Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am fortunate to now own the new 2020 Tiger 900 Rally Pro! Very excited about it, really ready to put it to the test. I still have my 2018 Tiger 800 XCA as well, until I get the 12K service done and it sold. But in the meantime, I would love to help anyone that has specific questions between the two. I will keep a running list here, but feel free to ask what you want. I will bust out the caliper too in some spots. Answers to come in time :)

Current Questions
  • Are the wheels interchangeable between the two? Looking to get tubeless on my 800.
    • The front cannot, the hub and brake discs are too wide (10MM wider than the '18). The hub packing is also a different size, but could possibly be packed with the '18 components as the inner diameter of the hub is the same. I've got photos and caliper readings if desired.
    • Rear: TBD
  • Is the sump / skid plate the same?
    • Not at all, the sump is thinner and longer. The bash plate was fully redesigned (I DO NOT like it) and mounts on the side of the sump rather than directly at the bottom for all connections.
  • Clearance from ground to skid plate?
  • Are the seat pans the same? (IE could you swap seats between them)
    • Nope, they redesigned both seats. Most notable is that the front of the seat connects directly onto the gas tank. The redesign does allow for a thin and secure connection it seems.
  • I am curious as to the number of teeth on the front and rear sprockets.
    • Front 16T; Rear 50T
  • Quick shift limitations?
    • Quick shift does not work in some off-road mode, very low RPM's, or without throttle (still testing this).
  • What aftermarket components are cross compatible?
    • Doubletake mirror (Same threading)
    • 2018 Tiger Barkbusters (The fit isn't 100% perfect, but will certainly do it)
  • Whats the RPM at 70mph in 6th?
    • 4440 RPM
  • Can you swap the forks?
    • No*. 900 forks are thinner and longer, with the neck being a bit longer too. Inner fork tube is 45mm (800 is 43mm) and outter tube is 53mm (800 is 55mm).
    • *it could be possible, if you also brought over the triple tree and used the 800's stem. Unsure of inner neck diameter of the 900 at this time.

·
Super Moderator
2,813 Posts
Nice bike. Love my current 15 too much to make a change right now.

I've got one question, maybe you can take a visual. I have the Pitbull Trailer Restraint system for my Tiger. Does the rear axle hole, nut and length look roughly the same? I suppose Pitbull will offer new pins at some point.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice bike. Love my current 15 too much to make a change right now.

I've got one question, maybe you can take a visual. I have the Pitbull Trailer Restraint system for my Tiger. Does the rear axle hole, nut and length look roughly the same? I suppose Pitbull will offer new pins at some point.
Yeah the rear axle looks practically identical. Front is a bit small from first view, not sure. But I plan to, soon, pull the tires off the 18 and 20 to compare. I'll get you specs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am fortunate to now own the new 2020 Tiger 900 Rally Pro! Very excited about it, really ready to put it to the test. I still have my 2018 Tiger 800 XCA as well, until I get the 12K service done and it sold. But in the meantime, I would love to help anyone that has specific questions between the two. I will keep a running list here, but feel free to ask what you want. I will bust out the caliper too in some spots. Answers to come in time :)

Current Questions
  • Are the wheels interchangeable between the two? Looking to get tubeless on my 800.
    • The front cannot, the hub and brake discs are too wide (10MM wider than the '18). The hub packing is also a different size, but could possibly be packed with the '18 components as the inner diameter of the hub is the same. I've got photos and caliper readings if desired.
    • Not at all, the sump is thinner and longer. The bash plate was fully redesigned (I DO NOT like it) and mounts on the side of the sump rather than directly at the bottom for all connections.
    • Nope, they redesigned both seats. Most notable is that the front of the seat connects directly onto the gas tank. The redesign does allow for a thin and secure connection it seems.
    • Front 16T; Rear 50T
    • Quick shift does not work in some off-road mode, very low RPM's, or without throttle (still testing this).
    • 4440 RPM
    • No*. 900 forks are thinner and longer, with the neck being a bit longer too. Inner fork tube is 45mm (800 is 43mm) and outter tube is 53mm (800 is 55mm).
    • *it could be possible, if you also brought over the triple tree and used the 800's stem. Unsure of inner neck diameter of the 900 at this time.
View attachment 720590

Really appreciate the info!
All the reviews talk about the vibrations at higher revs - how was it for you at 70 mph at 4440 RPM's? At higher revs?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really appreciate the info!
All the reviews talk about the vibrations at higher revs - how was it for you at 70 mph at 4440 RPM's? At higher revs?
Thanks!
I don't really notice any handlebar or general vibration in the feet, but I certainly can feel the engine. That might be what they are talking about. The new firing order can be felt much more through the seat vs that of the 800. In a controlled condition, I put the bike to 116 and did not feel anything other than the engine and a smile. (All stock, smooth tires)

I'll keep a stronger awareness of this on my next ride and let you know, though it'll have knobbies on it likely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't really notice any handlebar or general vibration in the feet, but I certainly can feel the engine. That might be what they are talking about. The new firing order can be felt much more through the seat vs that of the 800. In a controlled condition, I put the bike to 116 and did not feel anything other than the engine and a smile. (All stock, smooth tires)

I'll keep a stronger awareness of this on my next ride and let you know, though it'll have knobbies on it likely.

"Controlled" ;)
Thanks!!
Hawke

·
Registered
1 Posts

Current Questions
    • Front 16T; Rear 50T
    • 4440 RPM
View attachment 720590
Great summary Wortik of an excellent bike and If I may add my view as well and happy to also answer any Q's.

So I've also just taken delivery of my 900 Rally Pro on the 11.3.20. Loving it so far, have clocked up 1850km and had the first service done. Although with all the Coronavirus I'll be looking at it and not riding it for awhile I think. 😩

I traded in my 2015 1200 Explorer and I feel the 900 for me is just a much better ride, lighter, and still has plenty of power, not obviously as quick as the 1200, but brings a smile to my face when I ride it. Its the sort of bike when you get off you just want to get right back on. Its so comfortable, I never really found the 1200 to all that comfortable.

The TFT is amazing and seems involved at first glance, but once you get in there its very straight forward and easy to navigate. Although one thing that does bug me is not being able to display the ODO while in motion. I just find it silly to only have it display briefly on start up and shut down.

The windscreen offers brilliant protection, I now actually get a nice breeze of air, instead of the buffeting or none as I did with the 1200 with its Madstad fitted as I found the stock screen was useless.

The 900 suspension is a lot better on the road than I had anticipated. I rode the GT Pro but preferred the Rally Pro. This is a bike I could sit on for many hours, its so comfortable out of the box, I'm not going to need to do anything to it.

I've ordered upper crash bars, headlight protector, Givi rack and alloy rad covers all yet to arrive.

Do yourselves a favour and go and test ride this bike when you can get a chance, you'll be impressed I'm sure.

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
In this video comparison between AF he also mention a few differences between the 800 and 900.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts