Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
having ongoing frustrating running problrms with my 2003 tiger described in my 2 other posts for anyone interested.
im thinking its something to do with the engine management system.
maybe faulty TPS, IACV stepper, crank sensor, ECU or something.
wanted to pick some brains on the readouts from Tune ECU to see if they look normal.
IACV stepper value is all over the place (-2 to 17) but i think this is due to it trying to 'compensate' for the poor running due to something else at fault.
TPS is 0.61v closed throttle and 4.5 (ish) on full throttle.
on the Dial TPS % shows as 0 closed and 75 open throttle.
in the TPS box next to the voltage readout is another number that reads 0.2 after a reset but jumps to 2.1 after the engine is started- can anybody tell me what this no. is?
BTDC is set at -30 and doesnt seem to advance as the throttle position is changed or the revs increase- should it change?
another very odd thing i've noticed is that the idle after a throttle blip is about 500rpm higher when in gear+clutch in than in neutral- ive tested again and again and its consistent- could the neutral indicator have and effect somehow on the engine managment system?
i am hoping for some helpful advice as so far after changing the fuel filter, fuel couplers, air filter, plugs, IACV hoses, fuel, cleaning throttle bodies and IACV, and lots of cleaning of connectors and tinkering i am still having horrible high eratic and hanging idle and major popping and spluttering and missing and stalling isses.
gauges are in the post to sych the throttle bodies but im pretty sure there is something else going on.
any ideas, thoughs, advice much appreciated.
thanks,
Mat

Registered
hi all,
having ongoing frustrating running problrms with my 2003 tiger described in my 2 other posts for anyone interested.
im thinking its something to do with the engine management system.
maybe faulty TPS, IACV stepper, crank sensor, ECU or something.
wanted to pick some brains on the readouts from Tune ECU to see if they look normal.
IACV stepper value is all over the place (-2 to 17) but i think this is due to it trying to 'compensate' for the poor running due to something else at fault.
TPS is 0.61v closed throttle and 4.5 (ish) on full throttle.
on the Dial TPS % shows as 0 closed and 75 open throttle.
in the TPS box next to the voltage readout is another number that reads 0.2 after a reset but jumps to 2.1 after the engine is started- can anybody tell me what this no. is?
BTDC is set at -30 and doesnt seem to advance as the throttle position is changed or the revs increase- should it change?
another very odd thing i've noticed is that the idle after a throttle blip is about 500rpm higher when in gear+clutch in than in neutral- ive tested again and again and its consistent- could the neutral indicator have and effect somehow on the engine managment system?
i am hoping for some helpful advice as so far after changing the fuel filter, fuel couplers, air filter, plugs, IACV hoses, fuel, cleaning throttle bodies and IACV, and lots of cleaning of connectors and tinkering i am still having horrible high eratic and hanging idle and major popping and spluttering and missing and stalling isses.
gauges are in the post to sych the throttle bodies but im pretty sure there is something else going on.
any ideas, thoughs, advice much appreciated.
thanks,
Mat
Rattymatty,
Have you had any joy with your bike yet?

I ask as im having some fun with my 03 thats running rich and has a high idle, apart from that its fine, but do you think i can find the reason is idling high, very frustrated at this point馃槵馃槵馃槵

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Rattymatty,
Have you had any joy with your bike yet?

I ask as im having some fun with my 03 thats running rich and has a high idle, apart from that its fine, but do you think i can find the reason is idling high, very frustrated at this point馃槵馃槵馃槵
Hi i did get mine sorted in the end after months of playing around. Cant say exactky what it was but it was related to the AICV for sure.
I uograded all the hoses to new silicone, checked all gasgets and seals on throtyle body and AICV, clean throttle body, synchronised throttle body, tweaked everything for days with tune ecu, cleaned all electrical connectors to ecu and alls sensors, did a lambda bypass, new air filter and exhaust and fuel map, cleaned out the fuel tank breathers, new fuel filter, and other bits and bobs, including testing the TPS, fuel pump, and other sensors..
I think the main improvement came from the syncronising of the throttle bodies, i could do nothing with tune ecu till that was done. There were likely multiple issues realky confusing things. It was a headache to tell yiu the truth!
Best of luck, you'll get there, with patience.
Once the fuel managment stuffs sorted (and some other pernickety electrical weak points) these really are fantastic machines..

Registered
Hi i did get mine sorted in the end after months of playing around. Cant say exactky what it was but it was related to the AICV for sure.
I uograded all the hoses to new silicone, checked all gasgets and seals on throtyle body and AICV, clean throttle body, synchronised throttle body, tweaked everything for days with tune ecu, cleaned all electrical connectors to ecu and alls sensors, did a lambda bypass, new air filter and exhaust and fuel map, cleaned out the fuel tank breathers, new fuel filter, and other bits and bobs, including testing the TPS, fuel pump, and other sensors..
I think the main improvement came from the syncronising of the throttle bodies, i could do nothing with tune ecu till that was done. There were likely multiple issues realky confusing things. It was a headache to tell yiu the truth!
Best of luck, you'll get there, with patience.
Once the fuel managment stuffs sorted (and some other pernickety electrical weak points) these really are fantastic machines..
I'm looking at the AICV to be the problem, I've had it apart, cleaned it, the bike runs great without the gasket that sits between it and the air box, i say great what i mean is a lower rpm, i,ve had all the injectors out, new throttle body gasket, throttle bodies synchronized, there's no air leaks anywhere, injector O rings next........

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I'm looking at the AICV to be the problem, I've had it apart, cleaned it, the bike runs great without the gasket that sits between it and the air box, i say great what i mean is a lower rpm, i,ve had all the injectors out, new throttle body gasket, throttle bodies synchronized, there's no air leaks anywhere, injector O rings next........
Have a look with tune ecu at the aicv settings and try tweaking, theres a guide on here somewhere. Try running without the aicv (block the intakes on the throttle bodies.
Yiu struggle to get it to tick over but if its the aicv at fault you should find it revs much cleaner without it with no hanging idle.
The aicv is a bugger when it plays up, also it coukd be any of the sensors ir the ecu or cables that control the aicv..

Super Moderator
I ask as im having some fun with my 03 thats running rich and has a high idle
How high is 'high'?

Air is what controls the engine speed
Bottom line is, if it is idling higher than the Look-up Table set-point then it is getting too much air
Possible avenues for air
1. The IACV itself (not to be picky guys - well I suppose I am having mentioned it I guess :D - it's Idle Air Control Valve - IACV)
2. The IACV connections (hoses etc)
3. Past the Throttles*
4. an External leak (gasket etc)**

* 3 This one is tricky - on this series of Throttle Bodies the throttles do NOT fully close - the air for idling comes partly past the slightly open throttle and the remainder from the IACV port (which is the fine trim to achieve the set-point engine speed)
In balancing, you are actually adjusting the degree of open on throttles 2 & 3 to match the opening on cylinder 1
1 is not supposed to be adjustable however the throttle tension or the stop can come into play here.

This process does not show up directly in balance procedure but on the monoblock Throttle Bodies, after balance is achieved you check the IACV Stepper position which should be in the 30-35 steps range when at correct idle control (you get that value via TuneECU)
If not in that range, with monoblock throttle bodies (which have adjustable bypass ports) you adjust all three screws to achieve that - different process required on the individual body assembly but the goal is the same, get the IACV to be operating in that same 'sweet spot'
Definitely check that you have some cable slack - you may need to physically adjust the stop in order to get the idle lower if you are confident they are all balanced with respect to each other.

**4 these throttle bodies are a pain to fit well - it is best to loosen up the linkages so each TB is individually free to find a planar mount - also consider better screws. Once confident they are equally well installed you can re-tighten the linkages.

the bike runs great without the gasket that sits between it and the air box, i say great what i mean is a lower rpm,
That one hard to compute - there should be no difference whether the airbox is completely removed or that IACV gasket there or not.
If the gasket makes a difference it suggests that it is pulling air from outside the box - which suggests that when sealed it is not getting sufficient air.
I'm sure you have checked/replaced the filter - have you actually inspected inside the airbox itself (particularly the forward section) to see if there is anything in there stifling air flow? Would not be first mouse nest found in there!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I always get things jumbled up!

Air Idle Control Valve
Idle Air Control Valve

Yep, that one doesn't wanna stick in my head.

IACV for sure

Keep us informed of your progress..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts