Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

first time posting in the Tiger forum. I am a Speed Triple owner but have had a recent change in riding style, mainly due to the fact that about 2 weeks ago went on a group ride out, 5 in total, all sports bike except mine, being a super naked. 200 mile round trip to Elan Valley, Wales and back. I dont remember much of it because we ended up riding very very fast just to keep up with one and another and so much time was spent concentrating on riding, I missed most of the amazing scenery.

Needless to say it was a very tiring ride!

What brings me here then? Well being a massive fan of the triple engine I tried two offerings from Triumph...the Explorer and the 800xc.

Both brilliant bikes for their roles, in my opinion.

I do still want to try the BMW 1200 GS still though...boring? but I have my curiosities about that machine.

I have made a couple of videos for both bikes that I have ridden so just wanted to share my opinions with you guys.

I found the 800 motor really smooth and meaty at mid-range where the bike will spend most of its time I guess and very comfy for long distance. Excellent presence.

The Explorer was mahoosive bike with lots and lots of presence. Super comfy and power in abundance.

Handling on both bikes was excellent, then again I am no MotoGP rider!

Getting the 800 priced up tomorrow with fog lights, heated grips, hand guards, engine guards and arrow end can (sounds so nice) against my 2011 Speedy. So waiting for a call from the dealer.

Anyway enough ramblings from me. Here are the vids:

Explorer review:

Ride:

800xc review:

short ride around:

Feedback more than welcome and what to look out for etc would be greatly appreciated. I am finding it hard to find threads that relate to common problem on the 800 xc. :D

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I can certainly understand the desire (or is it a need?) to get a bike to match a riding 'style', and as an owner of both a Tiger (a '98 'Steamer') and a Speedie ('03 955i) I get the desireability of both bikes. I bought my Tiger to replace a Triumph Scrambler, finding the Scram to be 'not enough' for lengthy trips. Then I sold a VFR after putting 2000 miles on the Tiger and realizing the VFR just wasn't going to get much seat time - but I still wanted a more sporty bike than the Tiger, so I found the Speedie. I'm set.

Actually, for really long trips I also have a '97 Trophy 3. :)

Buy the one that rings your bell. They're both good bikes.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Totally off topic but listening to the 800 on that gravel road section (nice video BTW) it sounded as though it was surging terribly in the 3,000 rpm range - or is this an artefact of the video?

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
I do still want to try the BMW 1200 GS still though...boring? but I have my curiosities about that machine.
I spent some time a couple weeks ago with a couple from the UK, who had rented a BMW 1200 GS for touring Colorado. The feedback I got from them on the bike, was that it was a very capable and comfortable bike, but ultimately a little boring. Apparently it lacks the spiritedness and character of the Triumph, but all in all a very capable bike.

- Sean

·
Registered
205 Posts
If a bike is boring you're riding it wrong ... :D

My R1200GS was about as boring as my Tiger 800 - not at all. It was a very, very capable bike. Quite a bit higher build quality than the 800, for me more comfortable out of the box. The engine is quirky but also very capable and reliable.

It works for some, and it doesn't for others. I would get another one without a moment hesitation. But there are just so many other bikes to try ...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no surge on the gravel, just too much throttle. The bike didn't feel like a slouch at all and very capable.

Yet to try the R1200GS and make my mind up on what to do as winters approaching fast!

I could just keep the Speedy and trick it out to be cold and distance friendly - slap on a couple of auxiliary lights on the frame, heated grips and hand guards and bar risers..... Not much worried about the wind protection. :eek:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, I have Tiger fever as well. I'm thinking about the roadie so I can do local dirt roads I don't want to ride with my Futura...something lighter and smaller but also good on pavement. Now I just have to find one!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts