Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Setup
Settle in folks. This is going to be a long one.

I purchased a Tiger 900 GT PRO (White, because white is the fastest). I received the bike in early April, so I’ve had the pleasure of riding it for about 2 months now. I’m a nobody with no affiliations or sponsors. Just an average rider like 99% of the rest of you. Not an expert. I just have my own opinions and I thought I would share my thoughts in case somebody out there might be in the shopping process and might find this information valuable. The equipment I use is as follows in case that matters. iPhone XS, GoPro 7 Black, Cardo PackTalk slim.

Engine
I’ve read lots of conflicting opinions on the bikes power and I guess it depends on your expectations but for reference my last bike had 1600cc with 125ft/lb torque and I feel the Tiger has ample power for any situation. When you really twist the wrist, it can move plenty fast. The throttle response is mostly very smooth but there are a few isolated rough spots (low rpm’s in 4th gear for example). Shifting is clean and crisp but I do find myself hitting neutral by accident on occasion

Handling
The bike handles really well. Corners well, is well balanced and easy to control in all cases. A joy to ride.

Height
I’m 5’6” with a 29” inseam. (read really short) I was concerned about my reach when I bought the bike, but I have had mostly no issues at all. I cannot flat foot it when I’m alone without luggage, but it is so well balanced it feels fine. It can feel I little heavy at times when it’s loaded with luggage, but I can also flat foot it when it’s loaded. All good.

Quick shifter
So… the quick shifter was not a feature that helped me decide on this bike. It was something I thought I would try once and then never use again. A bit of a toy. Boy was I wrong. It’s amazing and I find myself using it all the time. The only caveat I will mention (as many others have already documented) it does not like being used under stress. If you are out for a leisurely ride on a Sunday, you will use nothing but the quick shift and love it but I would not use it if you are racing or pulling hard up a hill. It seems to be mostly happy around 3500 – 4000 rpm. Just read your surroundings and judge accordingly but it’s generally really good.

Braking
The breaking overall is fine but it breaks down like this. The front brakes are absolutely awesome. The rear brakes are not so awesome. I find the rear brakes too weak for this bike and I also find that when in road mode the rear ABS engages pretty easily.

Comfort
The heated grips get really hot. Very nice. The heated seats are nice but under powered. It takes a long time to generate any heat and they do not reach a level that I think warm enough. The electronic suspension adjustment is really good. Easy to use even while moving. The lighting is bright and clear all around. The adjustable windshield is convenient but I wish it went slightly lower (but remember, I’m a short guy)

Luggage
I also purchased the Triumph branded luggage. Panniers and top box. I got the “Trekker” bags which are a 33L and a 46L Pannier and I got the 52L top box. I find the construction of these overall pretty cheap. They are plastic and the engineering tolerances are fairly loose. The monoKey system is great. I love having only 1 key to carry for my whole bike. (Hint: the key barrels are in the included tool kit) I assume the monokey barrels could be shoved in any Givi set. Not just the Triumph branded versions.

Tech
The TFT is great in all lighting conditions. No issues. The onboard software is still a little buggy. For example, my fuel range randomly shows nearly empty even though the tank is full. These bugs will get worked out shortly I’m sure. The connectivity I would classify as both awesome and tragic. The Triumph IOS phone app mostly useless with (maybe) the exception of the Navigation but even that is not great. I tried it, it was sort of nice to have the upcoming turn on the TFT but honestly the voice prompts are more than annoying and far too often. To me, it makes much more sense to just use the Nav built into my iPhone. The music volume control could be convenient but it sits alone on its own display card that you have to navigate to first. Not practical in real life riding. I just use my voice assistant instead. The intercom feature is OK but my built in Cardo intercom functions are way better. The GoPro control and the Music control are the shining stars of this system. The GoPro control is convenient especially for battery status and to know if you are recording or not BUT…. I need to do some more testing. I think it’s using considerably more GoPro battery than when not using it. That’s a show stopper for me. Only half points on that one. The music control is the display card I find myself using all the time and it is very nice. I like starting and stopping my music at will and skipping forward / back in my playlist. This is the card that is on my display 90% of the time.

So, the summary on the Tech is that I think it is a major step forward for Bike Tech but it needs to have some proper user interface design to make it usable. Putting the volume control and the music control on the same display card for example just makes sense from a usability perspective. Maybe a future version will move it forward. For now, it’s OK, not more.

And by the way, the Joystick is good and works fine. No issues

Pillion
I do ride two up maybe once a week. The bike still handles excellent. The suspension is fine. The Power has no issues at all even in the hills. Under strain you also start to feel the lovely rhythm of the triple engine. It’s very calming. On a side note My pillion claims the back rest on the Triumph branded top box pushes her a little too much forward. Might be better on one of the smaller capacity top boxes.

Overall
I think that covers most of the daily riding "stuff" that matters to most folks. I am extremely pleased with this bike. This is my first Adventure(ish) bike having owned mostly big cruisers and dirt bikes in the past.

It is hard for me to imagine somebody being disappointed with the Tiger 900. Triumph has really nailed it in almost every way and the annoying stuff, is for the most part, is a software update.

If any of you have any questions about the bike that I did not cover and that would help you in your decision making feel free to let me know. I would be happy to share my experiences with you.

The Coach

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have also bought a GT Pro recently. I have a question on how to change the seat height to the low option. The front of the seat slips into the bracket at the rear of the tank, but does the front adjustment bar under the seat still slip into the black plastic attachment or is that only when you are in the high position? I assume you have to adjust both adjustment bars at the front and the rear of the riders seat. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have also bought a GT Pro recently. I have a question on how to change the seat height to the low option. The front of the seat slips into the bracket at the rear of the tank, but does the front adjustment bar under the seat still slip into the black plastic attachment or is that only when you are in the high position? I assume you have to adjust both adjustment bars at the front and the rear of the riders seat. Thanks.
Yes, you need to adjust both adjustment bars. The 'tongue' on the front of the seat slips between the two small bars in the bracket on the rear of the tank for the high position, and under both bars for the low position. The front adjustment bar under the seat still goes into the black plastic attachment for both positions. It takes some persuasion to get both the front of the seat into the right position at the back of the tank, and the rear adjustment bar under the seat in the right position. If you can pull the seat up it is not installed correctly. It took me a lot of time wrestling with seat until I finally consulted the dealer. My biggest problem was that I was trying to put the tongue between the two small bars at the back of the tank for the low position - does not work. When the pillion seat goes on it locks the rear of the rider's seat down by sliding over the top of the rear adjustment bar. This also takes some fiddling. If both seats are installed properly they have very little movement. My bike is a GT LRH but I think that the setup is the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you. I will try that out. I wondered about the tongue going under both bars at the tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, you need to adjust both adjustment bars. The 'tongue' on the front of the seat slips between the two small bars in the bracket on the rear of the tank for the high position, and under both bars for the low position. The front adjustment bar under the seat still goes into the black plastic attachment for both positions. It takes some persuasion to get both the front of the seat into the right position at the back of the tank, and the rear adjustment bar under the seat in the right position. If you can pull the seat up it is not installed correctly. It took me a lot of time wrestling with seat until I finally consulted the dealer. My biggest problem was that I was trying to put the tongue between the two small bars at the back of the tank for the low position - does not work. When the pillion seat goes on it locks the rear of the rider's seat down by sliding over the top of the rear adjustment bar. This also takes some fiddling. If both seats are installed properly they have very little movement. My bike is a GT LRH but I think that the setup is the same.
Success - thanks heaps. I was only putting the 'tongue ' in between the 2 bars which as you know doesn't work for the low position.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great review Coach, I got my 900 GT Pro three days ago and am leaning towards a lot of your views as to the bike. Mines black so most likely doesn’t go as fast as yours 😎. i Also have all the luggage too which I did think at the time didn’t really look like the money I had spent on it. A couple of little niggles include the damn Din power sockets... not their best idea. Also another small thing is the odometer... cannot seem to find it even though in the handbook it says it’s included in the service tray. All I have there is how many miles left before it’s service??

But overall happy and looking forward to when the borders open.... then I’m off.

T999

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great review Coach, I got my 900 GT Pro three days ago and am leaning towards a lot of your views as to the bike. Mines black so most likely doesn’t go as fast as yours 😎. i Also have all the luggage too which I did think at the time didn’t really look like the money I had spent on it. A couple of little niggles include the damn Din power sockets... not their best idea. Also another small thing is the odometer... cannot seem to find it even though in the handbook it says it’s included in the service tray. All I have there is how many miles left before it’s service??

But overall happy and looking forward to when the borders open.... then I’m off.

T999
Ya the odometer thing is pretty silly. It's in the Triumph app under my garage. That's one that is hard to understand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ya the odometer thing is pretty silly. It's in the Triumph app under my garage. That's one that is hard to understand.

T999
You can also find the odometer reading on the service tray at the top / right in a small font. Nicely hidden.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Just saw the new Tiger 900 for the first time yesterday (Jeez.....c'mon, it's Alaska!) I have to say it looks fantastic, and I officially want one.😍

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
If any new 900 owners are coming from the previous or 2nd gen 800, I'd love to hear comments about the motor relative to vibes from the 270 deg. crank, especially at highway speed. That's a comment all reviewers have mentioned. Issue? Nonissue? Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great review, thanks. Am also short, so its good to see short-guy reviews.

Have a Bonneville SE with SW-Motech side cases — the width at the mirrors & side cases is approximately the same.
Have never ridden a bike with really wide assed luggage. Not sure how much of an issue this is.

So, I’m curious how wide assed the Tiger luggage is. How does the width at the handlebars & mirrors compare to the width at the luggage?

·
Super Moderator
2,868 Posts
If any new 900 owners are coming from the previous or 2nd gen 800, I'd love to hear comments about the motor relative to vibes from the 270 deg. crank, especially at highway speed. That's a comment all reviewers have mentioned. Issue? Nonissue? Thanks.
I've seen a lot of people complain about and others that say it's a non issue. Me personally, I'm not taking that chance until I can ride one. I have no plans of getting rid of my XCx, it's just too good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great review, thanks. Am also short, so its good to see short-guy reviews.

Have a Bonneville SE with SW-Motech side cases — the width at the mirrors & side cases is approximately the same.
Have never ridden a bike with really wide assed luggage. Not sure how much of an issue this is.

So, I’m curious how wide assed the Tiger luggage is. How does the width at the handlebars & mirrors compare to the width at the luggage?
The bags do make my butt look bigger for sure. It is because of the high mount exhaust. I came from an S1000XR that had a low exhaust and had the same GIVI bags and they sat close into the end fairing. To make the bike look symmetrical, they pushed the bag out on the left side to match the right. They are definitely wider than the mirrors. Luggage is a must-have for me, so I am stuck with these. The other thing I do not like about the luggage is the bottom mounting point on both sides is the bottom of the passenger foot. BTW - the plate on the wall does not belong to any vehicle we own.
peg mount. I am sure they did that to make the mount sturdier, but now I cannot remove the passenger pegs, which is something I have always done on all of my bikes. I never take a passenger. Being female, I have a hard time finding someone lighter than me to take!

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
The previous owner of my '15 XRx installed Givi mounts and Trekker Outback luggage, fitting a larger size box on the left, so they project the same distance from the bike. I like that because I never have to look closely about which box goes on which side and are use specific. I keep camping gear in the narrower one and clothes in the wider one. I bet you could find someone to do a trade with you if you were patient and so inclined...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

The TwistedThrottle.com website has a pic of the Tiger 800 with the asymmetric Givi panniers. Total width is 106cm or 41.7”.

Looks like the Tiger 900 Trekker panniers are also asymmetric with 46L & 33L capacities. But I didn’t find any ass-wide pics or dimensions.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Coach: re, Trekker luggage. A buddy of mine has these and I assumed they were pretty much Givi Outback cases like mine, rebranded. Mine are aluminum and quite robust. I wonder what you're comparing them to. They're not Pelican cases, ie. they'll dent. Or even Shad cases (my favorite: aerodynamic shape and latch/open without a key) but I DO like that they come off/on super easy and can double as a seat. I don't think my buddy's are plastic though...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Jacob, please see the picture of the triumph expedition cases on my bike. They are not asymmetrical. They are identical to the Givi trekker outback 37 liter cases.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@coachswizzle a good post.... I picked up my Rally Pro a few days ago. I used to have the Explorer XCa till it was written off (not my fault). Got to say I was dubious at down sizing but so far I'm impressed with it. 2 things wrong so far, the dealer didn't enable bluetooth during the PDI. The other is I filled the tank and the fuel registered. The onboard computer calculated mpg etc, next day with 3/4 of a tank its telling me the tanks empty with all the warnings to fill up. Im going to wait for the service. Luggage I am still mulling what to use. On the explorer I had give boxes, 37ltr exhaust side (right) and a 48ltr left side.. Would this combination work and does anyone know if they'll fit before I buy a frame.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I recently put Givi rails on my Tiger 1200 with the Triumph branded aluminium 37ltr panniers, they come in slightly asymmetric at 47cm and 49cm. About 5cm narrower than stock Triumph rails.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts