Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 videos showing a problem with my 2012 tiger 800XC that wont start it when engine is hot. The engine has a hard time turning over or that is how it sounds. I dont have the money to fix it in the shop as hey always seem to charge $1000.

The 1st shows how the tiger after about 1 hour of perfectly normal riding struggles to turn over the engine. At least that is how it sounds to me.

The 2nd shows the Tiger starting after 20 - 30 minutes cool down.

Ive got a new battery and problem still remains. Does anyone know what i should try to debug this? I have read about possible causes.

1. Sprag Clutch .. However i would expect the starter it not to struggle to a halt. I would expect the starter to keep turning and hearing some slipping noise as the sprag slips.
2. Bad battery. However this is a new battery.
3. Starter Motor .. One guy replied to my youtube post to say starter motor and he was on his 3rd starter motor.
4. Stepper motor for fuel mixture lever. This can get dirty from time to time and cause some starting problems.

Regards
pete

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
Google it, there's loads with similar problem, some get cured, some don't.

Google this: triumph won't start when hot

·
Premium Member
7,253 Posts
I encounter this issue occasionally when my engine is hot... the engine will barely crank over and not enough to start. What I have discovered is, turning off the ignition and waiting for the stepper motor to shut down. You know the sound... sounds like a fax machine. After that, I can then start my Tiger normally.

Don't know if this is the issue you are having or if this will allow you to start your Tiger when it's hot, but it works for me.

Bob

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would pull the starter and take it apart and clean all the carbon off. Have you put a dc amp meter to see how many apps its pulling.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys

I will tackle this tomorrow and just clean the starter motor as Tiny Tiger suggested if the brushes look ok. I still don't clearly understand why heat would cause it to exhibit weak start but let it cool it will start. Heat does make resistance rise in materials so perhaps it's that simple.

I ordered parts here which sell in qty of 10 for $13 plus shipping. https://www.finditparts.com/products/3722167/denso-028530-5312 Other than that site I could not find another source in USA. Pretty sad, don't you think?

Pete

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
Strange this happens with a small minority of our bikes. These same Denso starters used on other makes?

·
Banned
1,585 Posts

That sounds quite logical but why are only a minority of bikes affected? The two guys in Auzz who spent 2 years trying to resolve it & gave up, a mechanic & son. It's on the Tiger1050 forum all 70'ish pages of it documented with everything tried including Triumphs updated starter kit at 1200$ IIRC.

Knock on yed, some have never had it in 20'odd years of trumpets.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well its isn't magic that is causing a reduction in his voltage when the bike is hot.
Other things could be causing this issue, but I would start at the most logical spot and go from there.
Could also be a bad ground, corrosion, or anything else that increases resistance

If it happened to all bikes it would be a recall. Its not really that strange that only some bike exhibit different issues.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had a issue with the starter motor on my speed triple. Pulled the starter out cleaned all the built up carbon off with Emery cloth and blew out, assembled it and the thing spun over like it was on crack. Later I did find out the the battery was weak and would start to drop below 10vdc. Replaced with a lithium battery and never had any issue from then on. Not quite the same but at least it's a starting point. Please keep us informed and if anything new happens

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks Team circus for the hot soak explanation.

Ok as for the starter motor; I got it out (not an easy job and will post a guide when i get time), but I can see two brushes really worn and two brushes about 70% worn. One interesting thing and this could explain the hot vs cold phenomenon, is that the 2 brushes that are well worn down have also have some of the wire frayed from the core rubbing against them. About half of the wire is worn away!

That reduced gauge and extra heat may explain why replacing these things reverse the symptoms. I just have to wait for mine to arrive. Trying to attach a pic of it.

P.S nothing i try do will upload the picture. Ive resized it to 800 pix and tried a jpg and gif. This forum is pretty frustrating to use. Anyway ill find some way to update the thread with pics.

Signing off until the rebuild.
Pete

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
Sounds like you found a fault so hopefully an easy fix.

Take a look at link below to see the work these two boys put in to try & fix their hot start issue. Must have been magic, Ha. All 66 pages of what they did to try & resolve it. Dealers & Triumph at a loss to the cause.

I met 2 boys at the Ullapool Trifest with same problem on new'ish Tiger Sports.

A long read:
https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,34436.0.html

·
Super Moderator
2,865 Posts
The starter on these are a known problem so it won't be a mystery in this case. Maybe they source parts from different vendors or assemble them at different plants, who knows why some fail and some don't.

PS, this site has been having picture upload problems lately.

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
A new or re-con starter has been the cure in some cases. It does seem to be a problem on all models, the 1050's suffer as much as others with their weak batteries. The Tiger800 has a much stronger oem battery.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I guess that I've had this symptom a couple of times; I dumb-clutched it at a stop waiting to turn left. Of course I was at the front of the line, hit the starter button and it barely turned over. In fact, the starter stopped after a revolution or two. Hit the button again and it had just enough to start it.

The last time it was when the battery was about 2 years old. I replaced it and haven't had the symptom since. But this thread has raised my awareness in case it ever happens again.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts