Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why did Triumph have to go to a Tiger 900? Why couldn't they have just made the 800 Tiger lighter still (instead of dropping just 20 lbs, drop 35-40 lbs.) and then make all the other upgrades!! My 2018 Tiger 800XCa has PLENTY of power (I easily beat a hopped up Infinity off the line the other day by a car length by the time I was at 70mph). I bet if they tried, they probably could have tuned it even more for torque with a small hit in peak HP and that wouldn't hurt it a bit, but honestly, I think it has plenty already.

They missed the boat, however, with my 2018, in not making 6th gear an OVERDRIVE for highway cruising (like anyone EVER needs a lower geared 6th gear for Off-Road) - 5.5K RPM at 75 mph is just TOO high on a long trip. I modified mine down 300 RPM by adding a tooth to the front sprocket (now at 17 teeth), so my RPM at 75 mph are now only 5.2K - but they should be closer to 4.7K or even 4.5K, and I really did not want to increase my first gear speed by 6% to make that happen. Hey if you need power to pass, bang a downshift and get it over with, you don't need a 900 CC motor to make that happen.

But why go bigger to the 900??? Actually, I know why - they are chasing the competition and trying to beat BOTH the Africa Twin AND the BMW 850 GS. But for Off-Road, lighter is better. So, If you want an very light Adventure bike, 800 is ALWAY going to be better, if you want a Dual Sport (more street oriented), OK, 900 is better, so if you want to beat BOTH those bikes, then make a super-light 800 Adventure Bike, and a powerful 900 Dual sport, and don't try to be everything to everybody, which with Motorcycles, is a fools errand.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I can agree with you regarding weight being "Enemy #1" when it comes to all things offroading. I also have relegated the 800 to "light duty offroading." Hitting triples with a 500lb bike isn't my idea of fun. It's risky enough on a 320lb bike!

We've complained to Triumph regarding the gear ratios chosen for the Tiger XC's since year 2011. First is good for 50ish... Sixth is good for 130ish....
I've looked for a 7th gear for 9 years now, for the reasons you state. (Reduced RPM when cruising.) Stuck turning 6000-7000 just to keep from getting run over is silly. Wastes fuel and wears out engine parts...unnecessarily.

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro
53 Posts
I believe you are seeing a lot of manufacturers do this, there are new emmisions regulations in Europe that sap power so manufacturers are increasing engine size to meet them and keep the amount of power that they currently have. The output of the new 900 isn't substantially higher than the 800, but it meets new emission standards.

·
Registered
111 Posts
They say that the 900 is lighter and more powerful than the 800 though. And better geometry for off road riding.

Pretty much everyone that has ridden both off pavement has said the 900 is an all around improvement in that department.

That said, the 900 motor no longer feels like a triple anymore and I think that's the biggest disappointment to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They say that the 900 is lighter and more powerful than the 800 though. And better geometry for off road riding.
Pretty much everyone that has ridden both off pavement has said the 900 is an all around improvement
Sure, and I believe it. My question was 'why not make all the SAME improvements to the 800 and it would have been lighter still with more than enough power.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Then the logical alternative for a higher power Tiger would be a 1200 but for a lot more $$. The 900 has more peak torque than the 800 at lower rpm and about the same peak hp at lower rpm. I thought the 800 was a nice ride but pretty buzzy at high rpm. I sat on a 1200 at the dealer but that model was too high and I just blew it off. The salesman could have told me about the 1200 XRx low which would have fit me but he didn’t and I’m now riding a BMW R1250R.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why did Triumph have to go to a Tiger 900? Why couldn't they have just made the 800 Tiger lighter still (instead of dropping just 20 lbs, drop 35-40 lbs.) and then make all the other upgrades!! My 2018 Tiger 800XCa has PLENTY of power (I easily beat a hopped up Infinity off the line the other day by a car length by the time I was at 70mph). I bet if they tried, they probably could have tuned it even more for torque with a small hit in peak HP and that wouldn't hurt it a bit, but honestly, I think it has plenty already.

They missed the boat, however, with my 2018, in not making 6th gear an OVERDRIVE for highway cruising (like anyone EVER needs a lower geared 6th gear for Off-Road) - 5.5K RPM at 75 mph is just TOO high on a long trip. I modified mine down 300 RPM by adding a tooth to the front sprocket (now at 17 teeth), so my RPM at 75 mph are now only 5.2K - but they should be closer to 4.7K or even 4.5K, and I really did not want to increase my first gear speed by 6% to make that happen. Hey if you need power to pass, bang a downshift and get it over with, you don't need a 900 CC motor to make that happen.

But why go bigger to the 900??? Actually, I know why - they are chasing the competition and trying to beat BOTH the Africa Twin AND the BMW 850 GS. But for Off-Road, lighter is better. So, If you want an very light Adventure bike, 800 is ALWAY going to be better, if you want a Dual Sport (more street oriented), OK, 900 is better, so if you want to beat BOTH those bikes, then make a super-light 800 Adventure Bike, and a powerful 900 Dual sport, and don't try to be everything to everybody, which with Motorcycles, is a fools errand.

Sorry, with no disrespect for the ladies in this forum...it's a man thing to think that bigger is always better...

·
Registered
118 Posts
The 900 allows to keep the same power as the outgoing 800 while complying with new emissions.
Also you have to remember as with most bike purchases these are luxury purchases , a toy in other words , marketing has to perceive that this years model is an improvement from last year , just look at the constant changes to the 1200/1250gs.
Forum consumer groups will have looked at this , whoever they are? , I’ve never been asked for my opinion but I’m not their target as always buying 2nd hand and doing my own servicing . I’ve got no desire for semi active suspension ,c/c , Tfts’s , tpms, etc which when fail when older costing an arm and a leg( which is why I’m leaning towards a tenere 700 as a future replacement) .They are targeting someone who buys the latest shiny thing every 2/3 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1975 T160 Trident
248 Posts
Don't forget that these great bikes are designed by Engineers, and as a recently retired one, it's common knowledge that Engineers can't leave things alone. We are always futzing and fiddling with things... even if they work just fine.

I thought my '18 XRX was just 'perfect' when I purchased it. From previously owning a Street Cup, Street Twin and Trident. But then... I've added/changed risers, pegs, running lights, seat, windscreen, crash bars, luggage rack, panniers, grips, levers, tires... you get the idea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am not an engineer but I can tell you I never leave a new bike alone without adding lots of items! On my Tiger 800 XRX it needed immediate attention to the seat( went to Sargent), footpegs( Aussie Pivot Pegz) and tires (705 Shinkos)...And the Showa suspension was basically 2 pogosticks....that had to go.Nothing stays OEM with me for long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts