Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy to be back after a 3 year absence. Used to frequent this forum a great bit with my 2011 Bonneville SE but them moved to a Honda CB1100 in 2013 which I absolutely loved. Just sold that bike and I am awaiting a new Thruxton R in July. What a machine.

Test rode the bike today at a local dealer. Noted the headlight switch gear on the US models is slightly different than Euro models. Euro models appear to have a grey headlight switch on the left handlebar where the US version does not.

How do the US lights work? I noted that I could pull the flash to pass switch to change from low to high beam but could not tell if the LEDs in the headlight work or not. Noted Euro models can run with LED DRL only. Is the US different due to DOT regulations? Hope someone can shed some light.

Also, if the Euro switch gear were ordered and installed on a US bike would the headlight work similar to Euro models?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
@SUPERCRUZ ...

I actually looked into this about two months ago for my Thruxton R... The LED Daytime Running Light comes with the grey switch everywhere except the US, Canada, and Japan... However, if you disconnect your headlight bulb, then the LED DRL defaults to the on position... And you can look ultra awesome & Euro, and ride around all day like your shiit don't stink... Until it gets dark out.

However, you can order the European part (part # T2041648) that is roughly $240, plus shipping... Any dealer in the UK can order this... And so can WorldOfTriumph.com. (Just type in the part # in their search thing, and you can order it.)... I haven't done it because it's just too expensive for me right now. (If you do this, PLEASE let me know how it turned out!) According to the Triumph parts diagram, the wire harness is exactly the same, and so is the base plastic piece that it bolts onto. Plus, our LED's already work as soon as the headlamp bulb is disconnected.

As far at the high beam trigger... That just turns the high beam on & off... If you have the Eruo piece, however, it just turns the high beam on & off when the headlight is switched on... While it acts as a flash to pass when the headlight is switched off.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I ordered the left side switch gear. I should see it this coming week. I'm hoping that it allows a simple swap to operate like the european version. Wish me luck.
I promise I'm NOT trying to be annoying... But you are the first, that I know of, to try this... While I'm 99% sure it will be a simple plug&play, I would love to know for sure... Could you please quote me here, and let me know how it goes either way?

And best of luck!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
@SUPERCRUZ ...
I actually looked into this about two months ago for my Thruxton R... The LED Daytime Running Light comes with the grey switch everywhere except the US, Canada, and Japan... However, if you disconnect your headlight bulb, then the LED DRL defaults to the on position... And you can look ultra awesome & Euro, and ride around all day like your shiit don't stink... Until it gets dark out.
What I think this also tells us is that if someone (Eastern Beaver?) would build a switchable connection that would fit between the stock headlight harness and the headlight bulb (assuming there is enough room in the bucket) that U.S., Canada & Japanese bikes could easily turn the headlight on and off. The LED DRL light is on when the U.S. headlight is on. So maybe this could be done much less expensively than buying the Euro switch/harness???

·
Registered
107 Posts
I plan to post. Though by your post I'm now a bit concerned. I ordered part number T2041822, which is showing as the LH instrument control for the Thruxton R. The part number that you posted, T2041648, shows as the LH control for the Thruxton. I guess that I'll find out when it all arrives this week if there are issues. The part numbers for the Thruxton and the Thruxton R are different according to Bike Bandit.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Thanks!!!

Hmmm... Not sure what your part number refers to... But if you type the part # I supplied, in the worldoftriumph.com data-base, it says LH assembly-DRL.

ALSO, when I bought my bike, of course everyone was super helpful at that time, and didn't mind me looking on the dealer's computer... That where I studies and saw that it clearly showed the North American part # (which I didn't store in my phone at the time), and the European part #. Which clearly showed that it was the one with the DRL switch... And that it clearly bolted to the same base that the North American bike have... (I also saw the US dealer cost of the part, which was $214.)

I'm hoping you didn't order the part that you bike already has on it! (The North American LH assembly.)

UPDATE: I just checked to see what worldoftriumph.com lists your part # as... And it just says "Switchcube, inst control, LH"... I'm hoping that isn't just the same North American piece we already have... When I type my part # on their site, it's just a few bucks more, and it says "Control Assy, LH, DRL".

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did a search of the PN that you posted and it showed that it was for the Thruxton. The search of the PN that I posted was for the Thruxton R. It appears as if there may be differences between the two on the clutch side. I know that the brake side is totally different because I bought new levers from Triumph and they DO NOT fit the R model.

Check the part numbers against schematic diagrams at Bike Bandit.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome info guys. Thanks for the quick replies. Hope this helps others with the same questions.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
@Desertwndrr ... Well definitely let me know what happens! Ha! This is something I want to do eventually for sure... I suppose it is definitely possible the parts guy pulled up the diagrams for the standard Thruxton instead of the R... I don't think he did, but who knows... I was so nervous that day since I was spending all that money for something that only has two wheels and no power windows. Ha!

I wanted the Triumph billet levers too... I guess they don't make them for the R because of the Brembo brake master cylinder... I even checked with Brembo to see if they offer one of their black Billet non-folding levers for that particular master cylinder, and they don't... They do offer that stock alloy lever we have, in black though. (Cheap too.) But Triumph doesn't make our stock alloy lever in black. (I looked as much as I could, and didn't see any other Triumph bikes that come with our standard alloy adjustable lever in black... And I don't want 'Wal-Mart' billet levers since I'm admittedly a brand-whore... So I'll just keep the stockers... Unless anyone knows a stock Triumph model that has black levers.)

Update: You're totally right! The part number I listed is for the standard Thruxton 1200... And the part number you listed is for the R... I can't believe the only thing I didn't do myself that morning, was log onto the parts guy's computer, and pull up the correct particular model... Obviously he had to do that part first, before he turned the screen around to me, and let me study everything for myself... (I should have known better, since he had one hand on his parts keyboard and the other glued to his Twitter-phone.) Good thing I didn't pull the trigger on it that morning! I swear, if you don't do everything yourself, when it comes to something of your own, no one takes the extra 2 seconds to give a shiit... Unreal... Well again, thanks for chiming in on this post... Now I know for sure... Ok, I'm done typing my 8:30 am novel... Thanks again though!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I plan to post. Though by your post I'm now a bit concerned. I ordered part number T2041822, which is showing as the LH instrument control for the Thruxton R. The part number that you posted, T2041648, shows as the LH control for the Thruxton. I guess that I'll find out when it all arrives this week if there are issues. The part numbers for the Thruxton and the Thruxton R are different according to Bike Bandit.
Keep us updated. I definitely plan to do this mod to my bike if it is just a plug and play type install.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'll be happy to post up as soon as I've been able to put it all together. I did go back and do some checking with photos of bikes. Definitely different parts between the Classic and R versions. The switch housing is sitting in KY right now going through a customs check. Hope to see it soon.

I also bought the adjustable levers at my dealer. Even though they listed the R, they do not fit. JPR had some shorty levers that do fit. Many other options through eBay as well. The issue is that the brake side levers are different. The clutch side levers are interchangeable between Classis and R models.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just ordered the part T2041822 from World of Triumph. My bike is on order and inbound. Will install upon delivery. Thanks for the posts guys.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I'll be happy to post up as soon as I've been able to put it all together. I did go back and do some checking with photos of bikes. Definitely different parts between the Classic and R versions. The switch housing is sitting in KY right now going through a customs check. Hope to see it soon.

I also bought the adjustable levers at my dealer. Even though they listed the R, they do not fit. JPR had some shorty levers that do fit. Many other options through eBay as well. The issue is that the brake side levers are different. The clutch side levers are interchangeable between Classis and R models.
I guess it is on the page before this one now... But I wrote you a nice novel, letting you know that YOUR part number was the correct one, and MY part # was for the standard Thruxton 1200... And Also some info about the the levers on the Thruxton R's as well... I "mentioned" your user name in the beginning, so you would be notified, but maybe it didn't work... Cheers

·
Registered
107 Posts
I read it. Thanks.

Further review of the schematics shows a shorting link for the US versions of our bikes. Part number T2502511. If I'm correct, I'd bet that simply removing that link would accomplish the same thing as a new switch assembly. I'd also bet that it would be simple to wire in a small switch in place of that shorting link to activate the DRL functions. Tons of micro switches out there that can be found and drilled into the stock housing. Five minutes with a Phillips screwdriver will confirm.

The shorting link is the same for both the Classic and the R.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was wrong. There is more to it. I found the shorting link behind the headlight but there is additional wiring in the connector that leads to the DRL. Inside the housing there is also no wiring for the DRL switch. I guess that I'll wait until tomorrow when my switch housing shows up. The schematic does not show a pigtail from the housing but I am hoping that there is one otherwise I may need to track down additional wiring. I'll update tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
... Maybe that high price for what we assume is just a plastic housing with a switch, has some sort of simple internal electronics that allows for "plug & play' operation?!? I can't imagine it would be cost effective to go nuts with wiring, just for the sake of eliminating a simple switch.

Anyway, thanks for the good detective work. And I look forward to reading about tomorrow's outcome. Best of luck!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was wrong. There is more to it. I found the shorting link behind the headlight but there is additional wiring in the connector that leads to the DRL. Inside the housing there is also no wiring for the DRL switch. I guess that I'll wait until tomorrow when my switch housing shows up. The schematic does not show a pigtail from the housing but I am hoping that there is one otherwise I may need to track down additional wiring. I'll update tomorrow.
Did you have to remove the mirror and grip to take the control module apart or are there simply two screws on the bottom that clamp it in place on the bar? Great investigative work by the way. Boy, I hope we can just plug the new Euro switch in place and go.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Did you have to remove the mirror and grip to take the control module apart or are there simply two screws on the bottom that clamp it in place on the bar? Great investigative work by the way. Boy, I hope we can just plug the new Euro switch in place and go.
Just two screws on the front side and it comes off easily.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts