Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,459 Posts
What exactly are you trying to fix... :dunno

If you are having an issue with the engine heat on your lower extremities like many have mentioned previously over the years, there is no fix. The Tiger 800 triple produces heat not unlike other motorcycle engines that you are straddling. However, wearing proper riding gear will pretty much eliminate the issue... :nod

I have ridden in temperatures of up to 115 degrees F with proper riding gear and engine heat affecting my lower extremities was the least concerning issue... :rofl

Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
I heard wrapping the headers and mids will help a bit. Also, use full synthetic oil might help. The heat is noticeable, but doesnt bother me.

·
Registered
277 Posts
the only time I notice the heat is in town at slower speeds. I went thru Nebraska recently in 90+ temps and never noticed the heat till I got off the super slab. the answer is...............GO FASTER..LOL

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was checking to see if there is something to redirect the heat flow. I ride with protective jeans and feel the heat. When I ride with my Klim pants, I do not feel the heat. Otherwise, I LOVE the bike, performance is fantastic, it does all well!

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2013 Roadie is absolutely unbearable. Good gear, no gear, doesn't matter. I stop riding it in early June here in Texas and don't get it back out until October. I have done a lot of research; no fixes that I have found. It's ok in cooler weather if you are moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I agree and was hoping someone had come up with a fix or way to redirect the heat..
I ride with padded jeans or klim pants... better insulation but still my legs get hot

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm new here, and in fact to not own a Tiger yet, so take this info for whatever it's worth. I've been doing research on these bikes as I think it will be my next purchase.

A couple people are reporting that reversing the polarity on the radiator fan (getting it to blow the other direction) helps as it does not blow hot air onto your leg. Again, no experience with it, but it sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm new here, and in fact to not own a Tiger yet, so take this info for whatever it's worth. I've been doing research on these bikes as I think it will be my next purchase.

A couple people are reporting that reversing the polarity on the radiator fan (getting it to blow the other direction) helps as it does not blow hot air onto your leg. Again, no experience with it, but it sounds reasonable.
Don't think this is a good idea mainly because the fan is there to extract the heat from the radiator when the air flow isn't there, ie usually in slow moving traffic. Blowing would just keep the heat in the radiator and overwhelm the cooling system.

·
Registered
197 Posts

Don't think this is a good idea mainly because the fan is there to extract the heat from the radiator when the air flow isn't there, ie usually in slow moving traffic. Blowing would just keep the heat in the radiator and overwhelm the cooling system.
I can see their thought, but agree with KildareMan that it is not a good idea. They are thinking that if they are stopped there is no harm in blowing the air the opposite direction. The problem is that the fan can and does kick on when moving. Even in slow moving traffic you now have two opposite forces acting on the air moving across the radiator. One blowing and one sucking if you will. That action would negate the cooling effect. Additionally, I think it would be bad for the fan to have air pressure created from riding now working against what the fan is trying to do. Then you have the issue with the fan blades. They are curved in a certain direction to move air when rotated in a certain direction. Reversing the direction of the spinning blade would be horribly inefficient and wouldn't move much air, certainly not enough to help cool the radiator.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Would the side opposite the fan be considerred a high pressure zone, or low pressure zone , at speed?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Deflector/shields

Has anyone tried attaching deflector/shields to the crash bars to divert the heat to the side before, (some of), it reaches your legs? I thought I saw a post where someone tried it, there was a photo.

Mick

·
Registered
46 Posts
@jagrab3,
Interesting!

The heat on the right hand side annoys me but I just live with it at slow speeds.
I live where temperatures are high 30s Celsius with high humidity.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Does that affect the ability of the bike to cool though? I don't know I never that it was that bad.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts