Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys at the moment I can't post in the proper forum so any help is appreciated.
My 2008 tiger 1050 is breaking my heart at the moment it is just about to go on to its 4th stator in less than 6 months how does this keep failing on me the original went then 2 spurious ones and now I need another as it died on me last night and left me stranded 'I have oxford heated grips that were not on, I have an e system scottoiler and a USB under the seat which was turned off anyone have this problem anyone know how to solve it?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Are you buying the, shall we say, attractively priced stators that are freely available on ebay? The ones with green epoxy that look like the item in the picture. If you are then I can assure you the stator itself is actually pretty good quality. The problem is the flyleads.

Let me know before I explain what the problem is and how you can fix it, or at least how I fixed a number of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
stator/regulator FIX

This is a very old problem with a standard proven FIX. The OEM "system" uses a PARELEL regulator. Thsi system regulates the output voltage by LOADING the stator to REDUCE the voltage output and thus REGULATE the voltage. This is really really stupid, as designs go. Even BMW has fielded models with this crappy system with the same results of cronic failures. You need to install a SERIES regulator,,,,$135. This reg regulates the voltage by cutting back the voltage and reducung the current in the entire system. The parellel actually loads the stator to its HIGHEST current (heating of stator) when you have the smallest load possible. The series has the lowest current flow in the lightest load. Get rid of the old style system. The reference of a mosfet means that a device is used inside the regulator that runs cooler but it still loads the crap out of the stator unless you move up to a parellel system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts