Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I need to do some more testing. I think it’s using considerably more GoPro battery than when not using it. That’s a show stopper for me. Only half points on that one.
That's not really the fault of Triumph though, it's the GoPro having its Bluetooth permanently on for the connection and their known poor battery life. If you are using the GoPro 8 the new media mod will allow you to connect a power bank via USB and a regular jack point for a MIC. I run my GoPro Hero 4 this way (i know it's old) all day on one rechargeable battery in my breast pocket and can have it permanently wirelessly connected (not the bluetooth connection but the wireless connection) to my phone on the handlebars showing me what the camera is looking at. I think they have been overwhelmed by the demand for the media mod though, they are out of stock presently.

·
Registered
27 Posts
FYI - when I took my 900 in for service, they did have a service update that supposedly fixes the fuel gauge issues. I notice that on my GT Pro, I have to fill the tank up all the way up to the bottom of the neck where the gas is sitting just above the divider at the top of the tank. That seems ridiculously high and hard to do if you are at a pump that has no slow speed. On all of my previous bikes, I stuck the nozzle in the tank and waited till I had shutoff. I could see the gas in the tank, but it would always read 1 or 2 notches below full.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Interesting with the quick shifter. Pretty much all other bikes (including my 17 Street RS) need the revs up high and hard acceleration to stand a chance of being smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
114 Posts
To add to that the Tiger 1200 is the same, the harder you push hit the better it is but I do also find it very smooth at low revs too. I will often downshift mid corner on a slow roundabout with no perceptible transmission jolt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I recently put Givi rails on my Tiger 1200 with the Triumph branded aluminium 37ltr panniers, they come in slightly asymmetric at 47cm and 49cm. About 5cm narrower than stock Triumph rails.
The Givi website shows that rails for the Tiger 800 & 1200 are both asymmetric, and provide for a wider left pannier.
The Givi website currently doesn’t list the Tiger 900.

Interesting that the Givi rail + Triumph pannier is a bit narrower than what Givi shows on their website.
PL6408CAM OUTBACK SIDEFRAMES

·
Registered
37 Posts
Am surprised that the 1200 is less wide assed than the 800. Am interested to see what they do with the 900.

Hadn’t thought about the benefits of asymmetry. But for the 1200 with slight asymmetry of 47cm & 49cm, the narrower side faces oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the great detailed notes. Very useful.

@satxbiker Nice to know you are in the SA area. I have been wanting to get the Tiger since the 2018 model. I have a RE Himalayan as a stop gap and the T120 for street riding. Look forward to see you on one of our SA Triumph rides when this COVID passes (Check us out on FB TROSA). I do a lot of gravel riding, any thoughts on riding on loose and similar surfaces?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the great detailed notes. Very useful.

@satxbiker Nice to know you are in the SA area. I have been wanting to get the Tiger since the 2018 model. I have a RE Himalayan as a stop gap and the T120 for street riding. Look forward to see you on one of our SA Triumph rides when this COVID passes (Check us out on FB TROSA). I do a lot of gravel riding, any thoughts on riding on loose and similar surfaces?
I am a complete newb when it comes to offroad riding. I have ridden on gravel roads before, but it was always by accident when I found myself on a gravel road unintentionally. I am very nervous when it comes to riding off-road. Maybe if I was with someone who knew what they were doing it would help. I have been meaning to join the FB group. I should go do that now while I am thinking about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The bags do make my butt look bigger for sure. It is because of the high mount exhaust. I came from an S1000XR that had a low exhaust and had the same GIVI bags and they sat close into the end fairing. To make the bike look symmetrical, they pushed the bag out on the left side to match the right. They are definitely wider than the mirrors. Luggage is a must-have for me, so I am stuck with these. The other thing I do not like about the luggage is the bottom mounting point on both sides is the bottom of the passenger foot. BTW - the plate on the wall does not belong to any vehicle we own. View attachment 728956 peg mount. I am sure they did that to make the mount sturdier, but now I cannot remove the passenger pegs, which is something I have always done on all of my bikes. I never take a passenger. Being female, I have a hard time finding someone lighter than me to take!
I just noticed that the little reflector that is usually underneath the number plate is missing in your photo. Did you remove it or did it come adrift by itself? I came back from a ride today and mine is now missing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just noticed that the little reflector that is usually underneath the number plate is missing in your photo. Did you remove it or did it come adrift by itself? I came back from a ride today and mine is now missing.
I did not remove it. The auto removal must be a Tiger feature!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am a complete newb when it comes to offroad riding. I have ridden on gravel roads before, but it was always by accident when I found myself on a gravel road unintentionally. I am very nervous when it comes to riding off-road. Maybe if I was with someone who knew what they were doing it would help. I have been meaning to join the FB group. I should go do that now while I am thinking about it.
I highly recommend an adventure or light off-pavement class. You are missing out on so much fun riding off pavement that doesn't have to be jeep trails or single track. Once you get comfortable standing up on the pegs with some 80-20 or better tires mounted it's a blast. My off-pavement skills are novice. Of course it's easier to learn on a small dual sport or dirt bike...some courses will provide one!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I highly recommend an adventure or light off-pavement class. You are missing out on so much fun riding off pavement that doesn't have to be jeep trails or single track. Once you get comfortable standing up on the pegs with some 80-20 or better tires mounted it's a blast. My off-pavement skills are novice. Of course it's easier to learn on a small dual sport or dirt bike...some courses will provide one!

Can you recommend some good 80/20 tires. Also I am not sure where I would ride offroad in south Texas. Everything here is private property and extremely rocky once you get in the hill country. I had enough trouble mountain biking that stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I would be only guessing for around you, but I know there is a ton of stuff down in the Rio Grande Park area. Is there any Bureau of Land Management land (public lands) around you? Look for a local Facebook dual sport rider's group and join...they will know all the good spots and are usually very welcoming to new dirt riders. You would probably be looking for dirt double track (that you could take any Subaru on) or gravel roads to start with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My tiger 900 gt pro did not come with that reflector below the license plate. Ordered a new one and it vibrated off. Ordered another one and this time super glued it and after 3K miles it is still on. I did have one problem with the wind screen though. As you are facing the wind screen, one of the bolts with a tiny spring vibrated loose and fell off. I looked at the other bolt on the left of the wind screen and could tighten it with my fingers. So the dealer ordered me a new bolt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great review Coach, I got my 900 GT Pro three days ago and am leaning towards a lot of your views as to the bike. Mines black so most likely doesn’t go as fast as yours 😎. i Also have all the luggage too which I did think at the time didn’t really look like the money I had spent on it. A couple of little niggles include the damn Din power sockets... not their best idea. Also another small thing is the odometer... cannot seem to find it even though in the handbook it says it’s included in the service tray. All I have there is how many miles left before it’s service??

But overall happy and looking forward to when the borders open.... then I’m off.

T999
The odometer, yes I discovered the same thing. It does appears in style 2 and 3 but not in 1 and 4. Definately an oversight in my opionion as plenty of room on the layout. I pointed it out to the dealership but doubt if they raised it with Triumph.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi. I can see the ODO in the app, but can’t find the service tray on the bike?
Go to the TPMS tray, and toggle to the right or left. It will give you the service stuff, and in the upper right corner will be the ODO.

Still wondering what is so secretive about the ODO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can also find the odometer reading on the service tray at the top / right in a small font. Nicely hidden.
Hi. On my 900 GT PRO i cant find the service tray at all? If i push the home button and choose SERVICE, all i see is the distance to next service, no ODO at all?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts