Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I'm writing to see if anyone else has had this issue, and to comment about my experience so far with said issue:

After waiting for insurance and plates, I got to finally ride the bike. 150m....and engine light comes on. (Wednesday, June 17th)
Ride (about 150m) back home, and realize the gears are not showing (no neutral light either).

Next day, I call the dealer. Get told that the tech Will ve contacting me, and that I will have to take the bike to their shop without riding it.
Did exactly that and dropped the bike at about 2:00pm. Get told by the tech that he will contact me.

Friday goes by, and nothing. Saturday I call back the dealer, with the same answer "we'll let you know how it goes."

On Monday, I went straight to the dealership and talked to the manager. He said "the tech is inspecting the bike."

Tuesday, I come back. The manager tells me that apparently, because the bike had so little running distance, it was necessary to ride it for at least 10km before being sure there was an issue. He tells me that I should come by tomorrow to take it home and ride it.

Wednesday, I go pick the bike up like at 6:00pm (they close at 7), because that's when they had it ready. Rode it back home, and surprise, engine light still on, even when turning the bike off a couple of times along the way just in case it needed resetting or something.

Thursday I bring the bike in, and the manager is in the shop, working with the technician. They take about 30 mins. To erase all the codes and tell me to go ride it and see if the issue was gone. Still, no gears showing up.
Surprise, engine light came back on again. The tech plugged the scanner and said it was the Gearshift Position Sensor. (No **** Sherlock).
So, a week to "diagnose" that issue.
Again, get told by management that they'll do anything possible to fix it, and that they'll let me know what's up.
I get told that they will replace the sensor, but have to make sure they have it in stock.

Friday goes by, and nothing. Saturday, not a word.
Needless to say, I'm more than annoyed by now, and will probably write directly to the corporate on Monday.

UPDATE 1 (June 25):

After almost two weeks, the tech told me that the sensor seems to be giving the correct resistance values as specified by Triumph, and they don't seem to know what the issue is. Great, it took them 2 weeks to check for continuity on the circuit, check resistance values, and reset the computer 5 times.

I got into contact directly with the Triumoh Corporative in my country, and they asked for my phone number. I'm guessing they will call back tomorrow morning. As well, I'll talk with the dealer about the possibility of givig back the bike and changing it for another, or...go the legal route. We'll see how it pans out tomorrow.

I'll keep updating for anyone elese who might be interested.

UPDATE 2 (June 30):

Well, got the bike back that same afternoon, and enjoyed it for quite a bit. That was until the next day. Woke up, ready to go for a ride, and as I go turn the bike on, the same issue arises again. The gears were not showing, and added to that, the TCS was intermittent.
Back to the dealer it is.

UPDATE 3 (July 03):
Got the bike again, and everything seems to be working properly. The tech said that apparently the chain rubbed on the sensor cable, which damaged it. He relocated the conetor. I would suggest anyone with a new Tiger no make sure the chain won't rub against the cable, or the connector, since it is in kind of a compromising spot.

·
Super Moderator
2,893 Posts
Sounds like they should have just replaced the switch from the beginning. And I highly doubt they'll have it in stock. Seems dealers barely stock oil and filters anymore. The 800's were known for faulty switches as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Order yourself the Dealertool scan tool software. Well worth the price. You would have known yourself what the issue was in 10 minutes, then have the dealer fix it if you want. I know it's under warranty still, sometimes fixing yourself, or at least diagnosing yourself is much less downtime and less trips to the dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like they should have just replaced the switch from the beginning. And I highly doubt they'll have it in stock. Seems dealers barely stock oil and filters anymore. The 800's were known for faulty switches as well.
It actually turned out to not be the switch. Apparently, in the ECU connector, the pin that had the sensor signal wasn't making full connection. I just got the bike about 1hr ago, after waiting for almost 2 weeks.

WARNING: RANT ahead.

It was a new technician who found the problem, he said it took him about 4hrs. Which, in turns makes me angrier with the previous techinician that was working on the bike, because he didn't do a proper inspection of what was actually wrong. :mad:
But, at least I have my bike now, and it is working fine. I re-checked all the systems (Cruise Control, ABS, TC, Quickshifter, Heated Grips, Fog Lights) to make sure all were working properly just in case, and everything seems fine now.
So...time to break in the bike! :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts