Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just bought a new Tiger 1050 SE and had the carbon tank pad put on. This meant that the running in sticker was removed and totally forgot to make a note and was wondering if someone could supply the details

Thanks a lot

Mark:)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I'm glad to see they have changed that part. On my '07 1050, the sticker listed 0-->100 miles: 3500 rpm. That was the most painful 100 miles I have ever ridden.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
RPM's

Mark,
My new 2008 Tiger, probably purchased from the same dealership as yours (Buck's?), has a sticker that says 3500rpm for miles 0-100, and, as stated here previously by another poster, that was one long, painful, hundred miles! I am now at stage two, which limits me to 5000 rpm, which is far less arduous and mentally challenging! Hope to see you out on the road this year. Mine's in Orange, with saddlebags. I live in Tonawanda near Sheridan Park. Bill aka Olguy66

·
Registered
44 Posts
Correction

I am persuaded by the other posts that my sticker is wrong. It does say 0-300: 5000 rpm, but I'm beginning to think it is for a different bike. This is something I need to take up with the dealer as he got the bike delivered from another dealer late in the season.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I wouldn't worry a bit about it--it is history now. Many who have purchased demo bikes report very good engine results, and I doubt if any of the demo's stayed below 5000 rpm for much of the first 100 miles. Numerous heat cycles, varying rpms, no lugging, open throttle acceleration, and closed throttle deceleration are some of the things that are probably more important than the strict rpm guide for good engine break-in. Getting numerous open throttle accelerations in during the first 75 miles while keeping the rpms below 3500 rpm is VERY hard with this engine--but it can be done.

The two things that are very hard on an engine during break-in is lugging and a constant rpm, IMHO. I don't think I even shifted into 6th gear until I had more than 100 miles on the bike. I never ride it under 3000 rpm in 5th or 6th gear even today.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you take it easy during the break in, you're never going to have a great running engine. Redbird has good advice, but I wouldn't worry about keeping below the posted rev limits.

That's great

Thanks a lot

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts