Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
121 - 140 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Where are you routing the Fog Lights? I want to change the OEM uppers for this system, but didn’t think about asking for the OEM light bracket.
I'm not running fog lights. I bought a Rally, non-Pro.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have any Tiger 900 owners dropped the bike with the factory engine protector installed but absent any tank protectors?
As in, just a stock Rally Pro been dropped?

I am curious to know if the tank touches the ground on drops. And if not, then what the value of a system like Outback Motortek really provides.
Yep. Just 17 hours ago, going about 10km/hr and tried to cross a slippery plastic path edging in my own front yard. It was dark and the angle was not close enough to perpendicular. I had a URD. An Unexpected, Rapid, Dismount. Went down like a sack of potatoes.
Did the tank scratch?? Yes. Right on the outer most point, so that is why tonight I’m looking at how to order the Outback upper crash bars.
I’m not sure of the repair cost, but I only want to do it once.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was out yesterday for a little ride around the in sun, and took this pic of the Outback Motortek bars on the 850. I noticed that the OM bars are really low on the bike; they don't come up and cover the tank at all. The upper and lower bars are quite compact in the overall area they cover So perhaps there is less leverage on these bars in a fall, and if they did bend, they would contact the lower plastic panel, which is itself a bit flexible. Note that the Triumph-branded bumper bit is an AliExp add on, not part of the OM bars. They don't really fit these bars, but with some heat and some crafty knife-work, they can be persuaded to stay on.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
15 Posts
Having read the whole thread, anyone unhappy with the SW Motech bars? Have a 900 RP on the way and it'll be here far before the bars based on the SW Motech site. Figure I may order them if they're the current consensus on the best choice out there.

Do plan on riding off road as much as possible, I'm sure it'll be taking dirt naps at times.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I like Givi stuff in general, and I had Givi bars on my V-Strom. And although I had a bolt break on my Outback motortek, and the owner of OM was not helpful or personable when I related my problem, I think the design of the OM bars is pretty good. The Givi bars appear to have a lot of unsupported bar forward of the vertical element. Just the way it looks, but I can see that the forward part, with the plastic bumper at the top, could be bent inwards towards the body. That said, that area of plastic is a bit flexible and the parts are small and relatively easily replaced.

That is just a thought, based on looking at the picture, so not a considered opinion.

·
Registered
2020 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
215 Posts
I had a bolt break on my Outback motortek, and the owner of OM was not helpful or personable when I related my problem
That's reason enough that I would never support them. Manufacturers that don't stand behind their products do not deserve my hard earned money. Hepco and Becker and Motomachines being on that list.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I understand your point, and I agree. But I could come up with a long list of products with disappointing customer support. That is not an excuse for them or a free pass, but my impression at this point is that, on balance, the OM bars are the best option in terms of design. I did also get excellent service from Dual Sport Plus, the dealer here in Canada, so that also merits consideration.

Personally, I like having crash bars on my bike for the low speed falls. I've seen the other reports of damage to tanks and engines and I take all of that seriously. As I also keep the poor attitude of Lorry Gombos, the owner of Outback Motortek in mind when I discuss their products with others.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm curious what the exact point of failure is with the OEM bars. I've read about pivoting, but is the root cause the upper bracket mount? That looks like a weak spot and is really not distributing force to both bars, but to the mounting points of the hit bar and the bracket. Or, is it the bars themselves? Any photos of a failed OEM bars?
Mine came with the bike, and I don't wish to spend more money on a replacement until I understand exactly why the OEMs are bad.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm curious what the exact point of failure is with the OEM bars. I've read about pivoting, but is the root cause the upper bracket mount? That looks like a weak spot and is really not distributing force to both bars, but to the mounting points of the hit bar and the bracket. Or, is it the bars themselves? Any photos of a failed OEM bars?
Mine came with the bike, and I don't wish to spend more money on a replacement until I understand exactly why the OEMs are bad.
I have the OEM bars on my RP, and had a low speed crash in a mud puddle, off road. Not sure I was doing much more than about 5 mph, and that was enough to push the upper crash bar into the fairing, putting a hole in it from the fog light mount. I was able to pull the bar back out to its original position by hand. Not a very strong system. After that, I consider the OEM bars more of a cosmetic thing, than any real protection.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm no expert on anything, and I've never even seen the OEM full bar set in person, but my impression is that the OEM upper bar basically bends under the weight of the bike, and/ or the moment force of a fall. So the upper bar bends in and itself does damage to the tank. I recall some photos and reports of engine case damage at bar mounting points, but I don't know any details. If a bike goes down at say 50 kph/ 30 mph, I'd expect all sorts of damage, bars or not. But for the low speed, 'oh shiiiiit!' tip-overs, I would expect the bike to be protected, excepting strange things happening, or something poking up from the ground and causing damage.

I have a friend, who is a new rider, and he has an 850 with factory bars. I admit I am concerned about the OEM bars and the reports of them not standing up to low speed overs. If @HeliMark was able to bend it back by hand, that is something to raise eyebrows.

·
Registered
2020 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
215 Posts
. But for the low speed, 'oh shiiiiit!' tip-overs, I would expect the bike to be protected, excepting strange things happening, or something poking up from the ground and causing damage.
It's all a crapshoot....how you fall, what you fall on and speed. Proven by the guy with the factory RP lower engine bars punching a hole in his engine case in a minor fall. I'm sticking with this statement: Any brand of upper tank bars provide a false sense of security. Not worth the risk of other costly damage....and not worth the weight.

121 - 140 of 295 Posts