Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have the opportunity to purchase a brand new (in the crate), black Thunderbird LT. I am waffling between this and the new Speedmaster in black. Has anyone had the opportunity to ride both? I really like the Speedmaster, but am concerned it may be too small. The Thunderbird is more expensive by $2000, and discontinued. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Hello all,
I have the opportunity to purchase a brand new (in the crate), black Thunderbird LT. I am waffling between this and the new Speedmaster in black. Has anyone had the opportunity to ride both? I really like the Speedmaster, but am concerned it may be too small. The Thunderbird is more expensive by $2000, and discontinued. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jason
Different ballpark. If you want a real cruiser set up for touring, get the LT. I’ve read here that the SM is not very comfortable.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I rode a SM at my dealer. great performance but much too compact for me. I have a 2009 America that I find very comfortable. It is significantly more roomy than the new SM. I also have a T-Bird that is the ultimate in comfort IMHO.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Hello all,

Jason
I too considered the SM, but after trying both decided on the Thunderbird Storm. I felt the SM was just a little too small for me. I would say it depends on your size, riding experience and what you want from the bike in terms of performance and use.

Enjoy the ride on whatever you decide. :CanadianFlag

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the comments. I am really leaning towards the LT. I have found a 2016 LT for sale, that I am going to take a look at to gauge my preference. Quick question. Is it worth going with a new bike (0 miles, 2 year warranty), if I can get a used one with less than 100 miles for 5 grand less? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Thanks for all the comments. I am really leaning towards the LT. I have found a 2016 LT for sale, that I am going to take a look at to gauge my preference. Quick question. Is it worth going with a new bike (0 miles, 2 year warranty), if I can get a used one with less than 100 miles for 5 grand less? Thanks.
The 2016 hasn’t had its first service! Hopefully no one trashed the transmission. When I sold my 2012 TBird, the out of state buyer arranged for my local dealer to check out the bike, at his expense. Doing this could be reassuring, plus, $5K could buy a lot of repairs. Hopefully you can test drive it.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Five grand...hmmm, for a hundred miles I’d go with the used one, but that’s just me.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
If you’re looking at a new TB LT still in the crate and it’s more expensive than the new speedmaster.. I’d walk away. Tbird values are very low and that bird will be worth half of what you paid the minute you drive it off the lot. I think the bird is a far better bike.. as the SM is physically too small. But the TB is also discontinued and that matters to some people - as parts and accessories are harder to find.

If you like the Tbird.. I’d look at a low mileage used one. You’ll prob spend half what you’re gonna spend for either of the new bikes you’re looking at now.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Think about it this way. Do you buy the bike to ride or to resell? The LT is a heavyweight cruiser that outperforms stock HDs. The SM is a "piggy in the middle".

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input. The 2016 LT with less than 100 miles is a private seller at $10K. I am sold on the TBird LT over the SM, just trying to figure out the best deal. I was going to trade in two bikes for the new one. But now I think I may try to sell on my own and have the cash ready for a private seller.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The only caveat is that the private sale may get away from you in the time it takes to liquidate the other two bikes. If you can somehow swing the cashflow, grab the bike you want and then quickly liquidate the others.

That being said, it's a tough market for used bikes. I just sold a 2015 BMW F800GT that cost $15,500 new for $6250. Last season I was trying to get +$8,000. Frustrated, I pulled it off the market. Lesson learned: if you want to liquidate a bike fast and get cash in hand...see what similar machines are being offered on the market and discount back from the going rate about 10-15%. Clean the bikes to within an inch of their lives, take clear pics at close range against a clean background on a bright but overcast day for good detail, list the bikes on cycletrader.com with no-nonsense descriptions...and wait for the serious buyers to start contacting you. I've found it's worth it to spend a little and go with the 20-photo package. Money well spent.

Reference pics

·
Registered
576 Posts
Back to the original question....

I have a Commander and at the last service a few weeks ago I had a new Speedmaster as a loaner.

I really liked it. A lot easier to handle than the Commander and far more comfortable than I expected. Faster and nimbler than the Commander and relatively hi-tech for a cruiser!

I've a 29" inside leg and am 5' 8" and it felt right for me.

I enjoyed the ride and I would definitely consider it as a replacement for the Commander except.... the tank size (about 12 litres)

I do about 4000 miles a year and most of it is long distance tours and the restricted range is a real issue for me.

If I was only doing short trips it would be on my list.

·
Registered
52 Posts
...a few weeks ago I had a new Speedmaster as a loaner...
I enjoyed the ride and I would definitely consider it...except.... the tank size (about 12 litres).
I also like the Speedmaster, but that fuel tank size is a deal-killer.

Reactions: dickenbacker

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
No offense, but $10k for a used bird is over priced by 30-50%. I’ve seen brand new left overs with full warranty selling for less.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts