Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
101 - 120 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
The BHG-083 version, with the Storm plastic guards, is what I bought. The 083 is apparently specifically for the 2020 and on 900's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I fitted Outback Motortek crash bars and skid plate to my GT PRO.
I tested them this summer during some off-road.
The GT version is lower than the Rally one and has about 18-19 cm of road clearance.
It’s enough to pass some good off road but not in a fast manner, since you bump the road often.
I was with my wife and the bike was fully loaded. We often hit our bottom against the stones and gravel.
The skid plate withstood everything remarkably, it did not even bend.
I started my off-road pass at the softest setting of the rear suspension, but had to put it to sport mode to minimize the swinging of the motorcycle, it helped.
The side guards also helped when I fell a few time. I hit them once on a big stone that I didn’t see when doing water passing.
The only thing I did after is I painted the chips on skid plate and guards with black paint to prevent corrosion and checked the tightness of the bolts.
Nothing bent or cracked.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I agree that the OM stuff is very tough, and I think the skid plate is well-designed and mounted. I'd be surprised if it bent unless you really hit it hard. Since my bars have been back on I haven't fallen over so no dents or scrapes on them. I'm sure they will hold up well, as long as the bolts don't break :confused:. Speaking of which, I'll have to check on the OEM replacements. Still waiting for those but the dealer put in Triumph crash bar bolts.

I did line the inside of the skid plate with sound absorbing stuff to reduce the mechanical noise reflections, and that did help a bit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree that the OM stuff is very tough, and I think the skid plate is well-designed and mounted. I'd be surprised if it bent unless you really hit it hard. Since my bars have been back on I haven't fallen over so no dents or scrapes on them. I'm sure they will hold up well, as long as the bolts don't break :confused:. Speaking of which, I'll have to check on the OEM replacements. Still waiting for those but the dealer put in Triumph crash bar bolts.

I did line the inside of the skid plate with sound absorbing stuff to reduce the mechanical noise reflections, and that did help a bit.
Thank you for an advice with putting sound absorbing material on a skid plate. I have a mechanical echo too :) I guess I will do the same

·
Registered
184 Posts
The sound absorbing material took away some of the higher pitched 'ringing' sounds. As I have the large Givi screen I get mechanical noise reflected from that as well.

Anyhow, just a thought. I posted pics somewhere here. I have them if you can't find them.

Reactions: Demyan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have any Tiger 900 owners dropped the bike with the factory engine protector installed but absent any tank protectors?
As in, just a stock Rally Pro been dropped?

I am curious to know if the tank touches the ground on drops. And if not, then what the value of a system like Outback Motortek really provides.
Dropped my Tiger 900 GT Pro yesterday during some slow speed U turn practicing in a deserted carpark. Factory fitted engine protector installed, no tank protectors.

The engine bars sustained some very minor scratches, but I'm happy to report that the tank was clear above the ground (although annoyingly the end of the brake lever snapped, even though the hand guard is fine).

I'm also wondering why bother with tank protection as I'll likely won't be going off road and my drops are likely to be in the garage/on the road. Glad I paid for the factory engine protector bars though!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Were you able to pick up the bike yourself?
Off topic, I dropped my Tiger once. I was able to pick it up by myself; 62 yo, normal strength guy, with a moderately weak back. It was at least as easy as my Suzuki V-Strom 650 and much, much easier than my F800GS. Butt on the seat, handlebar and grab rail, back straight, look up, walk back. You know the drill.

On topic, the bars will, or should, give a bit of help in keeping the bike a bit higher off the ground. Or they may provide a first 'step' in the lifting process; say, going from completely over, to resting on the bars.

·
Registered
2020 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
215 Posts
I'm also wondering why bother with tank protection as I'll likely won't be going off road and my drops are likely to be in the garage/on the road. Glad I paid for the factory engine protector bars though!
Tank protection when not doing off-road is worthless....it's just added weight. If you go down on the street there's going to be damage to more than just the tank.

Considering the horror stories of collateral damage the tank protection bars are causing....I've decided to go without (and I'm doing mostly off-road).

Broken engine cases
Shattered beak assemblies
Dented tanks and cracked plastic panels due to bars crushing into the bike
Broken mounting bolts (even without drop or impact)
Significant weight adds.

·
Registered
2020 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
215 Posts
To add more fun to the discussion...

This from another board. The stock/OEM RP lower engine guard caused a total write off of the bike. I'm going to maintain that crash bars provide a false sense of security....

Quoted the jist of what happened here: "So my bike was written off and I was paid out after it slipped at approx 40-50km/h onto the RHS on a slippery bit of dirt road and the RHS engine protection bar (not the bar, the flat metal bit that bolts to the case), bent inwards and its corner pierced the corner of the engine block. By the time I got back home, my boot was covered in engine oil and it was a write-off. Not how I envisaged the OEM (bars come std with RallyPro) to protect the bike. There was very little other damage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
To add more fun to the discussion...

This from another board. The stock/OEM RP lower engine guard caused a total write off of the bike. I'm going to maintain that crash bars provide a false sense of security....

Quoted the jist of what happened here: "So my bike was written off and I was paid out after it slipped at approx 40-50km/h onto the RHS on a slippery bit of dirt road and the RHS engine protection bar (not the bar, the flat metal bit that bolts to the case), bent inwards and its corner pierced the corner of the engine block. By the time I got back home, my boot was covered in engine oil and it was a write-off. Not how I envisaged the OEM (bars come std with RallyPro) to protect the bike. There was very little other damage.

...and I "was" happy just going around with my "simple" riding style with just the lowers + Barkbusters.
...mounted Baja Design S2's to the lowers.
...was avoiding any of the offerings of uppers.
...achihuahua...!!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I am looking for a center stand for my Tiger 900 Rally. Which one are you using and have you been happy with it?
I went with the Triumph center stand, just because it was available. I'm not entirely pleased with it. The deployment foot is too close to the underside of the passenger footpeg. So it's a hassle to start to push the center stand down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, I've been keenly following this thread with respect to crash bar options, so thanks to everyone who has posted. One question I can't find an answer to is whether the SW Motech bars and skid plate will fit the Tiger 850 Sport. Logic suggests they will given the engine/chassis is all identical to the 900 GT, but having contacted SW Motech (who responded to my email within 12 hours) they can't confirm this having not yet tested the 850.

Anyone able to confirm or deny compatibility?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Installation - was really easy. I was able to remove the OEM lower tank guard and add the SW bars in about 1 hour.
Hi, am thinking of installing the Motech guard to replace the triumph and reading the install instructions. May I know what you torque the screw number 10 & 2 to? The instructions says OEM but not sure what that is.
Thanks.

101 - 120 of 295 Posts