'10"). Thought the Tiger would be good for the two of us to do some long rides but things didnt turn out that way. I am going to sell the Tiger and get a Street triple instead as it suits the type of solo riding I do better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts