Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
just reviving an 03 tiger which had been parked up for 10 years.
it starts on the button fine and with slow throttle roll on will rev through to redline ok. Alternately a fast throttle roll on it hesitates and stalls.
While under load it seems start gagging at around 3500 rpm and irrespective of slow or fast throttle roll on wont get over that engine speed in any gear. The CEL has kicked on now, It has a fresh fuel pump and filter .
I’ve not examined the vacuum hoses closely , i’ll start there, would there be reason to suspect the injectors ?
thoughts, direction and shared experience could be useful.
thanks
Marc

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the airbox was was dirty, but i think we've all seen worst, it got a thorough degrease and new filter, plugs are new fresh tested. I went ahead and cleaned the injectors, pulled off the throttle body and cleaned that out , it was grimey but not terrible, cleaning it didnt hurt anyway. waiting on a new throttle body gasket and injector orings now .it's got a new reg, upgraded the wire sizes off the new battery, I havent found what I would consider to be a 'smoking gun' yet - will reassemble when BikeBandit sorts it's delivery delay and run TUNEECU on it again - see where I get to then and post
thanks for the comments !
marc

·
Super Moderator
22,064 Posts
I went ahead and cleaned the injectors ... cleaning it didnt hurt anyway. waiting on a new throttle body gasket and injector orings
Honestly, for injector cleaning, it's best to have them done professionally

While you're waiting for those parts, go ahead & install the injectors in the fuel rail, (without installing in the TB's) and connect the electrical connectors; hook up rail to the tank and crank it over and watch them spray - look for consistent strong even spray on all three. You can even open the throttle and see the increase in flow (the pulse will be longer although rate of flow will be the same)

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
problem solved ;
the issue was an injector - it was obvious when thy were hooked up and you could see the spray on them - one wasnt. sent them out for cleaning at a local injector shop who were also able to provide the orings for them - it too just about forever for parts to arrive but patience paid off and it's now a runner ! - just in time for winter.
thanks for the comments and guidance.
marc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts