Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to educate myself on the different generations of Tiger 800's.

Is there a site out there will info about the pros and cons of each major revision?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Easy enough, thanks. Were there issues with certain year models?

Are the 2018+ models considered to be the best of them?

·
Registered
910 Posts
As a general rule they just kept getting better. There are subtle changes year to year but the biggest leap was in 2015 and next one will be later this year. I’d certainly be looking 2015+ as the ride by wire, traction control, cruise control, modes etc were a great improvement, although the earlier ones were really good anyway.
I have a ‘16 model and the only thing I didn’t like about it was the screen, which was the same on all models through to 2018. Unbelievable amount of wind noise and buffetting. Even the larger touring screen is horrible. I ended up cutting mine in half and it’s a huge improvement . The screen on the newer models is just about as good as it gets. No noise, good ventilation, adjustable.
They also changed the gearing in ‘18, ie lower 1st, which doesn’t suit everyone but mostly seen as a good thing. Personally I’d also like a taller 6th (for the highway) but that’s me.
Read some reviews and you’ll see what a great bike it is, regardless of vintage. But as I said, they just keep getting better so buy the newest one you can afford.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I could go for a longer 6th too. Not sure I want a smaller first.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
910 Posts
I could go for a longer 6th too. Not sure I want a smaller first.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The advantage of a lower first for me would be I could go up a tooth on the front sprocket, keeping 1st low enough and giving longer legs all round.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Most people looking at Tigers want some off-road capability. For the record, the Tiger 1050 is a great road bike, but it’s not designed for off road and even with suspension upgrades you can’t make it do what it’s just not designed for. I have a 2012 1050 and I love it for what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts