Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Just picked up my first Triumph (2001 Tiger). Beautiful bike. One problem - electrics! I put in a new battery (Yuasa), had the stator checked (all OK), and replaced the regulator because the charging rate was too low. The only electrical modification is that both headlights work ( as per new relay). Without the headlights on the charging rate is 14V (measured with a multimeter across the battery) at both idle and 4000rpm. With the headlights on the rate drops to 12.6V. I have checked through previous messages regarding headlight relays and I don't know the brand or type. Does anyone have any ideas on what the charging rate should be and why the sudden drop in charging rate? Thanks :cool:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have voltmeter mode on my radar detector, which I am using on my Tiger :)
Usually it shows around 12.6V during idling, 13.2V ~ 13.8V during riding.
Charging rate increases with rev. - at least on my Tiger.
I just wonder if your alternator has correct output power, maybe it is not giving full ~400W at 5000 rpm. Maybe you shall have carried out power output test on it ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Slayer. Alternator output checked - no problem. Triumph headlight relays have been fitted to run twin headlights. When relays for twin headlights is disabled by removing Fuse 1, charging rate is 13.7v @3000rpm. Replace fuse, both headlights work, and charging rate drops to12.6v.
My bike (2001) has headlight on/off switch on handlebar. Is this usual for this model Tiger? In Australia the headlights are hard-wired.
Does anyone alse have a problem with maintaining battery charge?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hmmm...Since it is charging fine w/o headlights, then the problem would be incorrect relay. I read some posts before about relays in Tiger, that some may discharge battery. You can try to take the relay off or try different brand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked other threads and found that both are correct Hella relay part number and was supplied and installed by Triumph dealer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
BATTERY TESTING

Firstly if the stabilized open circuit voltage is below 12.5v, the battery needs charging or is knackered. After charging allow the battery to stand for at least 1 - 2 hours before retesting.

LOADED TESTING: There are two types of loaded tests for motorcycle batteries.

LOW-LOAD TEST: Basically, this means turning on the bike’s lights and taking a voltage reading at the battery.

The battery should have at least 11.5v DC with the lights on.

HIGH-RATE DISCHARGE TEST: This is the best test of battery condition under a starting load, you should have more than 10.5 volts while the starting motor is cranking the engine. If your readings are lower than suggested then the battery is Knackered.

R/R TESTING: With the engine running you should have 12.5 to 13 volts with the engine at tick-over. And once revved to 5,000RPM you should have something like 13.5 to 14.5v but not more than 16v.

HTH

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Battery ok. Problem of low charging rate occurs when fuse No 1 is re-inserted and both headlights are on. With original lighting configuration charging rate is 13.7v.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Austiger, looking at the numbers, it seems that your charging rate is ok.

To be certain, you need to see what the charging rate is at higher RPM. A motorcycle charging system will not put out maximum voltage until over 3500 revs, in the case of the Tiger that's 400W at 5000 RPM. Give it a go and between 3500 and 5000 RPM you should see 13 - 14.5 volts.

I think your charging system is fine from the figures you give.

[ This message was edited by: Sye on 2007-02-26 05:23 ]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Sye. The charging rate is ok with the headlights off (my model has the headlight switch on the right handlebar). With No 1 fuse out and lights working as per factory - no problem. Insert No 1 fuse ( both headlights working) and charging rate drops to approx 12.6 at 4000rpm or so. Thanks for reply

·
Registered
530 Posts
Two things: you are citing a voltage not a charging rate and you don't say where you are measuring it. Does your Tiger start OK? If so, you're done. Go riding. The Tiger has a cheap charging system since the '01 model. Previous models had a proper automotive alternator with a regulator that actually adjusted the current through the field winding. Now we have the cheapest possible design better suited to a lawn mower. Almost Lucas-like but more reliable. Zener diodes and heat sinks. The voltage you measure will vary depending on where you measure it and other iffy things like, how clean the ground terminal for the regulator is. It's all E=IR, you know?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts