Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased one of the 50th Anniversary bikes. Very nice. I am considering purchasing one of the grey/black '09? Tigers. I would like to ride this around the U.S.
I am curious about how dependable these bikes are since there are not many triumph dealers coast-to-coast.
I would appreciate any comments you would make regarding this issue.
Thanks!
Mr. Pete--->

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Buy one, run it in, and ride round the US. That's what the Tiger's for :D

I've not done a big trip on this Trumpy yet, but have done 80,000km on 3 of the 1050 motors in the last 3 years and all have been fine. They are quite capable of going almost anywhere. If my old Speed Triple could do this, I think the Tiger will be even better ;)

Russ

·
Registered
149 Posts
nothing's perfect - I've seen high-dollar bikes quit on a Sunday ride. But 50,000 miles on Sprint ST's and 20,000 miles on an '06 Tiger, I've never been stuck out on the road or unable to ride in for service. A couple of shakedown runs, plan some stops where the service intervals fall, and hit the road.

papydawg

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Hi Russ,

My experience with the four modern age Tiger's I've owned is 100% reliability. Without question they have never failed to start, never broken down, etc.

As usual, there will be good and bad experiences for everyone, but if I were you - Go for it :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Since Oct.06 Ive put 47,829 miles on my Tiger. No major problems and it continues to be very trust worthy ride.:D

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
In my four or so years on two 955i Triumphs, a Speed triple and a Tiger, I've notched up about 120,000 km. Never once have they given me grief of any sort.

Although, you perhaps should go to a BMW or Yamaha forum and ask them there how they like Triumphs, you may get a different story, we're a bit biased here. :D

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
After owning a BMW GS for 4 years and now having the 955i Tiger, i for one would not go back to owning a BMW. I always seamed to be ordering bits and arranging work times so i could fit them. So far the tiger has proved reliable and as comfy as the gs for long rides.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Only had my tiger 6-7 weeks but prior to this spent 3 years all weather riding on a bmw 650gs and pretty much was always riding round one problem or another so dont believe the hype about reliability.

So far the tigers been good but looks like I will really need to stay on top of the winter cleaning, ACF50, washed after every ride in the salt and sometimes it still looks like someones threw talc over the engine:D

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
So far the tigers been good but looks like I will really need to stay on top of the winter cleaning, ACF50, washed after every ride in the salt and sometimes it still looks like someones threw talc over the engine:D
have you tryed this stuff..........

http://www.scottoiler.com/pc/Lubes,_Cleaners_;am;amp;_Protectors/FS_365_Protector_Spray_1_Litre_-|-_5_Litre_Refill_(UK_MAINLAND_CARRIAGE_FREE_OFFER).html

wish i`d known about it years ago, you can spray it over everything apart from the brake parts !!

KK

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
53000 miles of pure dependability on my Tigger. And, I'm confident that it'll give another 50K which is more than can be said for my previous bike....a BMW which I was always having to nurse home with something having gone wrong or broken whilst away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts