Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Tiger 900 Aftermarket Crash Bar Test

125K views 490 replies 95 participants last post by  flyingburritobrother 
#1 ·
It's a savage way to test the product, but apparently this company does this test with all their bars.

#300 ·
Glad to hear you pulled them. Just too high a risk to have them on. I've dropped my bike a number of times without the upper bars. No major damage, just a few chips in the plastic radiator wings... and some scraching on the tank due to hard drop a week after I removed the upper bars. In hindsight, I can almost guarantee, the beak sub-frame would have shattered in that hard drop if the Hackjob/Breaker bars were still installed.

#301 ·
Thanks. I appreciate the reassurance. I'm certain my riding off pavement/ off road will be mild enough that the lower bars will do the job. Replacing the wings in the future is easy if / when I sell the bike. (y)

#302 ·
My saga has finally come to an end. After being quoted $500 from the local Triumph shop to remove the broken OM bolt, I decided to do it myself.

A word of advice to anyone else who has to take on this task. Unbolt the radiators and move them out of the way, take out the opposing motor mount bolt and get a long enough drill bit to reach through to the opposite side of the broken bolt. Where the bolts go into the frame, they go all the way through so you can extract the bolt from the backside of the motor mount.
Here's the culprit:

Attachments

#303 ·
OMG. @Kikdrum, that is crazy. Both that it has been such a long story and that the shop wanted $500.00 to get the bolt out. I'm really pleased that you have made it work. I guess all you need are new mounting bolts? Or do you still have the OEM bolts. I have the Outback Motortek bolts, 67mm length, if you need them. Used and removed, but not broken.

At the very least, you are now the resident expert on fixing this problem. I'm sure there is a badge for this accomplishment, but otherwise, I'm really glad you're on the other side of this issue.

Standing back, I'm still pissed that this clear issue has persisted with no responsible, or respectable, response from Triumph or OM. I understand that legal issues can arise, esp in the US, but the motorcycling community would, on the whole, be really impressed with a company that stood up and said, 'we did the best we could with the design and testing, and unfortunately we've found a potential problem. So we're looking into it, and we'll get back to our customers with an update on what we've learned'. That sort of thing.

Eh, what do I know. Very, very little, thankfully.

Reactions: Kikdrum
#305 ·
Thanks guys!
It wasn't an easy task, but if I started out with the proper tools and a little more experience, it probably would have taken about an hour.
On a side note, the Triumph dealer says their service department charges $149 per hour!!! HOLY CRAP!! I haven't let a dealer work on my bike in a long time. Last I can recall was about 50-70 per hour.

I originally took the bike in because the quick shifter became intermittent. I told them that it happened after I washed the bike and I suspect water intrusion. They spent all day trying to replicate the issue without getting the bike wet. After finding out that they didn't even get to the bolt and then wanted to charge $500 for the bolt extraction I immediately went up there and picked up my bike. The quick shifter was going to be a warranty issue. Could you imagine the price tag if it wasn't?

#307 ·
After this saga I would recommend only installing the lower bars from them. DON'T ATTACH ANYTHING to the upper engine mounts!! I don't care if the bolts were made out of titanium. It's a bad design. I can't totally fault OM. The Tiger design doesn't leave many options. I will say I'll take a dent in my tank or a broken plastic part over the risk of frame stress from this point on.

I'm a little surprised (well.....maybe not) that this is their solution. I would ask if they're planning a re-design. I think this thread justifies it.

#312 ·
"It's not Heeds fault".

YES....it is. They are attaching to a component of the bike that is not designed for drop impact loads of that level.

It's like moths to a flame with these upper crash bars. How many more need to suffer failures before it sinks in.

I'm going to share those images over on ADV rider if it hasn't already been done.

#314 ·
"It's not Heeds fault".

YES....it is. They are attaching to a component of the bike that is not designed for drop impact loads of that level.

It's like moths to a flame with these upper crash bars. How many more need to suffer failures before it sinks in.

I'm going to share those images over on ADV rider if it hasn't already been done.
Yup!! Any crash bar that damages the bike due to a drop (within reason) is the fault of the manufacturer of the bars.
I will say for OM, they did do real world drops, but that doesn't account for proper stress analysis.

#318 ·
I was watching the recent vid from Brent Tkacs and his mate who rides a Tiger 900 only has lower bars on. I don't know which brand, but I think it is interesting that he has decided not to have them, apparently regardless of brand, and this includes Outback Motortek, which BT preferred for the 1250 GS, IIRC.

This bar does appear to mount to the upper engine & frame point, behind the triangular panels, but also has a single connection point in front of the header.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Helmet

Camouflage Automotive lighting Automotive tire Military camouflage Motor vehicle

Attachments

#319 ·
Those lower bars are the factory OEM bars that come on the RP.

I was watching the recent vid from Brent Tkacs and his mate who rides a Tiger 900 only has lower bars on. I don't know which brand, but I think it is interesting that he has decided not to have them, apparently regardless of brand, and this includes Outback Motortek, which BT preferred for the 1250 GS, IIRC.

This bar does appear to mount to the upper engine & frame point, behind the triangular panels, but also has a single connection point in front of the header.

View attachment 787410
View attachment 787411

#334 ·
Sort of a related issue. I removed my Outback Motortek bars about two weeks ago. I went on a BMW Rally gathering in Nakusp, BC, and did an off road ride. 200 kms in total, and there were some seriously scary moments in slimy mud. I thought I was going down four or five times, and then the bike got away from me. 20 kph into the mud; a fast solid slam. Some damage. I have no idea if the OM bars would have saved the cosmetic damage, or if another bolt break would have occurred. Still, now I have a small chip and dent in the tank as well as other scratches. Sigh. Just wanted to share this here. Nothing else really. When you ride off road, these things can happen so I'm not unaware of the risk. Just makes me think that some additional protection is worth considering. As well as more aggressive tires.

'night all.
Sky Tire Wheel Mountain Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting

Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Vehicle

Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Tire

Helmet Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Sports equipment

#335 ·
Sort of a related issue. I removed my Outback Motortek bars about two weeks ago. I went on a BMW Rally gathering in Nakusp, BC, and did an off road ride. 200 kms in total, and there were some seriously scary moments in slimy mud. I thought I was going down four or five times, and then the bike got away from me. 20 kph into the mud; a fast solid slam. Some damage. I have no idea if the OM bars would have saved the cosmetic damage, or if another bolt break would have occurred. Still, now I have a small chip and dent in the tank as well as other scratches. Sigh. Just wanted to share this here. Nothing else really. When you ride off road, these things can happen so I'm not unaware of the risk. Just makes me think that some additional protection is worth considering. As well as more aggressive tires.

'night all.
View attachment 789470

View attachment 789471
View attachment 789472

View attachment 789473

View attachment 789474

View attachment 789475
Looks like some awesome scenery. Yeah, tires....lol. Thanks for sharing.

#337 ·
Damn Damon. Sorry to hear about the damage. More aggressive tires definitely would have helped...but mud is a whole other wicked beast with these big heavy ADV bikes. Your tires look more street worthy. Even the Dunlop Trailmax tires (50/50) I had completely SUCKED in mud....but were good everywhere else.

Best part about this....you weren't injured. ;)

#338 ·
Thanks guys. Yep, it was a real challenge in the slick stuff. Very fine silt; absolutely the scariest riding moments I've ever had. You just never know what you'll run into, and it is always good to have company when you're off in the woods. I'll check into replacement plastic, and I'll report back on prices. I may or may not change them. I think some of the scratches can be made less apparent, and at least the first ding is out of the way.

Reactions: Kikdrum
#341 ·
FBB,
That looks like the slick snot that I went down in. Treacherous stuff. I will change the tires when they get worn, but not before. I'm finally running up against a lack of money; not working will do that, so it seems. And really, I think this will be my last bike, or nearly so. Anything next will be smaller rather than bigger, and in total truth, I'm very happy with the Tiger. Except for the dash display....

I may look at Puig upper bars. I met a guy at the Touratech Rally in Washington last month, also with a Tiger from Vancouver, and he fit the upper Puig bars with the OM skid pan and lowers, with only a bit of fiddling. They don't attach to the beak or the upper front engine mounts, so a good start there.

Good to have a crew to share this stuff with. (y)

#345 ·
Friends
I somehow found a YT video on the OM crash bars for the Tiger 900, by Chase on two wheels. (convert into YT speak). I posted a comment, and I'd like to get a few opinons from others here on the video as well as my comment. Honest reactions welcomed. I know that we don't need to beat this topic forever, but this video seems a bit ... glib and superficial to me. Though, he did have fitment issues and reported them honestly, I think.

It is just that after the reported problems, from many owners, that this bar set on this particular bike cannot be treated as a 'no questions' install.

So, with your 'kind but honest' mode turned on, I would like to get some response from other Tiger owners here.

Cheers,

#346 ·
Damon. I think your comment was completely appropriate and respectful. People need to know of your customer service issue with the owner...AND...the bolt breakage. It'll be interesting to see if your comment and another guys comment about frame failures get deleted. That will tell you a lot.

As for the video itself.... it's pretty bad that the guy kept saying the bars didn't line up due to being bent in shipping. Seriously? I have a feeling he's going to be another victim of broken bolts....especially based on his comments about not being "mechanically inclinded". He also mentioned that all the crap being bolted on added 30 pounds. Good grief....that isn't a selling point in my opinion.

Think I'll leave my mark too....

#352 ·
IMO I think it's Triumph's design on the 900. Not many options for mounting points and the some available have potential for critical damage.
The OM bars for the big BMW RS are praised as the best. But the design of the BMW has solid mount points.
I'm going to look into issues with other manufacturers.
Great question.

#355 ·
Wow man.... and OM is still selling these bars.....and people keep buying them.

This makes 3 catastrophic frame failures due to OM that we know of. That doesn't include the folks who found the broken bolts before the frame collapsed.

Get them off your bike people!!

#356 ·
Holy crap!!!! OM bars void the warranty.....hmmmmm. That in itself should have people returning their bars like crazy. I forgot about these pictures I took of the bolts after removing the bars. Notice anything similar between the two? It appears the sheared bolt has the same stress marks as the one that was still in tact.
My advice: If you can't return them, keep the lowers and throw the uppers into the f** trashcan where they belong.
Automotive exhaust Cylinder Auto part Metal Pipe
Hand Finger Gas Nail Household hardware

#357 ·
I pulled off my OM upper and lowers and put the OEM lowers back on because of what I kept reading/seeing on this thread.
Are the OM lowers better than the original ones the bike came with? I’m thinking about putting the OM lowers back on because I hate feeling like I wasted all that money on crash bars I can’t use.

#358 ·
Welcome to the club of wasted money on bars which have become paperweights.

Smart man on pulling the uppers at least. They're a time bomb waiting to go off.

I've had the OEM lowers on and have dropped the bike numerous times. They have performed very well.

#360 · (Edited)
After seeing horrible experiences with crash bars people have been sharing here, I too decided to stick with OEM lower bars for now.

However it still bugs me that the torque specs Triumph specified for the OEM bars of Tiger 900s are quite low i.e. 15Nm for M8 bolts and 6Nm for M6 bolts. For Tiger 800s’s OEM bars, they’re 20Nm for M8s and 8Nm for M6s; For the new Tiger 1200s, they’re 19Nm for M8s and 8Nm for M6s…Anyway I sticked with OEM specs and used some blue Loctite just for sure.

The other day during practice, I dropped my bike at 0 speed during a full lock U-turn. It was a very minor drop with no damage to the bike whatsoever, except for some scratches at Barkbusters, the bar itself wasn’t even scratched. However upon closer inspection, I noticed the right upper mounting was pushed to the left by about 2.5mm and the bolt was loosen a bit. Everytime I finish tightening bolts, I use a marker to mark the positions of the bolts, hence I can clearly see and measure the exact number if the bolts were ever dislocated.
Gas Audio equipment Household hardware Metal Cable

The black mark’s before the drop, the red mark’s after.

I might just tighten the bolts to 20Nm this time…