Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi folks..first day here n i'm already gonna start winding things up..lol..
one of you sez taking the blanking plug off the right side will increase power while t'other sez the bike won't run..
i ask because the previous numpty..sorry..owner has cut the air box so there's a 4" gap between the main box and the sections with the tubes..
Mines a carb model 1996 900 tiger..
Is your vacuum prob something to do with the usa emition system..mines a uk bike..
i'm trying to rejoin them with alli and gaffertape but it's turning into a bit of a chore..
your thoughts/comments would appreiated
Hi daz 900, My name is Charlie. Both of your statements are correct. When you remove the righthand blanking plug the bike won,t run because you have upset the vacuum. To solve this problem I removed both the secondary airboxs and adapted a K&N pod filter to both sides. the bike will still not run yet becuase the vacuum is still not right . Now you take the bike to a bike tuner and have the carbs rejetted . Once you have done this you will have more power and you won,t have to change the main filter forever. If you need more info later i will send you some pic,s if you want.
Cheers, Charlie.

·
Registered
5 Posts
cheers charlie..
i'll continue trying to make joiners for the airbox then..at this time i'm not in search of more power,just want to hear her run..i purchased her in pieces as the previous owner tried swapping the carbs for speed triple ones,but had got confused so then forgot about her for the next 6 yrs..
i've refitted the original carbs and took off the alarm (came with no keyfobs) and am nearly at the point of firing her up..can't wait for that moment :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
As far as I know, removing the blanking cap so both snorkels are open will increase top end power a little bit, but you'll lose a lot of your low-end grunt. My bike did not have issues running with both caps removed.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Any luck with the bike daz900? My bikes been running nice since I swapped carbs(2nd hand set bought on ebay) I changed pilots to 42.5 and refitted Tiger mains105. Using snorkels off my Daytona..no blanking cap. Also K&N fitted. Bike starts and runs nice with that set up.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts