Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This maybe a dumb question but I am in the middle of a move and can't lay my hands on my manual right now... After being out of town for a month I finally got an afternoon free to ride and at first the Tiger wouldn't start. So i charged it and still no luck. Checked fuel and all fuses and started checking all the connections and cleaning anything I found dirty. Still no luck. Finally I tied the clutch open and started to feel around as I pressed the starter to see if I could feel where the click noise was coming from. It was coming from this...

Pulled it all apart and cleaned it up and finally got the bike started. Now I've noticed that although the bike seems to be running fine the orange check engine light is staying on. As funds are a little tight with moving and all I don't really wanna go to the dealer and am hoping one of you guys knows what's wrong. I checked the oil and all the connections under the seat again but just don't know... And as all my tools and the manual are stuffed in a storage unit I am a stuck with online searching and am not finding much help there...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Sorry but couldn't get your link to work for the photo,
Did you disconnect the battery to charge it?
as this will cause the engine management light to illuminate
but have you tried the three warm-up cycles?
If the fault is fixed the EML will reset!
Run the engine up to full operating temp and allow to cool fully,
then repeat twice more, providing there is no persistant fault all
should return to normal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2001 tiger...havent tried the above and hope that is the issue with mine, got a flat, ran battery down trying to put air in tube, thought was slow leak but wasnt.

·
Super Moderator
21,372 Posts
....Did you disconnect the battery to charge it?
as this will cause the engine management light to illuminate....
That is not correct - makes no difference whether battery is connected or not.
First, there is no possible mechanism for the ECU to even recognize what is going on with the battery unless the key is on as ECU has no constant power connection. But even if the ignition is turned on with a charger connected, it will still not cause an MIL fault.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts