Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of buying a new (or used) motorcycle and I have my eye on the Triumph Tiger model. I've never owned an Adventure bike, but I can only have one bike and from my research I've come to the conclusion that these are the best all-around bikes if you can only have one.

To give some background, I've owned sports, cafe, and naked bikes as a bit of history. I'm a huge Triump fan boy and I'm 6'3" in height to give some perspective. My plan is to mainly use it for on-road and ride in the mountains of Tennessee and Georgia once a year or so. I'll probably just ride the bike on leisurely days when traffic is low in my area.

I've run across a new 2020 900 Rally Pro (I like the rally pro vs gt pro because of the color scheme and spoked wheels), but the bike is a demo with 1,300 miles on it. The dealership said they had them left over from when Triumph was promoting the bike a few months ago and the rides were monitored and at slower speeds. I can probably get the bike for $16k even OTD in us dollars, but I leary of buying what I consider a "used" bike even though it's had its first service and comes with a warranty like new.

So I need to decide on which bike to buy and could use some advice. I've also looked at it new and also older Tiger models as well as the 1200. I can get a 2019 Tiger 800 XCX for $14,800 OTD or a 1200 for a bit more. I also looked at older models (2013 - 2015) range to avoid payments, but I hate buying used and I don't want to get a lemon from someone I don't trust.

Anyways, please let me know what you think and thanks ahead of time!

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of buying a new (or used) motorcycle and I have my eye on the Triumph Tiger model. I've never owned an Adventure bike, but I can only have one bike and from my research I've come to the conclusion that these are the best all-around bikes if you can only have one.

To give some background, I've owned sports, cafe, and naked bikes as a bit of history. I'm a huge Triump fan boy and I'm 6'3" in height to give some perspective. My plan is to mainly use it for on-road and ride in the mountains of Tennessee and Georgia once a year or so. I'll probably just ride the bike on leisurely days when traffic is low in my area.

I've run across a new 2020 900 Rally Pro (I like the rally pro vs gt pro because of the color scheme and spoked wheels), but the bike is a demo with 1,300 miles on it. The dealership said they had them left over from when Triumph was promoting the bike a few months ago and the rides were monitored and at slower speeds. I can probably get the bike for $16k even OTD in us dollars, but I leary of buying what I consider a "used" bike even though it's had its first service and comes with a warranty like new.

So I need to decide on which bike to buy and could use some advice. I've also looked at it new and also older Tiger models as well as the 1200. I can get a 2019 Tiger 800 XCX for $14,800 OTD or a 1200 for a bit more. I also looked at older models (2013 - 2015) range to avoid payments, but I hate buying used and I don't want to get a lemon from someone I don't trust.

Anyways, please let me know what you think and thanks ahead of time!
You should decide how much power you want and whether you want a dirt bike or a road bike.

·
Super Moderator
2,893 Posts
If the Rally Pro has never been down in those 1300 miles then I'd say it's perfectly fine. Even if it was revved higher than the break in recommends it'll still be fine. It'll make a fine road bike although I think the GT Pro would better suit your needs. The 1200 is a good bike also but throws a lot of heat and I've heard horror stories of the electronic suspension.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the Rally Pro has never been down in those 1300 miles then I'd say it's perfectly fine. Even if it was revved higher than the break in recommends it'll still be fine. It'll make a fine road bike although I think the GT Pro would better suit your needs. The 1200 is a good bike also but throws a lot of heat and I've heard horror stories of the electronic suspension.
Thanks for the feedback! The GT Pro is red... what do you think about the red color? So you think it’s better to get a 2020 demo vs the new 2019 800 xcx?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've owned a 2019 XCA. I didn't listen to anything about "break in" for the first 1000 miles or whatever it was. Maybe went soft for 100 miles to get things seated. Excellent bike. That WP suspension was tops and very well sorted for my weight, 150 wet, and very aggressive riding. Was keeping up to sport bikes in the hills and passing after 300 miles due to zero-fatigue :)

I've heard the horror stories of the 2020s already and was actually going to go to the Street Scrambler or the Scrambler 1200 XE. Rode both, and they are so much more fun than the Tiger, but not as good at long distance touring. You'll feel it at 500 miles. You can go forever on the Tiger. It almost bored me to death it was so good. The Scramblers and anything Bonnie based was so fun and engaging!

I sold my Tiger because I only used it for "epics". I stopped doing errands with it, due to it's sheer size and would hit traffic occasionally during sport touring. It could really beat you up when you still have another 400 miles to cover in a day.

I'd get whichever you can get cheaper. I'm with @GearHd6. Those electronics make me squeamish if you were to do actual "adventuring". I'd pass on the new stuff and go with the tested stuff personally. Unless you have more appetite for risk than I do :)

My off road bikes are KTM 300 XC and DR650. I have a Triumph Speed Twin that I traded my XCA for. Truthfully, that Scrambler 1200 XE was amazing; but it wouldn't beat my DR so I knew I had to have that wonderful Bonneville 1200 engine.

Good luck and let us know what you get!

-Avi

·
Super Moderator
2,893 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! The GT Pro is red... what do you think about the red color? So you think it’s better to get a 2020 demo vs the new 2019 800 xcx?
I will agree with your earlier post, I think the color scheme on the Rally is nicer than the GT. But, I am a fan of the red, I just wish there wasn't so much of it. I think the 2020 is a better bike and I'd personally take it over the 2019. I know there's connectivity bugs in the new bikes right now but they'll get worked out soon enough. If I had my choice, I'd take a 0 mile 2020 over the demo but if you've got no choice and the dealer makes a good deal then I think I'd do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've owned a 2019 XCA. I didn't listen to anything about "break in" for the first 1000 miles or whatever it was. Maybe went soft for 100 miles to get things seated. Excellent bike. That WP suspension was tops and very well sorted for my weight, 150 wet, and very aggressive riding. Was keeping up to sport bikes in the hills and passing after 300 miles due to zero-fatigue :)

I've heard the horror stories of the 2020s already and was actually going to go to the Street Scrambler or the Scrambler 1200 XE. Rode both, and they are so much more fun than the Tiger, but not as good at long distance touring. You'll feel it at 500 miles. You can go forever on the Tiger. It almost bored me to death it was so good. The Scramblers and anything Bonnie based was so fun and engaging!

I sold my Tiger because I only used it for "epics". I stopped doing errands with it, due to it's sheer size and would hit traffic occasionally during sport touring. It could really beat you up when you still have another 400 miles to cover in a day.

I'd get whichever you can get cheaper. I'm with @GearHd6. Those electronics make me squeamish if you were to do actual "adventuring". I'd pass on the new stuff and go with the tested stuff personally. Unless you have more appetite for risk than I do :)

My off road bikes are KTM 300 XC and DR650. I have a Triumph Speed Twin that I traded my XCA for. Truthfully, that Scrambler 1200 XE was amazing; but it wouldn't beat my DR so I knew I had to have that wonderful Bonneville 1200 engine.

Good luck and let us know what you get!

-Avi
Good to know. I can get the 2019 for around $1,200 cheaper and it's brand new. Just not sure what to get. I'd love to buy something a few years older that's been well maintained, but haven't found anything over the past few months that I like. I think I'll head on over to the dealership today and take a look at a few. Decisions, decisions!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ride them both! Hit some stuff and you'll have it sorted out in no time. Don't let fear keep you from a bike that's good enough - no matter what bike you have, you'll get bored eventually. Might as well pay for less if you can. More money to make it yours and farkle. But if the new bike is truly much slimmer at the tank and that gets you hooked up, don't sweat it. They're both insane bikes and very capable.

I had no qualms with the XCX. I rode the XCA right to the edge of the tire against the sport riders, and still did 80 mph on dirt and the bike was phenomenal. My friend had an XCX that not too far behind me either, he was new to adventure/touring coming off a Ducati 848.

Now you got me catchin' feels on my XCA :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Decided to get the 2019 Tiger XCX in khaki green! Love it so far! Do you know if the luggage is worth it and how much they run? Also any accessories or tips to note for those that have the bike?

I was a little hesitant on the XCX because I’ll be riding on road but the salesperson said you won’t feel the difference. Hope I didn’t make a mistake?

98B62A4E-B9CD-4DBA-B359-5BD0CF92BCE9.jpeg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Decided to get the 2019 Tiger XCX in khaki green! Love it so far! Do you know if the luggage is worth it and how much they run? Also any accessories or tips to note for those that have the bike?

I was a little hesitant on the XCX because I’ll be riding on road but the salesperson said you won’t feel the difference. Hope I didn’t make a mistake?

View attachment 729072
View attachment 729073
Nice looking bike , wouldn’t worry about road riding on the XCX a lot of the magazine / YouTube reviews are done by hardcore riders that do push to extremes. I’m happy on the windy small roads bobbing along between 50-70 mph that I can actually enjoy the scenery.
I accept I’ll never get to the bikes limit , but I’m still here in one piece after 38years riding

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
How do you like it so far? What a great machine! And the XCX has no problem off road. It will happily do 70mph on fire track if you're gentle, even on those stock tires.

The XCX/XCA (WP babes!) are excellent on-road. I would get some aux lights. This bike has got prowess on backroads in the night, and can easily allow you to push past what the stock lights offer. Also, great for deer :) My most fond memories on that bike were touring at night, with immense light output and never missing a beat for any animals, or road conditions.

Other than that, I obviously got a RAM mount for my phone. I also did risers (ROX Pivot) to get the bar back a little bit as I hated leaning forward even a tad on that bike. It has plenty of weight over the front end already.

Side note: The Arrow exhaust ruins the bike IMHO. The drone is intolerable on the slab.

Enjoy! And post a review :)

-Avi

1 - 12 of 12 Posts