Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 GT Pro. I disconnected the battery to install a hard wire for the GPS. When I reconnected the battery AND THEN turned the ignition on, a TES system fault displayed on the TFT. I have taken it to the dealer, so far they say it is Triumphs position that anytime the battery is disconnected it will cause a suspension system fault. This will require a dealer reset. Does this really make sense to anyone? I could see that if I disconnected the suspension system while the power was on it would throw a fault just like and monitored system. But with power off and just performing battery maintenance I do not believe this to be a justified response. I am still discussing this issue and have also requested this assertion to be put in writing as an official Triumph statement. Any suggestions? I know of at least one other report of intermittent issues with the TES faults on the TFT.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lots of issues seem to be related to disconnecting the battery (people having persistent faults, menu items disappearing, etc.) The dealer seem to reflash a component (ECU?) to rectify.

I think this is one of the problems with having electronically complex bikes unfortunately. Maybe a protection built into the bike to protect it from battery shenanigans...same thing happened to cars the past few years, you could do practically everything yourself, now you need a computer with connection to the constructor (dealer-only) to do an oil change.

Don't think you can do much about this...

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I had a fault after diconnecting the battery/fuse ( engine fault) i connected a cheap OBDII and cleared the fault. It would not go away when restarting the bike no matter how often i stopped and started.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not believe that acceptance of these issues is appropriate. I am sure that if one were to buy a new car these days and have this issue there would be an uproar. For one to think that the ECU and can bus system of a motorcycle is much more complex than the average automobile I believe is a fallacy. The owners manual not indicate ANY special procedure for battery maintenance. In fact it states the battery should be removed for charging if a planned two week lapse in use is expected.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I do agree that a simple battery disconnect should not require a dealer visit. The old tiger 800 just required 3 clear no fault start stops and the fault would auto reset. This would be acceptable in my opinion. As to my statement earlier regarding the OBDII connector to clear a fault whilst this works it should really not be required unless there is a real ongoing fault.

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro
193 Posts
I've only had my Tiger 900 since December and it's my first ever Triumph but have seen other threads on here where people report different problems when they disconnect the battery - losing menu items has already been mentioned. These stories of needing a dealer reflash make me nervous.

Back some years ago car radios used to lose preset stations when the battery was disconnected but we could get a small battery pack (just a few AA cells in a box and alligator clips) that bridged the cables and supplied 12 volts to the car until the battery was connected again. This kept radio stations intact. I'm thinking it might be a good idea if I ever want to hard wire something to the bike.

One advantage of the Indian I just sold was that it had switched 12v connectors in the headlight nacelle and under the seat so that people could add things without cabling directly to the battery.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Do they want to charge you to reset this? If so, it’s outrageous. If not, it’s a design flaw. I would call Triumph USA in Atlanta and get their take on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also have disconnected my battery a couple times now with no issues. Only thing I had to do upon re-connection is to reset the date and time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I picked my bike up today. Noted to have suspension update performed and technical SB 211 procedure performed. Unable to have an explanation of that service as it is reported to be confidential per Triumph. Time will tell I suppose. But the service report per triumph tech support says that “ the dash will throw or store codes when the battery is disconnected and reconnected.” This will make routine self maintenance a nightmare I feel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should be able to clear error codes (and reset the service interval) with TuneECU.
I did not try Tune ECU but did hook up the Dealertool which showed no codes. I also have Tune ECU OBD Il to use next as well. So, these codes may not be readily viewed by the aftermarket products. Further trials needed.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
I did not try Tune ECU but did hook up the Dealertool which showed no codes. I also have Tune ECU OBD Il to use next as well. So, these codes may not be readily viewed by the aftermarket products. Further trials needed.
Dealer tool showed no codes but you still had the CEL? And you can’t clear it with DT? You need Bluetooth (OBDLink LX adapter) with Android TuneECU to connect to the 900.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had the same issue with my new Tiger 900 GT Pro: disconnected the battery and got the TES warning. The dealer could not find (nore clear) any fault codes. He disconnected the battery for “more then one minute to clear any issues” and as a result i got a second TES warning. He resceduled my 1000 km maintenence to investigate the issue.
Not satisfied i tried solving the issue myself, and eventualy found the culprit!

its the TES Mode link!

disengaging the TES mode link and then resetting it clears the warning!

TES now works again and the warning is gone (in my case both are gone).

Did enage the TES mode link again, and the link came up with no issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had the same issue with my new Tiger 900 GT Pro: disconnected the battery and got the TES warning. The dealer could not find (nore clear) any fault codes. He disconnected the battery for “more then one minute to clear any issues” and as a result i got a second TES warning. He resceduled my 1000 km maintenence to investigate the issue.
Not satisfied i tried solving the issue myself, and eventualy found the culprit!

its the TES Mode link!

its the TES Mode link!

Excellent information feedback. I will store this in my little brain for further investigation should this problem returns.
Thank you very much.

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro
193 Posts

its the TES Mode link!

Can you give some detail of this please? I can't find anything in the user manual about TES at all. The GT Pro is my first ever Triumph and I'm not familiar with their terminology.
Is this something you do through a menu on the dash or a plug you disconnect?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can you give some detail of this please? I can't find anything in the user manual about TES at all. The GT Pro is my first ever Triumph and I'm not familiar with their terminology.
Is this something you do through a menu on the dash or a plug you disconnect?
You are correct. I did not find any service information in my manual on the TES (triumph electronic suspension) system either. You can find the TES setting under the the main menu then bike setup sub menu.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here you go:
Key in the ON position engine NOT running
Push HOME button
Go to BIKE SETUP then OK
Go to TES then OK
Go to MODES LINK then OK
Go to DISABELED then OK
Push HOME button
Key in the OFF position

then key in the ON position and check if the TES error is gone.

in my case the errors were gone. And stayed gone even after putting the MODES LINK on ENABELED again

·
Registered
10 Posts
For those interested (from the service manual page 324):
Diagnostics and Testing
Suspension ECM Diagnostic Trouble Codes

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are logged in the Suspension ECM memory when there is a confirmed fault in the system. The codes are reported to the Triumph diagnostic tool as a four digit code.
When the system detects a fault, it begins to count the number of times the fault occurs before confirming the fault and storing a fault code. A confirmed fault may be indicated by the effected system(s) simply becoming inoperative, or by the illumination of a system warning light and/or instrument warning message.
Similarly, if a fault clears, the suspension ECM also records this fact and will extinguish any warning lights or instrument messages and restore normal operation to the affected system, when sufficient no-fault ignition switch cycles have taken place. Any fault codes will remain in the suspension ECM memory until the required number of no-fault ignition switch cycles have taken place. The number of ignition switch cycles required to restore normal operation will always be less than the number required to remove a DTC from the suspension ECM memory. DTCs can be removed at any time using the Triumph diagnostic tool.

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro
193 Posts
Thanks for the info, that's helpful. The Inspector Gadget part of my brain likes to keep up with the techno side of my bikes.

One thing I've appreciated on the GT Pro is how the rear suspension changes between riding modes. It's impressive how the bike rises and falls when switching between rain and sport modes. I guess disabling the modes link stops any suspension changes.

Is there a readily available pdf service manual out there somewhere?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts