Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
281 - 300 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Are you running the lower OM bars on this? Im thinking staying away from the upper bars is a good idea and from the pics it seems this provides what is needed for some light falls. I just bought a 850 sport and will be 99% road riding but i want a skid plate and some sort of protection for a random soft fall. Im thinking of having the dealer install them as well so it takes the heat off me.
Yes. The setup seems to be sufficient for most falls, but some off-road terrain could be different.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
229 Posts
Cross-boarding pics again from another thread on ADVrider.

Get those upper crash bars that attach to the beak off your bike. Cracked beak subframe and cracked mount on the bike frame.

Gas Machine Plumbing Metal Engineering
Automotive tire Grey Tints and shades Composite material Rectangle
Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Auto part

·
Registered
2013 Bonneville; 2022 Tiger 900 Rally Pro
5 Posts
Agree. The lowers are good, and I too was looking at SW Motech. It appears they might fit with the OM lower bars, and if so, I would look more carefully at them. It is hard to know how much protection is necessary, or reasonably useful, or wise. Those of us who's off pavement skills are modest are perhaps more likely to fall over when the seasoned riders would power through it. So, different fall scenario possibly?
The SW Motechs do not fit with the OM lowers -- they replace them but go up higher. I dropped my bike a few times in class this past weekend and the SWs did the job!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks @Marnie for this info. Do you have OEM lower bars, or nothing 'down there' at all? If nothing else, is your sense that the SW bars alone are giving good coverage?

·
Registered
203 Posts
OK, upper bars coming off when I go for my annual at the dealer. Lower bars stay, upper bars off, and I'll trust the dealer to do the torque settings correctly.

I also hope the affected person posts here to share their unfortunate experience.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
All this talk of bolt failures has made me paranoid. I have the Hepco & Becker originals. No idea what I torqued them too, as I used a Allen key and a ring spanner as a lever. Just checked and mine are fine at about 16K Kms. Maybe some have been over torqued or just a bad batch of bolts.
Plant Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle
in

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im thinking like @flyingburritobrother says to maybe leave crash bars off mine being that its a road princess but I’d like a skid plate for the roads around my area being chip and seal and sometimes gravel and i don’t want a pesky stone hitting that filter or exhaust any recommendations on one that doesn’t require the lower crash bars?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im thinking like @flyingburritobrother says to maybe leave crash bars off mine being that its a road princess but I’d like a skid plate for the roads around my area being chip and seal and sometimes gravel and i don’t want a pesky stone hitting that filter or exhaust any recommendations on one that doesn’t require the lower crash bars?
Correct me if I am wrong, but I have not read any issues with the stock lower bars. It has been the upper bars that are causing the problems. I would leave the lowers on, they do work(ish).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but I have not read any issues with the stock lower bars. It has been the upper bars that are causing the problems. I would leave the lowers on, they do work(ish).
THere was one guy (Blak_duc) on ADV rider. He went down in a light crash, the factory lower crash bar punched a hole in his engine case. That had to be a freak thing though.

Personally, I would not remove the factory lower engine crash bar.

The real horror stories are the upper tank crash bars.

·
Registered
229 Posts
All this talk of bolt failures has made me paranoid. I have the Hepco & Becker originals. No idea what I torqued them too, as I used a Allen key and a ring spanner as a lever. Just checked and mine are fine at about 16K Kms. Maybe some have been over torqued or just a bad batch of bolts.
in
In my case the bolt was analyzed and was found to NOT be overtightened....nor was the bolt faulty.

BTW....those crash bars you're using anchor to the beak.....that's not a good thing. A number of cases of broken beaks and frame cracks in a drop. All that weight of the bike hitting the ground putting all that pressure on a feature not designed for it.

IN addition to the beak damage pics shared in post #283 above....here is another one.

Bicycle part Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Composite material

·
Registered
25 Posts
A week ago I had a nasty accident as I hit a small deer that literally jumped under my front tire out of nowhere. I failed, and the bike slid 10 m.
The frame and some other parts will have to be replaced. This made me think to remove also my OM crahsbars after reading all the horror stories here and at ADVRider
(By the way the OM crashbars did their job by minimizing the damages to the right side of my bike. The damage to the frame came from the frontal impact).

Is there a consensus which crashbars are relatively safe when it comes to its impact on the frame? OM lowers only, SW moto?

PS. Nothing serious happened to me :) - only a few bruises on my right hip - a proper clothing/protectors helped A LOT

·
Registered
Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
44 Posts
Good to hear no personal damage. OM seems like the best design in exception of the upper mount point. I kept the lowers on as well. If SW fit with the OM lowers, I think that would be pretty good.
I'll know what I'm going to do as soon as I hear the review for the Akurat bars.

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro
1 Posts
Hello
New Tiger 900 GT Pro owner here. Has anyone got any experience with the Givi crash bars?
I got those, they do look fairly strong, but I'm wondering whether someone had any bad experience with them (or good)?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well, the deed is done: surgical extraction of Outback Motortek upper crash bars accomplished. No loss of blood or sanity. I used the OEM engine mounting bolts (#45 torx) and they went in easily. I supported the engine with a scissor jack, just to be confident of no engine movement. Pics here of bars in the hand and not on the bike, and the result. Little blue nubbins courtesy of some fellow named Ali.

Its funny that I feel a bit uncertain about not having the upper bars, even though I am certain that it is the wisest thing to do, at least on this bike. But hey, instant weight reduction of 3 lbs or so.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle

Reactions: nateonator

·
Registered
229 Posts
Glad to hear you pulled them. Just too high a risk to have them on. I've dropped my bike a number of times without the upper bars. No major damage, just a few chips in the plastic radiator wings... and some scraching on the tank due to hard drop a week after I removed the upper bars. In hindsight, I can almost guarantee, the beak sub-frame would have shattered in that hard drop if the Hackjob/Breaker bars were still installed.

281 - 300 of 319 Posts