Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I changed the fork seals on my tiger a few months back and recently the left leg started leaking again.
I will give a gentle clean around the seal but was wondering if the bushings could be the culprit?
By the Haynes Manual it looks like you can only change the top Bush, if the bottom one is worn the whole fork tube needs replacing?
Anyway, my main query is do I need inner or outer bushes (guides and slides) I cannot see from the manual which the 2 parts are and where they fit in the fork.
Any enlightenment would be received gratefully.
Many thanks,
Mat

·
Registered
256 Posts
When I did some fork rebuilds on a tiger 885 and 955 I replaced all bushings and seals. I used "all balls". But as far as the leak, make sure you have no scratches on the tube. I also used dirt skins to help protect the forks as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply.
do you recall that the bottom bushing couldnt be changed and using inner and outer bushings to replace the top bush, so 2 bushes per fork?
im just a bit confused how it all goes together as the manual isnt that clear and i cant remember what the internals looked like from when i canged the seals a few months ago.
thanks again,
mat.

·
Registered
256 Posts
thanks for the reply.
do you recall that the bottom bushing couldnt be changed and using inner and outer bushings to replace the top bush, so 2 bushes per fork?
im just a bit confused how it all goes together as the manual isnt that clear and i cant remember what the internals looked like from when i canged the seals a few months ago.
thanks again,
mat.
Ya, I remember. Both bushings are replaceable, one bushing on the slider and one on the tube both help stabilize the fork. The slider you have to spread it and slip it off and the other slides over and presses into the tube, then the seal and then the c clip, then the dust seal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, I remember. Both bushings are replaceable, one bushing on the slider and one on the tube both help stabilize the fork. The slider you have to spread it and slip it off and the other slides over and presses into the tube, then the seal and then the c clip, then the dust seal.

Thanks for the info, very helpful.
I will clean around the seal tomorrow to check no dirts got lodged in there. The chrome is good so I'm hopeful it's repairable.
Thanks again,
Mat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts