Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime during my big trip this summer my 2016 800 XRX developed a ticking noise. Ticka-ticka-ticka. Very audible over the engine. I hear it when I start up cold, start up hot, and while I'm riding. It doesn't do it all the time, but often. I had the valves adjusted last year by the dealership at 14,000 miles, and didn't start noticing the sound until about 18,000 miles. My dealership has gone out of business and the new Triumph dealer kept the bike for a week, rode it, started it, and can't figure out what is wrong other than it isn't the valves, apparently.

Thoughts?

I did lose 2/3 qt. of oil over 4200 miles, which is unusual, as I haven't been down oil since the dealership didn't fill it up properly. I was riding highways and high speeds occasionally but mostly back roads. The temps were generally cool (50-70 degrees for the most part).

Another wrinkle - how long does your bike ping after shutting it off? I rode home in the heat for 90 minutes and my bike pinged for several minutes - enough time for me to unload both panniers. I don't recall it pinging for such a long time previously.

I need to find a good local mechanic. I was thinking of taking my bike 2 hours away to another dealer, who has been in business for years and presumably has experienced service people. Thought I would check with the gear heads here first.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Definitely sounds like valve adjustment. The dealer might have charged you for valve adjustment, but how do you know they actually did it? That's why I do all my own mechanics. I had a dealer check valve clearances on an Aprilia I used to own. They definitely checked the valves..........I know that, because they didn't tighten up the cam covers afterwards. Oil was pissing everywhere when I got home

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spoke with the more experienced dealership and the guy suggested it might be my cam chain tensioner. I'll have to take it in and leave it - ugh.

·
Registered
852 Posts
At least the cam tensioner is easy to get at and fix, although I doubt the tensioner is cheap if it has to be replaced. At least your labor costs should be low!

·
Super Moderator
2,842 Posts
Sorry for the delay Carol. As for the ticking, I'll almost guarantee it's the cam chain tensioner. Mine did the same thing and I changed the factory tensioner for an APE manual adjuster.

As for the pinging, mine is also the same, it'll do it for a few minutes after I shut the engine off.

And these engines seem to use a little oil on longer highway type trips/riding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts