Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have any Tiger 900 owners dropped the bike with the factory engine protector installed but absent any tank protectors?
As in, just a stock Rally Pro been dropped?

I am curious to know if the tank touches the ground on drops. And if not, then what the value of a system like Outback Motortek really provides.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Have any Tiger 900 owners dropped the bike with the factory engine protector installed but absent any tank protectors?

I am curious to know if the tank touches the ground on drops. And if not, then what the value of a system like Outback Motortek really provides.
I dropped my GT pro in the garage with factory engine bars alone. The tank did not touch the ground, the bar ends did. Hope that helps

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro Svartpilen 401
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I dropped my GT pro in the garage with factory engine bars alone. The tank did not touch the ground, the bar ends did. Hope that helps
The difference between dropping a bike in a garage or in the dirt can be considerable. A garage drop is generally without any forward speed and sometimes can feel it's in slow motion if we lose balance of the bike, and the bars are often straight. In the dirt it can be onto a flat road or among gullies and rocks. The bars will normally turn to one side, exposing the tank. Falling onto rocky terrain makes damage more likely.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I purchased Outback bars for my bike mostly because of the demonstrated protection videos. I have had OEM bars on another bike fold in on a drop and was looking for a more robust option. I have not dropped this bike YET, but am hoping these will do the job needed.
Please post some pictures of the bike. Would love to see how the setup looks.

Do the bars interfere with the shift or brake lever at all?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Please post some pictures of the bike. Would love to see how the setup looks.

Do the bars interfere with the shift or brake lever at all?

I haven't encountered any clearance issues so far. 400+ miles of street riding this weekend. First time with the whole thing mounted

·
Registered
905 Posts
Brake side. Didn't get a direct down shot, the motor is in the way, but there's an inch plus of clearance there. I've got the skid plate off because I'm going to take the bike for it's first service. Figured I'd do that much for them, at least.

·
Registered
2020 Tiger 900 Rally Pro
17 Posts

I’ve dropped my Rally Pro twice now. Once at very slow speed(under 5kph) and once a bit faster (under 15kph). Neither drop damaged the tank but both drops broke the piece of crap hand guards that come stock on the RP. The faster crash also broke the end of my brake lever off at the built in weak spot. I’ve got Bark Busters coming. I will also be installing upper crash bars and replacing the fog lights with Denali’s

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was just able to score Outback Motortek crash bars for my 2021 900 gt. They have been hard to find in stock. I purchased them from the West Coas t distributor. The bars look to be super strong and protective. I hope they are not difficult to install.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I dont know if super strong crash bars are a good thing. You would want the bar to flex/ buckle and absorb the energy of the crash rather than be strong and transmit the energy to the bike itself and damage it. Rather like the crumple zone in a car protecting the driver.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dawsonstaffs,
I don't disagree. There must be a balance between strength and the ability to absorb the energy from a drop. I do not ride offroad, except for hard packed and groomed dirt roads in Vermont. I liked the R+D testing performed by the company, and the fact that these bars protect the lower engine and upper plastic. I always hope never to need or use these crash bars, and that they are there for insurance.

1 - 20 of 295 Posts