Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I once was the proud owner of a 2014 Triumph Tiger. Sold due to seat height and excessive heat at stops. I am back in the market for a low version and prefer to buy a used bike. It was the best handling Triumph I've owned. I have this info if true.

First Generation 2010-2014
Second 2015-2017
Third 2018-onward

I am looking for the low bike, cruise control, and luggage. Which generation should I be looking at?

How does the new 900 model compare to the Gen3 Tigers?

Thanks for any info/recommendations Mike

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I had a gen 2 800 and now a 900. The 900 has all the good points of the 800 but somehow is even better all round and with a lot of new stuff. Better brakes, better suspension, better instruments, better features, better engine, better looking..... The changes to the engine need to be experienced to fully appreciate just how good it now is. All the niggly things with the 800 have been addressed, foot pegs are removable, subframe can be bolted off and even the spoked wheels are now tubeless. The handling is at least as good as the gen 2/3 800 and the ride is even better. I used to say the 800 was the best bike ever made. Now it’s 3rd, with daylight second.
If you did go with an 800, you’d still an incredibly good machine. Gen 3 was a significant improvement over gen 2 (which was a quantum leap forward from gen 1) with lower first gear, the TFT dash, cruise control and mode button moved to the left, backlit switches, finally a windscreen that didn't sent you deaf and more.

·
Super Moderator
2,893 Posts
Depends on what you want to spend really. If you're looking for cruise control, you need a 15 and newer model. You can get low models starting with the Gen 2 models.

·
Super Moderator
2,893 Posts
The cruise was the main reason I went from my old 11 Roadie to my current 15 XCx. Keep in mind that you can slightly lower the standard height versions with lowering links.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I am spoiled with cruise on my T120 now so 2015 or newer. Money is always a thing, but with only a few years to retirement age (which is sad, enjoy your youth!) I may spend the big bucks. I'm also looking at the BMW R1200RT's but they are huge.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I used to have a 15 XCx and now a 17 XRt. Sold XCx for the same reason - too high. Love my roadie. Handles better and turns faster. No problems on bumpy roads. Haven't tried 900 yet but I ll prolly wait. No plans to depart with my current XRt yet. But who knows. All depends on a lottery I m gonna win tomorrow. )

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Is the new 900 better for 2 up than the gen 3 or the same?
I doubt there’s much noticeable difference in dynamic comfort. Personally I think my 900 Rally Pro suspension is superior and more comfortable than on my 800 XCX, but probably not by a lot. However, given the electronic adjustment on the GT Pro, that model at least is going to be far easier to set up for a passenger and/or luggage so if nothing else that makes it a better 2 up proposition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts