Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiall, I have just bought a'99 T-Bird and it still has the original tyres on, Batlax?? What is considered to be good all round tyres for these beautiful bikes??:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I put a set of Pirellis Sport Demons on. Front 110/80, rear 150/80. Got a good deal online from Ridenow the start of summer, $78 for the front $105 for the rear. At first I thought they felt a little 'strange'. Bike just felt different. After riding a bit, they seemed to get broken in and feel pretty good now. I don't ride the bike hard, so for how I ride they feel good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ditto - Avon Storms ---

When I got my '99 Thunderbird Sport in September '07, it only had 2,200 miles on the clock. The tires looked good and I put 1,100 (dry road) miles on them before checking the date code. They turned out to be the originals and, of course, they were 8 years old. I put on some Avon Storms and, after 5,300 miles, I'd buy the same thing again in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
For the Thunderbird, you have to go with the AzarroST's
The Storms are not made in the proper sizes.

Click

I've had Azarro's on the TBS for about 10 or 12K miles.
Now have Storms, but not so many miles yet.

They are both good tyres, the Storms are definitely an improvement.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can't find any proper radial sizes for my t-bird. The closest I found are the Azaro ST's at:
120/80ZR-16 (instead of 110/80)-front
150/80ZR-18 (instead of 160/80)-rear
I'm not sure how the handling would be with the front wider and the rear more narrow.
Anybody try this combo, or know of a current matched fitment?

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Assuming you have the Thunderbird and not the TBS, 110/80 front and 150/80 rear are the sizes recommended by Triumph.

Avon produce the Storm Ultra 2 in 110/80ZR18 (which has recently superseded the Storm ST). You can fit this in conjunction with an Azaro ST 150/80ZR16 on the rear.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Capt. Sensible,

Please explain how to read a tire's date code.

Thank you!
From http://www.amadirectlink.com/roadride/Riderresc/tires.asp

"Look on the side for a raised block with four digits; it's usually next to the U.S. DOT tire identification number. The first two indicate the week of its manufacture, and the last two are for the year. For example, 1702 would indicate the tire was manufactured in April, 2002. Prior to 2000, there were only three digits, with the last one indicating the year."

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have the Michelines, think they are 15 yrs old, think they let me down on Tuesday, when I went down , hard on the high side, was sliding on left side then hit the curb, up & over onto the grass.... nothing broken, everything hurtin.....avon for me

1 - 17 of 17 Posts