Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've watched the incomplete video on the Thunderbird valve adjustmen, didn't actually show changing the shims or removing cams, did explain it.
Then someone, somewhere mentioned changing the shims out without removing cams.
If this is possible, I'm really interested.
I remember the Rocket had a tool to compress the bucket to change shims.
Open to any information

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seeing as I have not had the valve cover off yet.
I have know way of knowing if you can compress the valve spring by prying down the shin cup with a screwdriver & removing the shim with compressed air or a magnet?
I’m just curious if this is possible?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
If you're prying down on the shim, how could you expect to remove it?

·
Registered
225 Posts
With The triples there is a tool that bolts to the cam caps, compressing the edge of the bucket so you can draw the shim out with a magnet. I have one for my old Tiger. This is not possible for the T-Bird valve train. Your manual will explain the procedure to use, removal of the Cam Shaft(s). You may not have any out of spec. I’ve only had to change one in 48K.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I had mine done at 12,000 miles and all were in spec. $1200. This leads me to a question, at $100 a shop hour shouldn't a valve check cost less than an adjustment? hour to an hour and a half different?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Absolutely Steve. If they are all in spec the camshafts stay in place. That means the alternator cover and rotor stay on too. I’ve always done my own, and I’m slow. If I cost $100.00 per hour I’d charge $1,000.00 if they were all in and $1,500.00 if I had to change any shims.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had mine done at 12,000 miles and all were in spec. $1200. This leads me to a question, at $100 a shop hour shouldn't a valve check cost less than an adjustment? hour to an hour and a half different?
It took 12 hours just to check valve clearances ?

JJ

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
coarse not, but that is my point. While gaskets and fluids have some cost I would expect to pay less if the cams don't have to be removed. Alas my bike was in spec and between the maintenance and tires I couldn't afford to ride it and traded it for an R3 that has valve cks every 20,000 miles at a cost of $550 from the same shop!

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
The tires are a wash, surprisingly my storm ate tires at the same rate as the r3. If maintenance costs were the same I would have kept my tbird. Think about i, I put 12000 miles on my storm the first season and figuring out how I was going to save up for the next 12k is why I traded it. To me having 20k to come up with $550 sounded a lot more manageable. they gave me $9500 for my storm to boot. Model was only on its 3rd year and expectations were still high.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sounds like you were looking for an excuse to get an R3 to me.
It's easy to pull the cams on the Thunderbird and I'll bet it's not needed very often.
The Thunderbird gets better mileage and has a larger tank for more range.
Enjoy your Rocket.

JJ

1 - 16 of 16 Posts