Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ofcourse, radiator is not covered.
Normally engine operates up to 103 degrees C of coolant, when fan starts to blow, thats why so hot air could blow our knees. These deflectors are steering air outside bike, far away of knees.

Sent from post office

·
Registered
263 Posts
Some people have used to tuneecu to drop the fan temperature down to 100C from 103C. It’s going to end up running more often, and maybe the fact that it’s more consistent its less noticed versus kicking on and kicking off.

I did a motorcycle skills training course on the Tiger and it was a long day of low speed maneuvers… got quite toasty doing that. However, previous bike was the Scrambler and that, with the right side high exhaust, was even worse than the Tiger. In traffic, blistering hot with the cat 2” from the leg.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Its not a solution. Blowing 103C or 100C - no difference. Hot air should be redirect far away from legs.
We have over 30C now in Poland, deflectors works! There is no difference if fan is blowing or not, the same feeling of heat. The main difference is, that now I can use shorts with knee protectors... before modification it wont be possible!.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi i did some deflectors, which are hidden, and it works!. I'm waiting for better weather to test it.
Done from plastic bucket from a DIY store.
View attachment 753681 View attachment 753676 View attachment 753677 View attachment 753678 View attachment 753679 View attachment 753680 View attachment 753681
I was just setting up to take measurements and try to fabricate deflectors out of plastic jugs and/or aluminum flashing.
Printing out your pics now
I’ll follow up

·
Premium Member
7,459 Posts
The main difference is, that now I can use shorts with knee protectors... before modification it wont be possible!.
I am an advocate of AGATT and that also goes for a pillion rider on the rare occasion I might have one. If you would please, help me understand why you would ride a motorcycle wearing shorts?

Bob

·
Registered
28 Posts
U see only that u want to see...
Jeans shorts with protectors, biker shoes, jacket, glows, helmet, am i missing something?

Sent from post office

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was just setting up to take measurements and try to fabricate deflectors out of plastic jugs and/or aluminum flashing.
Printing out your pics now
I’ll follow up
Plastc is much easier to form, just fit and cut to proper size, the shape does not have to be perfect, mounting the cover will make the deflector bend and fit into place

Sent from post office

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Shorts?
On a bike?

I'm going to presume there's a misunderstanding due to languages...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Or maybe life is not about judging others?
Or is it just a point of view? Is it so bad to ride in the city in shorts with PROTECTORS in a warm climate?
I have fallen many times in my life with different sets of protectors and I know what is good enough for the city, to be not overheated and safe.
If someone likes to ride in full leather in the city - it's not for me to judge, it's his choice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Plastc is much easier to form, just fit and cut to proper size, the shape does not have to be perfect, mounting the cover will make the deflector bend and fit into place

Sent from post office
I was looking over your pics, printed out, and am having difficulty in seeing the fitment. It looks like you’ve got deflectors in front of the engine block/head???
Can you retake the pics with more lighting? Maybe crisper?
Preciate you!
G

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was looking over your pics, printed out, and am having difficulty in seeing the fitment. It looks like you’ve got deflectors in front of the engine block/head???
Can you retake the pics with more lighting? Maybe crisper?
Preciate you!
G
Both deflectors are in front of the cylinder, attached to the motorcycle frame with cable ties. The left side is easier to attach, the right side is pressed against the cover and bends accordingly. I am attaching photos again,unfortunately I do not have better ones.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So basically, it seems to me that, you’re deflecting the radiator “exhaust” before it’s directed at your knees. Yeah, that sounds good.
Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm going to try a different route. I'll fashion some louvers to bring in more fresh air from outside the body panels, to cool/dilute the hot air. Baker wings of a sort. I'll take build pics and post my results

·
Registered
28 Posts
It could work, but only during ride, what with slow riding or standing in traffic..?

Sent from post office

·
Registered
62 Posts
at a stand still, obviously no benefit. I cant think of a time when I have ever stood still, other than at traffic lights.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Fabbed out of corrugated plastic. We'll see how it works during tomorrow's commute.
Rough proof of concept only, end product will change a bit I'm sure. I know already one dimension to lengthen. I'm thinking kydex for final if these work.
a.jpg b.jpg

21 - 40 of 42 Posts