Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Tiger a few weeks ago, I already had a Givi 36l top case from my previous bikes. So I planned to use that on the Tiger. So I added a Givi topcase rack for the Tiger (big job!)

However, I had no side cases, and wanted to keep the prices down as much as practical. I decided the Givi side case rack and Seahorse 720 cases from Cariboucases.com was a good choice. That turned out to be an excellent solution.

The Givi top case rack was a royal PITA to install. However, I could probably do another one in 1/3rd the time now that I have figured out how to do it. If anyone is thinking about installing one, drop me a line. Cost was about $125; I've already forgotten where I ordered the rack.

Installation of the Givi side case rack (about $210), OTOH, could not have been more simple. And mounting of the Seahorse cases on the rack was very simple also. The cases from CaribouCases.com cost about $250 a pair, which is a very moderate cost for what I got. These cases have locks and other nice features installed by Caribou Cases.

A general thought on installation of Givi products: They do not like to provide directions. There installation/mounting instructions are basically a photo or two. They do suggest loosely assembling the pieces before tightening anything - FOLLOW THAT! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Derek,
Did the side cases already come with the mounting hardware to connect to the GIVI side racks? Cases look great! Like the color :)

Tom

Sent from my AT100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Derek,
Did the side cases already come with the mounting hardware to connect to the GIVI side racks? Cases look great! Like the color :)

Tom

Yes, the Seahorse 720 cases from CaribouCases.com include all the mounting hardware to mount to the Givi rack, along with two hinge locks in each case, and lanyards that keep the cases from opening over about 80° (so contents don't fall out). They are a bargain for under $300 a pair. They are not huge cases, but big enough for the weight I need/want to carry.

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
Those are an interesting option. The 26 liter Seahorse based system is new from when I ordered mine.

I have the 36 liter system. Those are based on the Hepco-Becker side racks and use the Pelican Storm IM2600 cases. Those have worked well for me so far. I purchased the case liners for them, which seals up the sides when they are opened as well as the inner bags.

Sometimes I think about going to an even larger pannier, but the problem with that is, you have that size and width, even when there is little in them. Unless you want to swap them off and on the bike, which I don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
........I have the 36 liter system. Those are based on the Hepco-Becker side racks and use the Pelican Storm IM2600 cases. Those have worked well for me so far. I purchased the case liners for them, which seals up the sides when they are opened as well as the inner bags.

Sometimes I think about going to an even larger pannier, but the problem with that is, you have that size and width, even when there is little in them. Unless you want to swap them off and on the bike, which I don't.

You choose good cases, I had looked at them but decided I did not need ones larger than I got. I also have that Givi top case, and if needed I can carry a "pillion bag" behind me since I always ride solo. I have considered not using the top case and instead use the pillion bag as it would be better for balancing the weight; putting some weight over the rear tire. As it is I load the heavier items in the side cases, and the light stuff in the top case. Well, that's what I do on my Beemer.....today I'll take my first tour on the Tiger.....I have all of 600 miles on it, but will have about 1600 by Wednesday. <g>

Oh, I got some nice bag liners from Cruiser Customizing (I think). They were on special for $10 each! They fit the Seahorse 720s well, leaving a gap of about 4 inches at the top of the case, so I can stuff whatever there to keep it handy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts