Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 53 plate tiger with spoke wheels. My brother has a Yammy XT660 and has just fitted a mod to his front forks. Basically its a alu. spacer that compresses the springs to stop front end dive.

What a great idea me thinks.. Has anybody out there in RAT.NET land done anything like this to a tiger????

his are just smaller than the dia. of the tube and about 25mm thick. It has improved his front end dramatically. Other than that where can i get a set of progressive forks????

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sounds like your brother installed a longer spring spacer tuber. This has the same effect as increasing the preload. You're not really stiffening the forks by doing this, only raising the ride height. If you want it a little stiffer to reduce the dive you can try raising the oil level a little. Progressive springs are normally used to give a plush ride and still keep the forks from bottoming out. If you want to increase the stiffness to keep the forks from diving you'd want a stiffer straight rate spring.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stiffer rate spring rate??? forgive my stupididity... this is my first bike and i dont really know too much.. one assumes this relates to teh stiffness of teh spring installed. I thought a progressive spring woudl do this, but by the sounds of what you saying it woudl not???

·
Registered
449 Posts
A progressively wound spring has a stiffness that increasees with the amount of deflection. Some people like them. I don't think they'll help with reducing the forks dive.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
As littlefield says. Try raising the oil level or to put it a different way, reduce the air gap in the top of the fork legs.
The oil is measured by having the legs out of the bike and the spring removed and the leg fully compressed. Then measure from the top of the leg to the oil. Try making it 100mm. Also, try using thicker oil. The standard is 10W. Try some 15W.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks black - will try this. i am going to put her in teh workshop next week and have the new tyres fitted.. shes due a fork service so i will do this at the same time and try teh thicker oil and reduce the air gap. will keep you posted

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Sounds daft but don't ride the bike round the block and come to a conclusion,mine with Ohlins springs and 15wt even two with a pile of kit can feel stiff when cold,and hour down the road totally different.

Having recently bought an XT660X,i also saw the spacer thing,it's a crude way of doing things,which is soon going to have the springs and oil with their nickers in a twist!!.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts