Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new bike about a week ago. Last night while doing a bit of dirt road riding, I stopped to get a drink and chill out since it was quite warm. I went to start the bike and the red light stayed on and a notice came up saying something about the immobilizer. I turned the key off and on a few times with the same result. I then removed the key and put it back in and she fired right off.

When I got home I searched and on old thread from here come up via google. I read that and also the link to a thread over at adventure rider. Seemed like isolated cases and it made mention of the second key not being close by. My owners manual makes no mention of keeping the second key away. I have my spare key in my tank bag, which is pretty close. I wonder why it would work most of the time and not trip all the time if the second key is close. I can hold the two keys together and it starts right up.

I guess I was hoping this was a freak occurrence, but i'm not feeling too good about that. The dealer has never heard of this happening before. Tonight it happened again. I took the second key out of the tank bag and put it far away from the bike and a few attempts of turning off and on, had the same results, wouldn't start. I removed the key and put it back in and it started right up.

The worst part about this is I am leaving Tuesday for a week and half long trip and not feeling real confident that she wont leave me sit. I have removed the spare key from the equation and will see if it still does it.

The dealer said he would contact Triumph and see if they had any info, but I figured I'd check here too.

Thanks, Mike

·
Super Moderator
2,865 Posts
Sometimes when the ignition cooks in the sun it can cause problems too, try covering it maybe? I'd say there's definitely a problem but that may get you by for a while.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I am gonna take a guess and say it is the 2nd key. The 2nd time it did it it, you say you removed the 2nd key away but the “fault” had already happened with a key already insterted, that you had to remove and re-insert. Anyway, one way only to find out, keep the 2nd key at home, and let us know.

·
Registered
452 Posts
On a related subject. this is what I posted on the Bobber Forum:

"I'm posting this tale as it might help someone else in the future:
Yesterday I was planning on a day ride on the Bobber. Pulled her out of the garage after checking tire pressure, started the starting sequence, turn key to "on", light and instrument lights up, depress clutch lever, press start button, nothing happens except all lights go off in a nano second. Tried again, nothing, she's dead. Decided to defer looking into the issue and returned her to the garage. Pulled out my Tiger 800, which started like a clock and off I went, nice 90 F degree day.
In the Evening I started to check the fuses, all good. Took the battery out of it's "cave", big pain in the butt. Got 12.8 volts, not bad. Connected a trickle charger/ optimate after 2 minutes went to green and measured 13.4 volts. Checked with a load tester, it read 12.8. Decided to sleep on this issue.
After some pondering prior to falling asleep I had an idea, re-connected battery, this is the part that might be helpful. Try the spare key. She fired right up. I called the dealer and was told that it's not unusual for the key to loose the code from it's memory. Hooray for electronics."

Chico

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealer

The dealer is Hermy's in Port Clinton, Pa. They are great people and they are doing what they can and I feel they are truly concerned.

My salesman called me yesterday and asked if I could bring the bike in. I was running late and was only going to make it down about 30 minutes before they close. He said the service guys are usually wrapping up by then but bring it in. They hooked it up and the fault code was un-able to read the key. His first question, where do I have the second key? I told him the story and that it was currently at home. He said it was most likely the proximity of the spare key or a bad key.

I will keep the spare key in the tailbag and hope that's far enough away. If it does it again I will switch keys and see what happens. We have a plan to try and isolate the problem.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
297 Posts
It's almost certainly the second key. When the immobilizer energizes to read the key code, one key may respond quicker than the other key. As long as the handshake is done by the time the second key starts transmitting, everything is fine. If the two keys both transmit at the same time but out of sequence, the immobilizer will get a scrambled code back as it is getting combined data from both keys.

To prevent your spare key from transmitting, you might try putting it in a plastic bag to insulate it, then keep the key in its bag in a small metal box. I don't yet have a spare key to try it myself; it takes weeks to get them from Triumph so don't loose a key.

The key codes are stored in the ECU. If a key stops working, it could be the chip in the key got damaged (very unlikely) or the memory location in the ECU got corrupted. It's my understanding they can't just add a key to a bike; they have to take out all the old codes then add in the codes for all keys that will be used on the bike.

I wish they would abandon the immobilizers for US bikes. I know Triumphs get stolen a lot in the UK, but Harleys seem to be more common victims of theft over here. It adds an unnecessary level of pain and cost for us.

-Ed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just in case I lose my key, don’t want to be a 1000 miles from home without a key. I always carry a spare key on all my bikes. I’ve never needed it but it’s nice to know it’s there.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just in case I lose my key, don’t want to be a 1000 miles from home without a key. I always carry a spare key on all my bikes. I’ve never needed it but it’s nice to know it’s there.
That is smart. I as at a rally once with a guy who dropped his key walking back from a bar. Somebody eventually found it and got it back to him, but not before he had the bike towed home.

-Ed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is smart. I as at a rally once with a guy who dropped his key walking back from a bar. Somebody eventually found it and got it back to him, but not before he had the bike towed home.

-Ed
Exactly!

I put the spare key in my tailbag and wrapped in in aluminum foil, thinking that may stop and stray signals from escaping. Seemed like a good idea :wink2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picked up my new bike about a week ago. Last night while doing a bit of dirt road riding, I stopped to get a drink and chill out since it was quite warm. I went to start the bike and the red light stayed on and a notice came up saying something about the immobilizer. I turned the key off and on a few times with the same result. I then removed the key and put it back in and she fired right off.

When I got home I searched and on old thread from here come up via google. I read that and also the link to a thread over at adventure rider. Seemed like isolated cases and it made mention of the second key not being close by. My owners manual makes no mention of keeping the second key away. I have my spare key in my tank bag, which is pretty close. I wonder why it would work most of the time and not trip all the time if the second key is close. I can hold the two keys together and it starts right up.

I guess I was hoping this was a freak occurrence, but i'm not feeling too good about that. The dealer has never heard of this happening before. Tonight it happened again. I took the second key out of the tank bag and put it far away from the bike and a few attempts of turning off and on, had the same results, wouldn't start. I removed the key and put it back in and it started right up.

The worst part about this is I am leaving Tuesday for a week and half long trip and not feeling real confident that she wont leave me sit. I have removed the spare key from the equation and will see if it still does it.

The dealer said he would contact Triumph and see if they had any info, but I figured I'd check here too.

Thanks, Mike
My 2019 is doing the exact same thing a week after I got it. The dealership could not replicate the fault and I too am concerned getting stuck out in the middle of nowhere. Have you had the issue resolved?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2019 is doing the exact same thing a week after I got it. The dealership could not replicate the fault and I too am concerned getting stuck out in the middle of nowhere. Have you had the issue resolved?
My 2019 Bonneville T100 did the immobilizer thing also. Spare key was in the house, no where near the bike. Good battery, double checked neutral, clutch in and kickstand up and she wouldn't crank. Then I noticed the immobilizer light and whipped out the manual. It's only supposed to be on, blinking once a minute, when you turn the bike off and remove the key. If it's on solid with the key in there is a problem with the immobilizer. I tried the spare key that was in the house and same thing. Ten minutes later it started but then did the same thing again an hour later. Long story short - off to the dealer. They got it to repeat the problem the next day (of course it didn't do it when they first got it). The result under warranty was a new ignition switch, a module, two new keys and a new seat lock (because new keys). All under warranty but it was $800 worth of parts. Hopefully this never happens out of warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts