Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking about a Tiger 900 in my future. I had a 2011 Tiger 800xc for 8 years and loved it.

On your next ride out, if you don’t mind, I’d be interested to know what rpm’s you’re riding at at these speeds: 65, 75, 85 mph - in 6th gear. Just flat, straight highway - here in California you sometimes have to slab for a while to get to the good stuff.

I saw in an ADV Pulse review that the higher gears are a little taller than the 800 (I think that’s what they said) so maybe on the highway you settle in at lower rpm’s than the 800? I’m curious what you find.

Any other comments/reviews at those speeds are appreciated too.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I took a Rally Pro for a test ride and while I didn’t record the tach at various speeds, I can say without a doubt it has plenty of power and torque at highway speeds. I spent 90 minutes on a combination of city streets, country roads, and highway. For reference my current ride is a Tiger 1050.

The 1050 may have a SLIGHT edge at speeds well above the legal limit (purely hypothetical of course), but not by much, whereas the 900’s torque and smooth throttle response blows the 1050 out of the water at low end and mid range.

I need to return and take a GT Pro out for a test ride before I make a decision. The smaller front wheel and automatic suspension of the GT Pro are attractive to me given the nearest thing I’ll ever do to “off road” are broken asphalt, gravel farm roads or a very infrequent dirt road.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
6th is taller. 1st and 2nd lower. My 800XCX was amazing. My 900 Rally Pro is better in every way. Not by much in some areas and by a huge amount in others. The engine is brilliant, the suspension superb. If I have one criticism it’s......no, I have none.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. How much taller is sixth? I believe you that there’s plenty of power. I just remember cruising on the highway for long rides on my 800xc wishing the engine was rumbling along at lower rpm’s (rather than 5500 at 75mph). Maybe it just plays with my psyche to be revving high for so long, I just want a little improvement (lower rpm’s at highway speed) not looking for Bonneville type ride with super-low rpm’s though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts