Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone & Happy new year.
Right, I have Tiger 900 GT Pro on order ( March) .
A bit of Advice from you owners / future owners.
It will be a Road bike only........
1) As radiator is exposed, I'm thinking £80 for triumph Ally grills to protect them, can't be a bad investment? or is it a bit of a waste of money?
2) as I could not ride for a month sometimes, an Optimate ( Opitmate 3 I believe £55 ) is essential, looking at some comments it looks it can be charged by plugging in via socket by ignition? is this correct ?
3) top box so sliding carriage plus TREKKER top box . £440 . would like this with bike so no ruck sack needed. but could possibly wait do to funds, or lack of.

I think this will satisfy my needs , any little " bits " or tips you can say is a massive benefit?

thanks , Phil.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Battery maintainer ( Optimate) definitely a must have if bike will be laid up for a month.

Chico

·
Registered
50 Posts
1) As radiator is exposed, I'm thinking £80 for triumph Ally grills to protect them, can't be a bad investment? or is it a bit of a waste of money?
2) as I could not ride for a month sometimes, an Optimate ( Opitmate 3 I believe £55 ) is essential, looking at some comments it looks it can be charged by plugging in via socket by ignition? is this correct ?
3) top box so sliding carriage plus TREKKER top box . £440 . would like this with bike so no ruck sack needed. but could possibly wait do to funds, or lack of.

I think this will satisfy my needs , any little " bits " or tips you can say is a massive benefit?

thanks , Phil.

thanks , Phil.
I think the rad guard is a worthwhile investment. And if you want a GPS, the Evotech mount is very good as noted above. Also, be aware that the standard Givi trekker top box will not fit the Triumph sliding carriage without drilling some additional holes, but if you are going to buy the triumph branded top box then no problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts

thanks , Phil.
Someone selling some rad guards here Genuine Triumph Tiger 900 Radiator Guards

·
Registered
471 Posts
A minor option in cost and installation, but I have noticed a few GT owners getting a front fender extender to keep crud off the rads.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Has the GT not already have radiator grills? I fitted aluminium grills to the 850 Sport as they come with nothing and they look good......front mudguard extension and and a rear hugger because the Tiger doesn't half throw road crap at its self, I'm still looking for something to plug the bloody stupid slot in the rear number plate carrier.. PS My dealership fits Optimate leads to all new bikes ......

·
Registered
50 Posts
Has the GT not already have radiator grills? I fitted aluminium grills to the 850 Sport as they come with nothing and they look good......front mudguard extension and and a rear hugger because the Tiger doesn't half throw road crap at its self, I'm still looking for something to plug the bloody stupid slot in the rear number plate carrier.. PS My dealership fits Optimate leads to all new bikes ......
Pyramid Plastics make an infill for the slot in the number plate carrier - part No SKU36000

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just wondering, do those radiator grills make tiger start overheating in summer ?

maybe a question for Tiger owners from warmer countries?🤣

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro Svartpilen 401
844 Posts
A battery tender can be used with the power outlet near the ignition as it's on all the time. The outlet under the pillion seat is switched with ignition.

The front fender extender is a good idea as the bottom of the motor gets a lot of mud etc thrown at it. The slot above the rear fender has already been mentioned. I looked at the Pyramid Plastics parts but shipping to Australia was twice the parts price so I'm thinking of some other way of filling in the gap. It's a poor design choice and in wet weather I get a lot of crud thrown up under the luggage mount.

The first time I rode mine in the rain I found out my leather jacket that I'd been riding with for four of five years has mesh under the armpits. The Tiger windshield is the perfect width to channel rain into that mesh and within minutes I was riding home with water running down my ribs. I got the Givi touring windshield which is considerably wider and taller. For summer riding I put the original back on.

If you go for the Triumph luggage, the stuff with the black bands and rounded corners has certain advantages. First is that the two side panniers fit the top box mount. I bought the lot which gives enormous space for touring, but means I have three different size top boxes for when I have smaller requirements like wet weather gear for a day trip. The second advantage is that the lock barrels can be removed easily from the inside. If you damage anything the barrel can be swapped to a new one. This is not the case with the square ammo box luggage. When you buy the bike it will come with three barrels for luggage that match the bike key.

If you bypass the Triumph luggage and go straight for the Give stuff, they will have a mount that does not need the sliding carriage. You can probably find Givi luggage cheaper than Triumph, even though Triumph brands the Givi units and only makes a slight change to mount setup. The sliding carriage is a Triumph invention that allows the top box to move about 5mm sideways. They say it stops instability from the way wind moves around the rider and across the box. Some people lock off the sliding bit as it can get a bit of a clicky noise that they find irritating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A battery tender can be used with the power outlet near the ignition as it's on all the time. The outlet under the pillion seat is switched with ignition.

The front fender extender is a good idea as the bottom of the motor gets a lot of mud etc thrown at it. The slot above the rear fender has already been mentioned. I looked at the Pyramid Plastics parts but shipping to Australia was twice the parts price so I'm thinking of some other way of filling in the gap. It's a poor design choice and in wet weather I get a lot of crud thrown up under the luggage mount.

The first time I rode mine in the rain I found out my leather jacket that I'd been riding with for four of five years has mesh under the armpits. The Tiger windshield is the perfect width to channel rain into that mesh and within minutes I was riding home with water running down my ribs. I got the Givi touring windshield which is considerably wider and taller. For summer riding I put the original back on.

If you go for the Triumph luggage, the stuff with the black bands and rounded corners has certain advantages. First is that the two side panniers fit the top box mount. I bought the lot which gives enormous space for touring, but means I have three different size top boxes for when I have smaller requirements like wet weather gear for a day trip. The second advantage is that the lock barrels can be removed easily from the inside. If you damage anything the barrel can be swapped to a new one. This is not the case with the square ammo box luggage. When you buy the bike it will come with three barrels for luggage that match the bike key.

If you bypass the Triumph luggage and go straight for the Give stuff, they will have a mount that does not need the sliding carriage. You can probably find Givi luggage cheaper than Triumph, even though Triumph brands the Givi units and only makes a slight change to mount setup. The sliding carriage is a Triumph invention that allows the top box to move about 5mm sideways. They say it stops instability from the way wind moves around the rider and across the box. Some people lock off the sliding bit as it can get a bit of a clicky noise that they find irritating.
thank you for that, Givi is defo cheaper, but will price up before buying.

·
Registered
4 Posts

1. Also contemplating radiator guards - let me know which you go with.

2. I have the Optimate 4 but use pigtails installed on the battery leads, not sure about using the socket. My previous 800 GS had the socket set-up and worked just fine, just not familiar with Triumph's electrical set up.

3. I've always had good luck with SW Motech so I went with them for a black top box (match the bike color), hinged/adjustable gearshift lever (learned the hard way on previous bike) and brake pedal extender (I really like the extra large pad and do stand up sometimes) - very happy with the fitment and their instructions are excellent.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I am thinking that I will order the the fender extender and the spray cover for back end from Pyramid. If I use Royal Mail option, shipping is about 50% of the two parts cost.

I am also wondering if I should get Hugger too. Is the hugger necessary and does this eliminate the need for the spray cover. I have not picked up my black GT Pro yet, but it looks like Matte Black is a better choice than gloss black??? If I add this to my cart, the option for Royal Mail goes away, but the courier costs are the same for all three.

Finally, is Pyramid pretty much our only option for these parts at the moment?

·
Registered
28 Posts
For the hugger and the extenda fenda are alternatives from Powerbronze and Puig (and uncle Ali) that i’m aware of.
For the spray cover there is a 3D printed option.

I went for the pyramid options (all three of them, in matte black).
The hugger and extenda are top notch.
The spray guard wasn’t the same fit and finish as the others, but does the trick.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts