Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Yesterday I had my yearly service interval with my 2019 Tiger XCa.
Over the past year I have driven 12000km (7500miles). I've been riding to/from work, long day trips, some off roading,... everything the bike was meant to be used for.
Never did I think it had a low performance. It accelerated nicely and even better when I really pulled the throttle (also thanks to the amazing quick shifter).

After the service, the mechanic came to me and asked if I had requested to have it's performance tuned down.
I thought this was a strange question and asked him why I would want to do such a thing (especially on this type of motorcycle). I mean, if I wanted to have something less powerfull, I would have bought something else.

Apparently, the software was configured to have it's power tuned down. :oops:

The mechanic quickly removed the limitation and boy is it a difference! I mean, the thing pulls like never before and now I understand why it is called a tiger.
I'm going back to the garage and ask for an explenation as why I have been riding a tuned down tiger for the past year.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Interesting, indeed. Is this bike set-up for "high altitude" operation? Or, set-up for crummy fuel quality?
Adventure riders being what we are, I could see that adjustment available.
Since your bike has be "de-neutered," have you noticed an increase in fuel use?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, indeed. Is this bike set-up for "high altitude" operation? Or, set-up for crummy fuel quality?
Adventure riders being what we are, I could see that adjustment available.
Since your bike has be "de-neutered," have you noticed an increase in fuel use?
I'm going back to the dealer next week, so I can ask for more details on what setting the bike was on. As I live (and mostly ride) on sea level, it would be strange to have this "high altitude" setting.
When I have more information, I'll come back to you.

Strangely, after the software adjustment, it seems like there is a decrease in fuel use. The first 15000km I had an average of 6,5L/100km (36mpg). Now (in the last 200km) it looks more like 5,5L/100km (42mpg)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Issue resolved!

Apparently the engine is tuned down about 30% before the first service interval (500 miles) so the registration will be cheaper.
After the first interval the limit is removed. Or should be removed, as in my case this was forgotten for the first year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same model and year. Because of time and distance, I did all my service work. Not sure it they de-tune the Tigers for the US market. I could not imagine mine is turned down. If it were not for traction control, it would pull wheelies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts