Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if the airbox supply pipes have a cap? Recent purchase bike has ONE fitted??

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Deano - this is a Steamer thread.

I think what he's referring to are the 'snorkles'. There's one coming out of each side of the airbox, one has a cap on it, the other is open (to take in air). Both my '97 Trophy 3 and my '98 Tiger are like that. I assume the 'higher performance' models may have both of them open.

:cool:

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
FoothillRyder, I am sure you are correct. The 1050 Tiger also has the one snorkel blocked off. Opening it up does make for better breathing and a reasonable increase in power. I have read on the 'other' Tiger forum site of a number doing this mod on their Steamers.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Yes,carb Tiger 1996. Couldnt figure out why one is blanked out. Been having a problem with a slight hesitation on low throttle,tried all elecronic parts off my Daytona. Taken carbs off (expert at it now) cleaned,ckecked float heights,re set pilot screws,set butterflies,checked choke plungers are returning etc . Its better,but still there. Bought a set carbs off ebay,will try those. What mpg you guys getting? Mine about 38?? Not as good as Daytona.. 45-63!

·
Registered
104 Posts
One snorkle should be capped.

With the carbs, its usually the pilot circuit that causes problems, they need a thorough cleaning out.

Even leaving the bike stood for a couple of weeks clogs the pilot circuits up for some unknown reason.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Last tank on my '98 Steamer was 42mpg, mostly highway miles. More typical is 38-40.

As far clogging the pilot jets after two weeks of sitting - I can only see this happening if you're using cheap gas. Get a bottle of Chevron Techron, and if you know your bike is going to sit for a while just add a few ounces to the tank and run it long enough to 'refresh' the fuel in the carbs.

FWIW, I never used anything but Chevron fuel in my Trophy 3 (900), and that bike could sit months with no running issues. There really is a reason to spend the extra $$$ on high-grade fuel. Shell has a similar additive in their fuels. And stay away from 'gasahol' (fuels with ethanol added) if possible.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
38-40 seems the norm then.This bike has a K&N fitted. Bike starts and pulls really well,but tempted to go back to stock ?? Anyone had experience with these filters? Also, Ive noticed this engine is mechanically noisier than the Daytona on idle..kind of slapping/knocking noise,but clears when revs increase. I know these engines are noisy,but should I be concerned? Is there something I could check/look for? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
You'll get opinions both ways on the K&N question. From my experience, a K&N offers better air flow with no downside. Some will tell you that is wrong, that more flow must equal less 'protection'; but that's nonsense. K&N offers a guarantee to cover that, something about 1,000,000 miles with no mechanical failures due to the intrusion of dirt or other particles that the air filter should stop.

But... (there's always one of these) getting more air into the engine for a given amount of vacuum does mean that you'll need to provide more fuel to retain the same mixture. It also means that properly jetted you'll get a small boost in power. Add a more free-flowing exhaust and it could be as much as 10%.

As far as the mechanical noise, is the Daytona the same vintage? I have two 'T3' 900 Triples, and the both have a fair amount of mechanical noise at idle. My '03 955i Speed Triple is quieter. In '02 Triumph switched from sand castings for the 'engine block' to pressure castings. Perhaps this had something to do with it; but I'm not sure of that. I know it made the engine ~15lb lighter, so maybe there's less metal to 'resonate' at low revs.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Daytona is 1995 Super3. I will eventually fit std filter,but bike starts and pulls well,so leave alone maybe?? Disappointed with mpg tho. Recently aquired a set of carbs,they look new? but looks like butterfly flaps have stuck to body,and some arse has tried to release them with a screwdriver? bent 2 of them:mad:. Tried a few parts shops..no luck. Try Triumph next,or repair?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Threepot,

My 93 seamer did have the the righthand airtube blocked off
i do all my riding on dirt roads so was able to look down the air tubes to see the dirt in the air cleaner. surprisingly the lefthand side was dirty (working) and the right hand side was clean (not working)
Have a close look at the airbox and you will see that the left and right side are separate
Toget the righthand side working you need to remove the cap from the airtube
Do that and the bike won,t run becuase you will not have enough vacuum
solution: adapt K&N pod filters on both sides and re jet the carbs
by a guy with a dyno, run dpr7ea plugs, use a fuel conditioner and have many happy k,s and never change your airbox again

Cheers, charliegreyball.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Can't believe you guys are getting 38-40 mpg. I'm getting 56-58mpg on a 100 mile daily commute (50 mile each way). I'm running at 80 - 85 mph on motorway for about 38 miles, then cutting through the London traffic mainly using the torque of the engine. Fill up every 2 days at 200 miles and it usually takes about 16 litres or 3.5 gallons. the only mod is a K&N air filter and a good carb clean/balance.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Impressive mpg figures frosties, my super3 is much better than the tiger! Have had over 60 touring!

·
Registered
7 Posts
When my 96 Tiger was running (unlike at the moment), which is totally standard, I use to get anywhere between 53-60MPG, admittedly I'm no speed junky, and this was just cruising on A and B roads.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Perhaps this is imperial gallons vs. U.S. gallons? I've seen 54 miles per imperial gallon on my '98 Tiger, and close to 60 on my '97 Trophy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
US gallons have 3.75 litres to the gallon whereas ours (Imperial) have 4.54 litres, I now get 1 litres per 10 miles that's 45 mpg UK, 37.5 mpg US.

I recently removed a dynojet kit, replaced the very worn emulsion tubes, re-capped the RH airbox and returned the jetting to standard (40 pilot, 105 main). I kept the K&N filter after cleaning and re-oiling.

And yes, the right hand airbox did have a cap as standard on the 900 carb model Tigers.

If you're getting rid of your cap let me know as I'll buy it of you - mine is capped with gaffer tape.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't forget that here in the UK we have ethanol in petrol...no choice here :mad:
I've had to line the steel tanks on my old bikes, and use additives to stop the fuel rotting the carbs internally whenever the bikes are left for more than a week! My mate is a bike mechanic and says this ethanol in fuel is wrecking bike carbs, mainly pilot jets wearing out/dissolving and rust in steel tanks.
Next we will be getting fuel with even more ethanol added, its going to ruin old classic motors!
I use POR 15 range of tank sealers, their motorbike kit costs about £40 and is a pain in the rear to do :mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi folks..first day here n i'm already gonna start winding things up..lol..
one of you sez taking the blanking plug off the right side will increase power while t'other sez the bike won't run..
i ask because the previous numpty..sorry..owner has cut the air box so there's a 4" gap between the main box and the sections with the tubes..
Mines a carb model 1996 900 tiger..
Is your vacuum prob something to do with the usa emition system..mines a uk bike..
i'm trying to rejoin them with alli and gaffertape but it's turning into a bit of a chore..
your thoughts/comments would appreiated

1 - 20 of 24 Posts